My SMT Millennium Falcon

Sciford

It's been a very long time in the history of this kit build, almost 20 years from the start. Anyway, I'm back at it with a vengeance. It's neither a copy of the 32" nor the 5 ft filming miniatures. Rather, maker Alfred Wong was going more the "feel" of the Falcon ( at least that's how I understood it). It's 28 inches from front to back end. Here's my progress so far...
image.jpg
image.jpg

Wow, this looks great, could you post some more images of it?
Is it a modified MPC kit? It definitely has been based on the 5 foot (ESB) version of the ship

J

I have one of these - one of the very few SMT got out before the C&D. Its a 1/48 scale version of the Falcon... and yes its not totally accurate. But what it is - is a combination of the 5 footer and the 32". Its has a lot of the "detailing" based off the 32" but the hull shape more like the 5 footer. Its too bad not more were produced... Your lighting job looks pretty impressive. With all the landing lights on though you might want to think of using the landing gear and displaying "parked" :D. Just a thought.

Love this kit...

Jedi Dade

I have one of these - one of the very few SMT got out before the C&D. Its a 1/48 scale version of the Falcon... and yes its not totally accurate. But what it is - is a combination of the 5 footer and the 32". Its has a lot of the "detailing" based off the 32" but the hull shape more like the 5 footer. Its too bad not more were produced... Your lighting job looks pretty impressive. With all the landing lights on though you might want to think of using the landing gear and displaying "parked" :D. Just a thought.

Love this kit...
Jedi Dade

I got the lighting arrangement based on what could be seen in the dvd's as well as the Corellian Freighter blueprints. i plan to display it at an angle and about 8 inches over an oval mirror, via lengths of 1" dia acrylic rod. Here's a few more detail shots where I've been adding little bits n pieces to it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Theres so much to look at, plenty of detail, it sure is a beauty

The cockpit is lit really well, is the back wall moulded in clear then painted?

J

J

Looks like a printed transparency graphic to me...maybe Ozzy's? The detail on this is bulky but I don't think that it detracts at all from the model, would love to have one of these!

J

The back panel is a paper print out I found about 12 years ago...no idea where from. I colour photocopied it to size on regular color photocopy paper, then laminated it. After that, I peeled the paper away which left the "first layer" ( dunno if paper is made in layers but it worked) as a sort of transparency. Stuck that to a thin sheet of styrene, then cut, mounted and backlit it with a single LED in a flashlight reflector housing. It's really not that bright, just effective enough in dim lights. If I was to do it again now, I'd probably use a different graphic.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back