my "smallville-esque" lex K ring

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I hit the dvd, and did a ton of screencapping.

what i discovered was the one made for the show was VERY VERY custom. the overall gem shape was almost a reverse hourglass shape. the ring was gold, and the gem was faceted just up on the top sides, nowhere else.

since the ring was a custom jobby, and i am WAY too cheap to actually buy a gold ring to semi destroy making something, i opted for a "version" of the ring :)

I am working on a mod that lights up the stone with EL sheeting, but im not having much luck with it right now.

ive had it done for a while, but never thought to show it off. im digging it. its pretty bright, reflective, and i kept it with a rough look to the gems top to help it throw the light around. the sides are still faceted leading down to the sides of the ring though. looks terrific in person, and this lil ******* SINGS in daylight.

i think it came out pretty well ;), course i might be a bit biased on that.

onto the pics.
ring.jpg

ring1.jpg

ring2.jpg

and the light up. pardon the rather horrible shot, best focus i could get. this lil bastards bright in the dark as well. its really more of an emerald color, more like a brightly lit neon. hard to photograph though.
glow.jpg

glow1.jpg

im very happy :D

chris

like i said, its a "version".

i had a jeweler look up what it would run to make the ring from the screencaps, and his estimate was pretty big.

total cost on this thing so far is maybe 16 dollars minus shipping for the ring :lol

ill take inaccurate over $$$$$ anyday :lol

chris

One of my best friends owns a jewelry store, we spent the better part of a day loking at the ring and trying to figure it out, we have found a 95% accurate base and I am in the process of having Rob over at replicaprops.com, make a screen accurate ring, so far the total cost has been under $75, And I agree with ya I am allways up for finding an enexpensive way to make a prop over the expensive. I like the stylized version you did as well

yea, the ring is a custom jobby for sure (hero ring). its got an oddly shaped gem, plus its got some weird facet job on the top done as well.

i went with neon green plexi in 1/8th inch, sanded it on the belt sander, and popped it into the ring. glued it down, and hopefully tonight i will have it wired up with EL sheet to let it glow bright bright green.

id love to get a chance to see the hero ring from the show though, that one must have been a freaking work of art. all those electronics in one tiny tiny package. theres a reason they make the big bucks.

chris

I doubt they had a ring that had a compact lighting system in it, 9 out of 10 times in a scene like this there would be hidden wires up the sleeve or the glow effect was done as a special effect after it was filmed.

im thinking el sheeting behind the gem, and wires running down his palm.

still, i know the nightmare im having with the el sheet i have getting the damn thing to actually glow, but still be far enough in the ring to still be wearable. or at least have the damned contacts stay put when i put the sheeting into the ring.

the hero one had to be a pretty sweet setup. that or that gem was about 1/16th inch thick, and the ring itself sat pretty far off the top of his finger.

either way, id still love a peek at it :lol

hopefully tonight ill have this one fixed up with the EL lighting, and itll be a static display as its already kinda tight on my finger.

keep me updated on the ring you get made, id love to see some progress pics of it.

chris

wow, that is damned close.

if i would have found that ring, i might have made a more accurate version than i made ;)

if you need any caps or anything, i think i still have the best ones i could pull out of that episode on that dvd. just let me know and ill email em or post em up.

chris

I have plenty of Screencaps. been making a lot of Smaville stuff lately, Im just got the bracelet from "Tomb", the Kryptonite inhaler from "Witness" and the Locket from "Vengance". :)

i cant wait to get mine finished and working either, but just to be on the safe side, im not really making a run of these things. just one shiny light up one for me :)

maybe one or two others if time/money permits, but im not looking to offer these up as a run.

ill probably snag one of wrap's when they get em done though :)

chris

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back