My Severus Snape wand replica build

StephenMG

Hi all,

Just thought I'd show you my efforts to build a Snape wand for my daughter. She has a couple already, a Dumbledore wand from Universal Florida and a Voldemort one from the Studio Tour in London, and I've always thought "I could have made those myself!" so I'm having a go with a Snape wand.

Raw materials are a handful of the same cinnabar beads used in the making of the original film prop, a length of M4 stainless steel studding, a 10mm Ramin dowel and some black Milliput.
IMG_20190303_204908181 (Custom).jpg

Unfortunately all the beads were a slightly different size so I picked the two that were closest, moulded them and cast a few copies in black resin. I drilled a hole through them so they could be mounted on the studding.
IMG_20190303_205217897 (Custom).jpg

I popped the dowel in the lathe, drilled a 4mm hole into one end so it could be stuck onto the studding and tapered it appropriately using sandpaper. I then epoxied the dowel and beads in the proper positions.
IMG_20190303_205538601 (Custom).jpg

A short length of drilled dowel was glued on to form the core of the 'pommel'. Sculpting with the Milliput could then begin.
IMG_20190305_081337660 (Custom).jpg

This is how it stands at the moment. Studding is cut off, sculpting is complete, just needs a little more smoothing and tidying before painting.
IMG_20190309_095052497_BURST000_COVER (Custom).jpg

I cast the beads in black resin and used black Milliput so that black would still show if any paint was chipped in the future! I'll be painting directly onto the wood however as I want the grain and texture to show through the paint. I've never really liked the smooth look of the Noble Collection wand - wands are supposed to made of wood after all!

Finished article photo coming soon!

Thank you RJN! My favourite wand too I think - love the elegant design.

I got the beads from a company called Beadworks UK Ltd. Unfortunately when I ordered them a few weeks back their website said they were closing down soon so I was very lucky. I've just tried their website again, www.beadworks.co.uk, and it seems they have now closed. :( I don't know if this design of bead is available anywhere else.

Do you happen to know the exact name of the bead design? I am looking to make my own replica and I have found some beads that were close but not as good as these beauties you've tracked down.

Do you happen to know the exact name of the bead design? I am looking to make my own replica and I have found some beads that were close but not as good as these beauties you've tracked down.

Sorry DrHoot, I've dug out the original order but they don't seem to have a proper name. They're just described as "35x14mm Rectangular Cinnabar Carved Lacquer Beads" which probably isn't much help. Sadly the shop has now closed down but they were accepting customer services e-mails for a while so maybe it's worth trying dropping them a message, e-mail address is on their Facebook page - Beadworks UK

Looks absolutely amazing!

Thanks!

Wand looks awesome. Too bad the shop closed down, would love to get ahold of some of these beads. Dont suppose you would be interested in selling off some casted ones from the mold you made?

Hi! I've found this thread belatedly, are you still interested in selling some of those beads?
I've been looking for SS's wand beads quit some time, but still couldn't find a way to get one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back