My Sabacc Kit - Pics and Request for Advice

CalaveraJoe

Hi all! After months of trolling around the forums here and poking around the 'net, I've got my Sabacc kit nearly complete. The idea was to have a self-contained kit that I could grab and go to play Sabacc for up to a full contingent of 8 players with ease. It's a few hundred hours of 3d printing to make all of this. The models for the coins and the dealer token are sourced from a variety of folks on Thingiverse and then tweaked slightly for scale and consistency. (I'm happy to dig up links if people want them). The boxes with 5,000 and 350 credits are my design, just to hold change up "chips" and some spares for play. The case itself I found cheap at an antique store (it was for picnics) and gutted it. The box for the cards and dice is all my own design, a little over 2-dozen iterations, and LOTS of trial and error to get it to work right. It has storage for cards and dice. Three buttons to track rounds that slide up and down. And it lights up, when the third round is ticked down, it shuts off.
IMG_1788.jpegIMG_1789.jpegIMG_1790.jpegIMG_1791.jpegIMG_1792.jpegIMG_1793.jpegIMG_1794.jpegIMG_1795.jpegIMG_1796.jpegIMG_1797.jpegIMG_1798.jpegIMG_1799.jpegIMG_1800.jpegIMG_1801.jpegIMG_1802.jpegIMG_1803.jpeg

So here's the advice part:

The case is great, but a bit plain. I plan on doing some weathering to it, but I'm thinking it needs decals / stamps / markings etc. of some sort, but I'm at a loss for what. I was thinking maybe travel markings or destination stickers or what have you, but again, I got nothing.

Everything is perfectly functional, but the credits in particular are a little too clean and new looking for my taste. Now, I know how to weather up a PLA coin just fine, but that process for 500+ of them is a little much. I'm wondering if anyone has any shortcuts on how to age / weather a whole PILE of PLA plastic coins at once.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe try a dark wash, but by putting them all in a bucket/box, with a watery wash, and then shaking them to get the excess off, then letting them dry?

Maybe try a dark wash, but by putting them all in a bucket/box, with a watery wash, and then shaking them to get the excess off, then letting them dry?

If nothing else, this will probably be the simplest way to do it. End of the day, I'm aiming for "dirty / dingy / used" for the overall look, as right now they look too freshly made. I managed a great finish on the dealer token and I'd like these to approximate that level of "used" in their look.

How about directly after doing the wash bucket while they're still wet throw them in another bucket with dirt or some kind of powder and gravel?

How about directly after doing the wash bucket while they're still wet throw them in another bucket with dirt or some kind of powder and gravel?

I worry about that turning into a caked up nightmare to clean up. I also have to be mindful of buildup and still having things fit. A little paint doesn't seem like much, but put a later on both sides of 25-50 coins and it adds up. :D

Thankfully I have a dozen + extra coins to guinea pig with different things.

a later on both sides of 25-50 coins and it adds up. :D
Ah good call, hadn't thought about that affecting fitment in the case, also idk what cards you're using but Galaxy's Edge at Disney has some really nice weathered cards and dice, they're exclusive to the park but they are on amazon, although I'm sure it's someone selling at a premium.

You've inspired me to build my own set, I've got so many projects in the works though I'll probably wait until I can get to the park and pick up a set to start building. Already thinking a combloc Bakelite geiger counter box might make a cool case, tbh I've just wanted an excuse to buy one lol

Ah good call, hadn't thought about that affecting fitment in the case, also idk what cards you're using but Galaxy's Edge at Disney has some really nice weathered cards and dice, they're exclusive to the park but they are on amazon, although I'm sure it's someone selling at a premium.

You've inspired me to build my own set, I've got so many projects in the works though I'll probably wait until I can get to the park and pick up a set to start building. Already thinking a combloc Bakelite geiger counter box might make a cool case, tbh I've just wanted an excuse to buy one lol

Cards are from Lucky Sylop on Etsy and I'm quite happy with them. I suspect they will wear / weather in over time, and I'm okay with that being an organic process (I also like that the cards are plastic so I don't have to fret over water damage. The leather case they came with is great and keeps them snug in the box. I will probably beat the tar out of that case to age it up at some point, too. The dice I 3d printed myself. I have a set of the Galaxy's Edge cards and dice, too (I live close to the park and have an annual pass). They're great, too, but I didn't love the Toydarian logo on the card backs for use with my gambling setup.

I also collect playing cards in general, so I fully see myself ending up with multiple sets of Sabacc cards as more folks do runs of them and more official ones end up out there, just to have different versions.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back