My second ever prop project. Han Solo in Carbonite...i mean MYSELF in Carbonite

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Catgrabber, May 15, 2012.

1. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Since i was a kid i loved the entire "han solo frozen in carbonite" scene. I recently decided to make one but took it a step in a new direction. By no means does it compare to the ones i have seen on this awesome board but I created mine using 75% methods i discovered. Im sure other guys have used them but I tried to be are genuine as possible. I did use the core "body and clothes" creation method by a member on here. FANTASTIC WORK! As i mentioned, his is by far better then mine but mine has a twist. ..

I want to show you guys step by step how to put YOURSELF IN A LIFESIZE REPLICA OF CARBONITE LIKE I DID.

Take a look...

2. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

I am far from done but this will give you an idea. I know i made countless errors if i want to be accurate with the movie prop but i swear if it sits outside (and i live on a busy road) at least 10 people will stop in a day and ask questions and are amazed by my sloppy project. Let me post a split screen shot of my face so you can see the resemblance.

3. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Here are a few pics to give you an idea....

4. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Here you can get an idea of how i was able to preserve a few of my features...

5. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Again, by no means is this a replica. Im certain there are 1000 things not accurate but it is an ongoing process and tons of fun. It is very sloppy compared to most on here A few more pics...

6. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

I wanted to use all my clothes and body parts. So, those are replicas of my hands, a pair of old boots etc. The night i made my fave and hand i took a pencil and drew in facial hair.

Let me tell you something guys...you never REALLY see yourself in 3D. Pics and videos are all 2D. If you want to have an erie feeling come over you, make a replica of yourself. Heres a pic of the face and hand the night i made em out of bondo and plaster of paris...

7. toneeboyy

toneeboyy New Member

That is so cool man! That would look great haning on the wall at Jaba's Palace! :lol

Do you have any other pictures of the build process? Or can you link to some of the other threads that you used on this forum? You can private message me those if you want.

8. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Nice.

I have the same project on my "to do" list.

9. Mrkipling

Mrkipling New Member

Very cool :D

10. freezen2001

freezen2001 New Member

do you always leave it outside?!? I'd be afraid someone would steal it!

11. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

Shouldn't this be in the prop section? Not general modeling?

12. disposablepal

disposablepal Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

that's pretty awesome, i would love to see the steps involved. i might take the task of making one of myself to put in my office :)

13. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

The process is pretty easy and again, i am not even close to a professional. Essentially the hardest part is making the hands and face. Heres how...

1. Fill a plastic container with simple plaster of paris. You can get it at wallmart, meiers, craft stores etc. Add 1 part water to 3 parts plaster of paris (same as the directions state)

2. Whatever body part you are making a mold of you must cover it in vasalene or petroleum jelly (even lotion if you must) The point here is to apply lubricant. Be sure to not cake it on. Just a thin layer covering every part of you that will be in the plaster. If you decide to do your face, be certain to plug your nose with tissue or nose plugs. Lastly, when molding your face you need to breath unless you can hold your breath for 22 minutes so fasten a thin straw or tube so it wraps around and out of the box where your face will be.

3. After the above steps are completed stir the plaster until it looks like pancake batter. Trust me it gets hard fast so be ready to dive in. Slowly submerge your greased up face into the container. Be sure to test your breathing tube beforehand of course.

4. Wait and experience what it would actually feel like to be encased in carbonite. At first it feels soft and comfy. Slowly it gets harder and harder. Dont panic if it feels like its glued to your face. Its not and if you pull your face out early you will ruin it. Trust me, you want to keep your face submerged as long as you can.

5. After 20 mins to a half hour take one hand and feel the plaster. If it isnt 100% solid then its not done. If it is solid, slowly start to wiggle your face muscles. You will feel it slowly slipping off.

6. One you come out be ready for a bit of disorientation. Take the container and the imprint of your face and let it dry overnight.

7. The next day get a can of regular bondo. The stuff they use to fix rusty cars and such. Mix in the hardening creme as directed on the can. Be SURE to mix it to the point where the bondo has no swirles or different colors. Mix it until its one color. The hardening creme needs to be throughput the bondo. Before pouring in the bondo i like to apply another coat of vasaleene into the mold. I use a small paintbruss to just barely apply it evenly so the face comes out easy. Finally, pour the bondo slowly into your plaster face mold. Make sure you pour it even.

8. Heres the fun part. Bondo hardens VERY FAST and you can easily tell when its done because it gets very hot to the touch during the hardening phase. After 30 mins it will be hard as a rock. Literally. If you want to be safe leave it in overnight. If you are an impatient hack like me 30 mins will have to do Take a butter knife and slowly pry your face mold out. If you manage to bust the plaster it is fine. If you want to save the mold for other copies take your time and be patient. Or again you can do it like me and go to town with a hammer.

What you will see next will floor you because we never truly see ourselves in the 3rd dimention. So if you were patient and did it right, you might be shocked at how you feel looking at a copy of your own face...

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF ONE I DID FOR MY FRIEND. YES, HIM HAVING NO HAIR MADE IT A LOT EASIER.

More later

14. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Safety note:

Alginate with a plaster bandage sleeve works better and will not have the chance of burning your face while curing, something plaster can do since plaster heats as it cures.

Also you need to be sitting up, your face will shift in the laying down position.

15. Hocky

Hocky New Member

I think you have done a great job and should be proud of what you have achieved.
    It's a great focal point, outside the house.

16. budgeysmuggler

budgeysmuggler Active Member

Yes!!! listen to division 6. You can do serious damage to yourself or someone else. Products like plaster which use a catalyst to harden can get extremely hot. You should thoroughly research anything you intend to put on your skin first.

here's what happens when it goes wrong: Foundation school body fined after student loses six fingers and both thumbs in art class

Catgrabber, great work on your HIC mate :thumbsup

17. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

18. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

There is no question that this was legit but i am certain as with most cases like this it had many more factors. There are countless instructions online and in print suggesting the use of plaster of paris. I can tell you for certain that if she used the regular plaster of paris she would have been able to have soneone break her hands free with very little effort. Im fairly certain she had an allergic reaction to whatever substance she put her hands in. I have used plaster of paris about 20 times and not once did it even get warm. The bondo does but that doesnt touch your skin. The plaster of paris i am referring to is sold at Walmart and Meier. Perhaps there are several kinds. Regardless, there are always risks when using these materials. I do appreciate your advise though.

19. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Very true my friend! Thank you

20. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Im setting up an online instruction guide to help people who wish to do the same. Ill send it to ya when i finish it. Im finding so many new and easier ways as well. Thanks for the compliment!

21. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool. I've read a few HIC project threads and thought it would be cool to have myself done in carbonite, but not sure I could sit there for the 20+ minutes breathing through a straw. What other options are there for casting a face?

22. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Another way i read about is to use the news paper strip method. It essentially involves taking strips of news paper about 1 inch by 3 inche, dipping them in pplaster and plasing them one at a time on your mug. I dont know the exact proceedure but it seems a lot less difficult then scuba diving in plaster like i did. I will admit it was a bit surreal when you are in ther. Everyone who i did it for didnt have a problem but i can see a person with clostraphobia not really enjoying the process. Also, the plaster we use never gets warm as it hardens.

Still, a very fun experience.

On a side note, i put 100% cilicone into a face mold i mmade of a friend and made perfect looking masks of him. He was un aware so when he saw someone wearing it the look was pricesless. Just another perk to making these face molds.

23. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

There is a brand new CARBON FREEZE ME exhibition at disney. Looks like lucas stole my idea again and ran with it. * it George! We talked about this!!! Lolol :lol

Still, they make it look great. The only big diffrence is theres is 8 inches. Wonder how much a life size one created by disney and lucas would cost if the 8 inch is $100? Thousands im certain.

24. jedimarkj

jedimarkj Well-Known Member

Very *very* cool!

That is so very awesome!!

25. jedimika

jedimika Member

Great job for only your second prop project. I wish I could do as well!

26. AZNmastermind

AZNmastermind New Member

wow i had this idea a while back to use as decoration for halloween, but I this looks way cooler than I thought it would!

27. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Thank you all for the compliments. I am finally finishing it with side panels and such. Maybe another week?

28. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Finally got the panels on. They are different from the movie HIC but still look ok. Ill get a pic.

29. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Finally finished

30. Dogsbody

Dogsbody New Member

Cool..Jar Jar and George Lucas now have something in common with you... :)

31. Brett

Brett New Member

Nice! I'd accept one of these.

32. IxMAGICx1

IxMAGICx1 Well-Known Member

I've never seen Star Wars but that prop looks awesome!

33. Sambo Fett

Sambo Fett New Member

Thats awesome! I thought about doing that too

34. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Hi guys. I finally finished the Custom Carbonite prop and wanted to see how much I could get the price down to. If I decided to make em for friends. I forgot how tedious this was. Im not at all gifted or artistic so it takes me some time and a lot of trial an error. I completed the entire front of a new (what was supposed to be) Han in Carbonite when I completely forgot about the fact there was a frame around it. Ill post a pic to show what I mean exactly. Big screw up.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  35. Jet Beetle

Jet Beetle Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

Now you have something you can look back on when you're old and say - That was me - I had skills before this * arthritis!!!

36. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are you serious? Please pinch me. Do yourself a favor and watch EP4 ~ 6 ASAP!

Catgrabber, sorry where are the completed pics?

37. 13doctorwho

13doctorwho Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is cool. I have built a Han in Carbonite, but I've always want to make a version of myself in carbonite. I'm glad to know others have considered, and even done, it. Very cool work.

38. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Coming right up my friend. Not much different but since I am in a Scr%^* it mood, I will allow you guys to laugh at my misfortune. LOL In all seriousness, I am far from an artist so I started my official "best as I can" Han in Carbonite replica.

Now, aside from the obvious differences (size, color, missing head, cracking clay seams in pants, missing fingers) can you see where I REALLY messed up? Can you see where I made a mistake so bad, it is basically pointless to finish a HIC that would be remotely movie accurate. Lets see who can see the blunder I saw WAAAY too late. LOL

*See new post regarding my screw up plz

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  39. Catgrabber

Catgrabber New Member

Updated pics with custom panels

40. IxMAGICx1

IxMAGICx1 Well-Known Member

:lol dead serious! I just can't get myself to watch them. I've never seen any Harry Potter, LOTR, or Pirates of the Carribean either.