My Shining Overlook Table-Top Maze Build - WIP

deck5

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Having watched Adam Savage's recent maze build, I've set out to make my own. There are a number of choices I've made differently, including certain measurements, the overall scale, and the choice of materials.

I first researched the dimensions, did the photogrammetry, built the maze graphic, and did a little 3D work to be sure I was on the right track.

3dmodel.jpg

The base for the model is plywood with a beveled basswood frame, with the maze map printed to scale and glued on top -- roughly 3 feet x 4 feet in size. The map graphics include a grass verge around the base of each hedge, and gravel everywhere else.

base.jpg

I have almost no experience with either building scale miniatures or working with pink foam, but I figured the miniatures to be the hardest part, so that's where I started. I built the gift-shop first:

giftshopbuild.jpggiftshop.jpggiftshopbuild1.jpg

And then the map kiosk. Seemed like a good idea at the time to mitre the map frame; probably not worth the effort at that scale! I drilled out the basswood uprights with a hand-held pin vise and a very small bit. They're about the size of matchsticks.

kioskmap.jpgkiosklegs.jpgkioskbuild1.jpgkioskbuild2.jpgkioskfinal.jpg

The maze is built from 1/2" pink foam board.

905951_prime_7.jpg

The entrance is built up out of layers of foam glued together:

entrybuild1.jpgentrybuild2.jpg

And the front wall is likewise a layered construction. The blind arches came out a little deeper than I wanted, so I've brought the level up with 1/8" white foam inserts. The pilasters are a two-part construction, with the top as a small cube, and the front as a thin strip covering the entire vertical distance.

The paint is all dollar-store acrylics, with train grass brushed on over spray glue.

wallbuild1.jpgwallbuild2.jpgwallbuild3.jpg

Here's the result thus far. The little bench is made from plastic and balsa wood.

sofar21jun2015.jpg

"How do you like it?"

Last edited:
Pretty awesome. I just don't understand how everyone has so much room to make and display things like this :lol

Sweet I love this maze! I mapped out the maze a bit ago for a project and spotted a difference in Savage's model either done on purpose or by accident I couldn't tell you. I used the map from the map kiosk as my reference for my project and came across the difference. the first image is Savages and the 2nd is the map from the kiosk. Good luck on yours. looks like you got a great start.
Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 3.46.08 PM.png1_0.png

Sweet I love this maze! I mapped out the maze a bit ago for a project and spotted a difference in Savage's model either done on purpose or by accident I couldn't tell you.

I see. The table-top model doesn't have that difference, either. Perhaps it was part of the adjustments he had to make to get everything to line up.

Good luck on yours. looks like you got a great start.

Thanks! :)

Ahh Nice. Great detective work on tracking that down. After looking at this map and all the differences over and over I definitely get that feeling from the movie when they zoomed out of the maze :) Cant wait to see how it goes.

The castellated walls enclosing the central gallery, painted but not yet flocked. These are the last of the complex parts.

heart1.jpg

Looking very good so far:) I like your attitude concerning the room for your model " worry after the model is built":D

Thanks for the feedback! It's in the middle stretch now, lots of wall building.

Here's the latest bits, in various stages of completion.

Attachments

• walls1.jpg
    walls1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 144
I'm a bit late to the fun .. but I think I have some pics of the model on display at the Kubrick exhibition when it was in Amsterdam .. pretty sure it wasn't the original model though.

Nope .. definately not the original .... perhaps an early studymodeel ... or just something quickly thrown together for the exhibition.

IMG_1916 by KrokoHunter, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

Can't remember if there is anything good in the Kubrick Archive book ..... could check

Nope .. definately not the original .... perhaps an early studymodeel ... or just something quickly thrown together for the exhibition.
- - - Updated - - -
Can't remember if there is anything good in the Kubrick Archive book ..... could check

Definitely not a studio model -- I believe that was built for the exhibit. It's an interpretation of the enlarged maze that appears when Jack looks down into the tabletop model -- different layout entirely. The original desktop model would have been lost in the studio fire.

I have the Archive book. There are a couple of good reference shots.

It's just a matter of settling into the habit of building every day.

Attachments

• 2015july7.jpg
    2015july7.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 103

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back