My Scarlet Spider suit, and first attempt at costume making!

Deakin Droon

Hey Everyone!

I just recently joined the forums and have been itching to show off my own costume, it still needs some tweaking but like the title says it is my first attempt diving into the replica world haha. So anyway I am a huge fan of the original scarlet spider suit, and this year me and my buddy decided we would make our own suits, he did the symbiote ultimate spider-man suit, and I did this one.
Now I plan on getting some better pictures, because this one doesn't really show the whole suit off too awesome, I was wearing it to the comic store to pick up the new scarlet spider comic and the owner snapped some pics with his phone haha, But meanwhile I'm open to come ideas and criticism.
Somethings I already know I ould like to tweak are,
1. I obviously need to lose some weight haha
2. I would like to make the ankle bags a little sturdier, you can't tell but the are made of felt, and sort of small
3 It needs a second spider on the back of the hoodie
4. There are some small litle tweaks I want to add to it to make it look a little more professional.
Anyway I'd love to hear some feedback guys so have at it, just try not to completely demolish me haha.

Thanks for speaking up! I appreciate any comments, once I have time to take some better pictures I was planning on doing a little explaining of what all I did.

hahaha to be clear on the slippers, I was going straight from the comic shop to work. Which actually sounds worse now that I think about it.... lets just say those slippers are moreso shoes in my world, and luckly customers don't realize I'm wearing them with dress pants and shirt hahaha. the costume does have soles so I can walk around wthout shoes for a more complete look though. Though I don't really trust the wear the outside world would put on them. So its usually an indoor thing, but also thank you all very much for your kind complements

its a variant cover lounge spider....super rare.
This is halarious, I might actually sketch this out just for the fun of it.
Looks great! How did you do the eyes and chest spider?
In about a week when I can get together with my girlfriend, who happens to be a professional photographer score for me, to do a photoshoot I'm going to get some better detail shots of the suit and write up a little "play by play" of what I did for everything, the short answer though is that both are sewn and were cut from stencils I made from comic book references.
True that! There is some huge talent here!
I really appreciate this and am glad to hear such positive statements, its always a little scary when you first dive into something new haha.

Ok so I said I would have some pictures soon and put up a little blurb about how I did everything and I am here to deliver.

Ok, so first thing for the suit I got a red morphsuit, it was a nice quick way to have my base and not have to do a ton of sewing, though I discovered after I had bought it that the hand portion of the suit were mittens and not actual "gloves" with fingers, so that was upsetting because it took me forever to find a pair of red spandex gloves that weren't sparkly.

The eyes of the suit I made from a template I drew up basing off of first picture in this post. I no longer have the templates to have taken pictures of them because they were just made from paper and I threw them out.

With the templates I put the suit on and had my girlfriend draw the eyes on the suit using the template so we knew where to position them, we then cut out that pattern from the suit and sewed white material identical to the morphsuit to the inside, so that the eyes looked flush with the rest of the suit.

The only other alteration of the morphsuit was because I wanted some sort of way to make it so that I could walk around in the suit without wearing shoes, but still have some sort of protection from the ground and rouge rocks. I found my answer in the form of womens slippers. Yes I was teased at the fact it was womens slippers, until everyone saw how awesome they worked haha. I found red slippers for very cheap, cut all the slipper parts from them, made insoles to put inside the suit, and then sewed those to the soles from the slippers on the outside of the suit. The end product made it nice and comfortable for me to wear the suit without any other sort of shoes on. If Ben doesn't have to why should I!

And with that the red portion of the suit was finished.

Now on to the hoodie and other accessories.

The hoodie was not really difficult, the hardest part was actually finding a blue hoodie somewhere nearby me. It took me about 2 weeks of searching to find one, because I was too stubborn to order it online. Once I found that though I again made a stencil based on the picture in my prior post, and then cut that out of black fabric and then just sewed it onto the front of the hoodie to match Bens. The First picture on this post is a close up of the stiching.

The next part I'll talk about will be the ankle bags. They are made from felt and velcro. Pretty simplistic, I didn't do the sewing on them my girlfriend made them for me as a gift since I was busy with other things at the time haha. We have agreed one day we'd like to make them out of leather, but I've also come to terms witht he fact that this is the prototype form of my suit, and it will one day be much more professional looking, when I have more experience haha. The second third and fourth uploaded pictures are of the bags.

Next part is the belt, again I found a pretty simple route, but have seen the way some other people on here have made their web canisters, and I approve and might upgrade mine in the future as well. For mine what I did was I got a leather belt that somewhat matched what I felt would be a good scarlet spider belt, I got a decently sized long wooden dowel, like you could find at any craft store, I cut ti to 2.5 inch pieces and sanded the sides witha belt sander and dremel to make them rounded and more capsule like, then painted them silver and used a staple gun to keep them attached to the belt. I put some small pieces of duct tape on the inside of the belt to cover up the staples, so they didn't snag on the suit. The 5th 6th and 7th pictures are of the belt.

And finally we are down tot he last accessory, the wrist bands. Again with these I've seen amny different styles of them on different drawings of the spider, I went with a combination fo the ones in the picture I posted in my prior post, and the ones from spiderman shattered dimensions. These I did pretty much the same way as the belt, but I instead attached them to a piece of red fabric, which I then sewed velcro. I did it on red fabric so that the silver dowels would be the focal point on them, not what was attaching them to my arms. These I would also like to refine in the future, mostly because they don't look very professional. The 8th and 9th pictures show these.

And now this last post is to show of the suit all finished with some nice not taken on a phone pictures.
The photos were taken by Rita Marin Imagery, and you can check out more of her photos on her facebook page.
Also, I wrote this little thread up this way because during my process of working on the suit, I was not yet a member of this site, and so I took absolutely no "WIP" photos haha. I will in the future so what I'm saying will all make more sense, but with that aside thank you for taking the time to see my work and I appreciate any feedback!

That costume looks great! how long did it take you to put together? I'm starting my own Scarlet Spider movie replica suit. i don't have much time to work on it so I'm having to take some short cuts but the hoodie is taking me some time and i can't decide how torn up looking i want it. i am also deciding whether to use the regular scarlet spider logo on the chest, the movie spider, or my own design. but i want to use a stencil and fabric paint so it still has the natural "home-made" feel. what did you do for such a large spider stencil?

awesome heres mine. you inspired me to show mine
189545_1754150585315_1585447609_1663850_5326064_n.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back