My Sidious saber prop

bwize

Sr Member
Well, I got my machined emitter section back from my friend and here is a look at where I am currently. I made a mistake and gave him an incorrect measurment on the lenght of the section right below the emitter (you will see) but I think that it still looks OK. He says that he can correct it if I want him to. It was machined out of brass and aluminum and screws togethter.

From the begining, I knew mine was going to be a bit out of scale cause I couldn't find the correct diameter of pvc pipe, so I went about 10-15% smaller with a pvc pipe I was able to find. The pommel? is not completed yet, but the angle is cut.

Let me know what ya think?

mysidssaberside.jpg

mysidssabertop.jpg

mysidssaberbottom.jpg

mysidssaberpromo.jpg

mysidssaberscale.jpg

Originally posted by Star Wars Man@Feb 27 2006, 09:33 PM
nice, although i think those led colors are wrong
[snapback]1195040[/snapback]​

Nope, they're correct. Same as MR prop.

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/...-rots-le-28.jpg

I am sending the emitter (top most round disk) back with the machinist to tweak it a bit. It's too long and wide. It is machined in three sections, so this makes this kind of correction easy.

After that, it will look darn near perfect, albiet out of scale. The leds are not permanently attached yet, those will get epoxied in last.

I have to say it looks great. I;ve never seen one "in progress" What are you going to use to paint the rest of the hilt?

Wow. Excellent...
Did you carve that out of PVC pipe?
How did you make the handle?
Do you have a source for the LED's? ;)

Hey thanks everyone for the encouraging words. Here are a few updated pics of the new emitter. I think it looks much better.

sidssabernewside.jpg

sidssabernewpromo.jpg

A quick tutorial:

I scaled a side/top bottom profile of the MR and took some measurments. I couldn't find PVC pipe of the correct diameter, so , I scaled it down to roughly 7 inches and found an exact match. I then used a two part epoxie resin and poured a plug of the inside of the PVC pipe. Using the MR as reference, I made a template to use to cut out the sections on the PVC pipe. It took a few attempts, on both paper and pipe, but I think I got it pretty accurate. I then marked the cut out areas on the plug and used my dremel to slowly carve the plug to what it is now. That took about three attempts to as I have never carved anything in my life. I then took the 7 inch scaled image and took some measurments of the emitter section and gave that to a guy at work to machine for me.

I got the LEDS from DIGI-KEY (800-344-4539) parts #'s 350-1480-ND (Green) and 350-1474-ND )RED). You will have to remove the wire and LED (the lens is what you actually see) and cut them down a bit. I plan on using ALCLAD to finish it. I still have the pommell to complete and I plan on working on that tonight. The PVC is a bit dirty, but the nice thing is, the emitter section screws into the body, so I can just remove it and clean and paint/finish without damaging it.

Great information thanks...and you did a splendid job for your first carve...
It's a splendid job no matter what :)

Beautiful.

Great job, I think it's looking very good. thanks for the infomration. Please be sure to update when you get more done.

Originally posted by Primrodo@Mar 3 2006, 09:32 AM
Theres versions?
[snapback]1197880[/snapback]​
Yeah the first version is the one we see in the movies, and the one that MR had done. The other version has black trim instead of the "gold" trim. Plus I believe it also has a covertec clip.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back