My seven year old is obsessed with David S. Pumpkins, man! Any questions?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
First off, for those who aren't familiar, watch this SNL skit, then discuss.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rS00xWnqwvI

So I stumbled across this sketch about six months ago and it's silly but funny. Then the wife watched it and she felt the same. Since then we make little jokes around the house referencing David Pumkins and we laugh. We'll even watch the skit from time to time.
Last weekend we went to the Spirit store and what did we find? They sell THE suit that Tom Hanks wore, make no mistake. We laughed SO hard. Then my son wanted to know what was so funny so we showed him the skit. He thought it was the funniest damned thing. He'S been quoting David Pumpkins all week and now wants to be him for Halloween (thus abandoning his Indiana Jones costume!) now I'm discovering that this is actually "a thing". Hell, Funko made figures!!!

Any questions?
Yeah, what is the massive appeal of this six minute skit? I mean, they even made an animated Halloween special based on the skit!

Love that skit, not sure why. It's just quirky and stupid and I felt like the guy in the elevator, "yeah I have a lot of questions".

image.jpg

I have a notoriously absurdist/surrealist sense of humor so, for me, David S Pumpkins is one of the funniest things SNL has done in decades. In fact I was shocked that SNL would do something as "out there" as this sketch is. Tom Hanks really needs to take a break from serious roles and be funny again.

Yeah, it's the absurdity of the sketch that makes it. Although I'd say it's the absurdity plus some specific elements like the song they picked to dance to, which in and of itself is just funny. The whole thing comes together perfectly.

I finally saw this the other day on accident and laughed out loud. I never "got it" and i still dont, and thats the joke.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back