MY ROTS VADER HELMET

Originally posted by SithLord7768@Feb 2 2006, 12:37 AM
fell short on the acuracy i guess there...get your facts straight
[snapback]1174097[/snapback]​
Sorry for the double post...

I forgot where I read that all the Force FX sabers were produced down to the last detail, despite the fact that numerous saber designs wouldn't be able to hold up to the rigors of a toy. Oh, that's right, I didn't read that. Because sometimes they have to change a design so that it doesn't snap in half when you use your toy

To even begin to imply that the Force FX series was meant to be 100% accurate in any form whatsoever is ludicrous. If you honestly cannot tell the difference between a $350 saber that sits in an acrylic case or a $100 saber that people buy to play with, then it's quite clear where your confusion came from

i never once stated that my helmet was better than the MR..if it comes to you in perfect shape like one would expect. I chose this helmet because

1) i wanted a reveal...as to me it is more accurate in that respect

2) I know portumac reputation and i knew i would get what i saw

3) the detailed neckbrace

4) bang for the buck

never said it was better than MR, but they are having there issues right now...and i didnt want to take the chance...had i never seen the thread in this forum about the problems..i would probably be sending my helmet back to them as we speak...

as far as your comment on the sabers....hey dont advertise something as a replica if it isnt...wouldnt that be considered false advertising regardless how i feel about the "toy"? and i do know the difference...

The fact is that you took an open swipe at MR, when there shouldn't have been any comparison whatsoever, other than features or price. By insulting them, and implying that yours was superior, you opened the floodgates for this yourself

dude it wasnt an insult..it was stated fact on the other thread...and as far as the reports were goin on the other thread...my helmet was better...not better than a perfect MR...shoot if they were all coming in perfect on that thread i would never have cancelled my order. but as far as that thread they were all sucking out, so when i originally posted this thread to show my new helmet i poked a bit o fun at the QC mishap of MR...god why an i even explaining myself to you...this is rediculous.

FOR THE RECORD EVERYONE.....

If i misled anyone on this thread to think that i was implying that my fan made helmet with its small imperfections was superior to a perfect MR ROTS helmet then that was NOT MY INTENTION. I was simply stating it was a better deal for the money with the extras and without the current problems. If you want 100% accurate then i suggest you purchase the MR ROTS helmet as I had intended on doing as well...just be forewarned that you will not get what you pay for right now until they fix the QC problems that were spoken about in the other thread.

ie:

post-7490-1138228770.jpg

cheek_2.jpg

dome.jpg

dsc022477fd.jpg

ARE WE ALL CLEAR NOW?

No one is arguing that MR have had some QC problems.

I'm saying that in my opinion, your helmet isn't up to the standard which I personally would require from a replica of a ROTS helmet. Firstly, the dome is too thin, is not the correct shape, and it is not smooth on the inside. Secondly, the face is noticably assymetrical- the eyes are different shapes and the mouth droops to one side. Third, it has been produced by an unlicensed person in competition with a Lucasfilm license holder that incidentally is an affiliate of this forum.

"Arrr, I be a bootlegger, fair and true. A pox on the licensees, through and though..."

That mentality is never justifiable- even when MR are having temporary quality control issues.

ARE WE ALL CLEAR NOW?

Crystal, I hope.

J

I just want to ask one thing here...

When exactly did the RPF suddenly become a MR ass kissing group? I may not have the high post count like others but trust me... I've been here a long time and I can tell you that this forum used to be all about CREATING props and not supporting big licensees. Now it seems to be more about people opening up their wallets and spending small fortunes on stuff and then showing it off.

Insulting Portumac as a BOOTLEGGER is a bit pointless as if it weren't for people like him then this whole forum would never exist in the first place.

I don't think we should discourage harsh criticism of any License Holder whether it's MR or any other if criticism needs to be made. We do need to do it with dignity and respect however. That is what the COC directs us to do. You don't have to use foul language or resort to name calling to make your point about your disdain for the quality control problems. As long as you voice your opinion with a bit of professionalism......I don't see the criticism as a problem. I'm not insinuating that anyone has been unprofessional by the way. At least I didn't read any uncalled for comments. I don't particularly care for the idea of bashing a vendor (licensed or other) for the purposes of increasing sales for another vendor. But by the same token, if Portumac's bucket fills a need where MR falls short........who are we to discourage it??? Please don't seriously think that Portumac's helmet will appeal to everyone. It doesn't. Some people only buy MR products because of the name...........most buy it because their product is what the buyer is looking for in most respects. Some folks won't buy anything that carries the MR logo. Who cares. Buy what you want and smile alot when you get it. That is what the RPF is about..............and if you can't buy it.........make it.

If you want a 100% sold out MR supporting forum.......head on over to Rebelscum. If you want honest criticism.........there are lots of folks here who can be objective about the product and they make good points.

Do yourself one favor..........don't immediately agree with the viewpoint of someone who doesn't actually have the MR Vader helmet in their own two hands. If you want to get an honest opinion.........listen to the guys wearing the thing in pics........they will give you some valuable information. Anyone else's opinion is being form either thru pics or from other people's reports. I'm not saying that some of those points aren't valid as well.........but you should probably listen to the first hand reports moreso than 2nd or 3rd hand information.

I have an MR helmet.......I love mine. :) I am quite impressed with the fan made ROTS buckets as well. No they aren't screen accurate, but they are quite nice and they do fill a need for those who just don't want the headaches of sending stuff back.

Personally, the fan helmets fall a bit short of my expectations, but I'm looking for the screen accuracy. Others may not.

Live and let live.

Dave :)

I just got this mail from MR

Dear Master Replicas Customer,

This letter is to provide an update to all of our customers who have ordered a Darth Vader helmet. As you may know, Master Replicas is facing some quality issues with all editions of the Darth Vader Episode III Helmets. All shipments of the helmets have been placed on hold until these issues are resolved. This includes the Limited, Signature and Dual Signature Editions. First, we would like to apologize for this inconvenience. We know how long many of you have been anticipating the release of this iconic prop replica. Rest assured that Master Replicas is committed to doing our best to satisfy all of our customers needs and will do whatever is necessary to rectify this problem. Some customers may have received helmets with a small scuff mark on the top of the dome. We have thoroughly analyzed this problem and have determined that this can occur during shipping. Therefore, in order to accommodate everyone most efficiently, we are contacting everyone who has purchased a Darth Vader helmet to alert them of this potential issue. We will be performing a 100% quality inspection of the existing stock in our warehouse. Only helmets that meet our high quality standards will be accepted and repacked properly to avoid potential damage during shipping. These will then be used as replacements for any defective helmets returned for replacement. We estimate that this inspection will take three weeks to complete, and expect to resume shipping shortly thereafter. Additionally we have discovered that the embroidery on one of the storage bags can also scuff the helmet. This component will also be replaced for all customers. Since the damage occurred after our inspection in the factory, there is no way to determine how many helmets were actually damaged in shipping. However, we anticipate that the inventory of quality products will accommodate all replacement requests. We will have final confirmation of the replacement inventory once our inspection is completed. For those customers who have not yet received their helmets, please understand that all replacement requests must be processed first. We apologize for delaying your shipment further, but we are making every effort to ensure you receive the highest quality collectible possible. We will let you know in the next few weeks when helmet shipments will resume. This replacement program is completely voluntary. However, if you are not satisfied with your helmet for any reason, Master Replicas will be delighted to provide you with a replacement or a full refund. If you did not purchase your helmet from Master Replicas or an Authorized Retailer, we will still REPLACE your damaged helmet. We apologize that we are not able to refund your money. If you would like a replacement for your helmet: 1. Please email darthvader@masterreplicas.com no later than Friday, February 24, 2006 to request a Replacement Authorization number. We will also provide you with complete instructions and a pre-paid return shipping label to return your helmet. Please note that we will require all of the original packaging with all of the original packing materials. If you would like to return your helmet for a refund: 1. If you purchased your helmet directly from Master Replicas please email darthvader@masterreplicas.com no later than Friday, February 24, 2006 to request a Refund Authorization number. We will provide you with complete instructions and a pre-paid return shipping label to return your helmet. Please note that we will require all of the original packaging with all of the original packing materials. Upon receipt of your helmet, we will credit your account for the total amount charged, including shipping. This will take approximately 7-10 business days after receipt of the defective helmet. 2. If you purchased your Darth Vader Helmet from one of our Authorized Retailers, please contact them to arrange for a refund. Once again we apologize for this inconvenience, Master Replicas will do everything in our power to remedy the situation to your satisfaction in a timely manner.

Thank You.
The Team at Master Replicas

No word about the Clone helmets though.

Cheers,
Leo

SithLord7768...you do have a nice lid and you should be very proud of it. I'm glad that Manuel's helmets now have a thicker coat of paint as that was a major issue with is earlier lids. As far as it it being a screen accurate ROTS lid...sorry, it's not. It's a slightly cleaned up ROTJ lid as evidenced by the mouth droop, which has been tightened up, but not eliminated. Also you can still see evidence of the neck flare...which is less pronounced with the elongated neckline..but it's still there.

You're right, it seems like a better value if you are after a fully detailed reveal. However, the MR is cast straight from the source at LFL...you really can't get a better pedigree than that. Also if you match a screen cap of the screen ROTS and the MR lids...they match up exactly...while the Portumac lid has different details.

Also, to get the smooth finish on the interior of the dome, a seperate silicone jacket was used to smooth out the interior of the dome flaps (check the Making Of Vader featurette in the box set, it can be clearly seen there)....so this adds cost in terms of labour and materials...and another detail that the Portumac lid doesn't have. The neckseal...although you can't see it on screen..I suspect that that was the neckseal that was worn by Hayden in every other shot except the operating table scene.

At the end of the day tho, you have a great helmet with a lot of detail...so be happy with it. It's just when you take a cheap shot at MR, in good humour or not, which is making a truly screen accurate ROTS Vader lid....that's when people get testy....and yes,MR has had their QC issues...but I'm sure that even those issues will be corrected soon. Even with my rants lately with the MR QC issues....I'm very much looking forward to getting my lid.:)

The way I look at things having to do with helmets, props, or anyhting in life for that matter is: if you are happy and satisfied... who cares?

I mean, if you are happy with the portumac lid, great. I personally think it looks awesome, although not screen accurate. For me, Im all about supporting the small guy who makes his own stuff versus the big corporation like MR. I myself would be inclined to buy a QUALITY fan made helmet because I know all the TLC that goes into creating them. That is not to say that I would not buy a MR helmet because I would if the right one came along but I prefer the fan helmets.

All I own is a CKing lid. Is it 100% screen accurate? No.

Do I love it? Yes, and I will never part with it because it's the first fiberglass helmet I have owned. I will purchase more in the future and perhaps I will buy an MR helmet at some point (but not the ROTS one).

Are there others who personally would not like my CKing lid? Yes.

Do I care? No.

The botton line is that you should be able to expresss your own likes and dislikes without bashing the likes and dislikes of another person. Screen accuracy is very important to some people and not so much to others. So be it....

you know what i think is humorous...i agree with everything that everyone has said here (mainly kahnt and kevvader) in regards to the comparisons and comments they have made but i really think most of the bashing in this thread has been made towards my potumac lid and the lack of ROTS screen acuracy it has. why not look at the details that are acurate...every little thing on the reveal aspect is dead on...the dome by the way looks exactly the same shape as the one on display in the mos..with the excpetion of the non smooth underside...(see some good reference pics at the bottom of the post)wouldve liked that detail but hey, what can you say about that, other than oh well...i did not know that until i opened it at home...i still think for the price is was a very nice bargin...so my mouth droops to the right...well so dosnt the "licensed replica supreme vader ROTS helmet by rubies...not to mention the non symetrical cheeks (which btw i have been repairing myself and i think it looks pretty sweet). I guess there really isnt much to say other than im sorry some of you (who appear to be employees for MR with the way you defend the situation) feel this helemt reaches up to your level of expertise or are upset at "bootleggers" as you so eloquently keep putting it. this is my first major vader helmet purchase and i was proud of it...now thanks to all the comments i may never use it....but it looks good on my mantle anyway :confused

so keep proping out and have fun tearing down other members of the forums excitment and pride for there items....

oh and btw...i never said MR wasnt the best as far as RTOS helmets go...again i repeat this. I just didnt want to bet on quality right now

portumac's ROTS dome(unfinished version)

6c_12.JPG

one on display at the mos

normal_DSCN0025.JPG

edit-spelled kahnt's name wrong..sorry dude.

Originally posted by SithLord7768@Feb 2 2006, 01:59 PM
I guess there really isnt much to say other than im sorry some of you (who appear to be employees for MR with the way you defend the situation) feel this helemt reaches up to your level of expertise or are upset at "bootleggers" as you so eloquently keep putting it.  this is my first major vader helmet purchase and i was proud of it...now thanks to all the comments i may never use it....but it looks good on my mantle anyway :confused

You should still use it, no matter what others think. It's yours.... you are happy with it..... use it and wear it with pride.

Originally posted by SithLord7768+Feb 2 2006, 05:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SithLord7768 @ Feb 2 2006, 05:59 PM)</div>
so keep proping out and have fun tearing down other members of the forums excitment and pride for there items....

[/b]

Funny....

That's exactly what you did to start this thread.

I remind you:

<!--QuoteBegin-SithLord7768
@Jan 31 2006, 11:03 PM

not having to wait 6 months only to receive a totally botched master replica helmet, complete with surface scratches and lousy paint jobs....

Priceless.

"But I was just being funny....."

No.
No, you weren't.

Russ

okay spidey...youre right...you know exactly what i was thinking when i wrote it...thats why i posted the exact same thread in the 501stneg site and the sith detachment as well...cause i was trying to piss people off here in the rpf...funny how it is only here that the problem lie?

tell me do you get up every morning making it your daily goal to act like an ass or does it come natural?

all this coming from a guy whos avatar is spiderman getting humped by a squirel...cute

Originally posted by SithLord7768@Feb 2 2006, 11:23 PM
okay spidey...youre right...you know exactly what i was thinking when i wrote it...thats why i posted the exact same thread in the 501stneg site and the sith detachment as well...cause i was trying to piss people off here in the rpf...funny how it is only here that the problem lie?

tell me do you get up every morning making it your daily goal to act like an ass or does it come natural?

all this coming from a guy whos avatar is spiderman getting humped by a squirel...cute
[snapback]1174561[/snapback]​
I think your taking this too serious. It sounded like at the time that you were serious, if you are unsure what people might think of the post put jk, or somthing. 2 cents
Nice helmet. :thumbsup

Originally posted by SithLord7768@Feb 2 2006, 11:23 PM
[snapback]1174561[/snapback]​

HEY. leave the squirel out of this..

i coulndt help it...the squirel was an innocent bystander...but really...spidey needs to get off his high horse and have a seat on an ice block for cryin-out-loud...im mean now some dude that has never net me has journied into my head and knows all my thoughts....kind of reminds me of that song by the kinks....there a little green man in my head...in this case he is red and black wearing spandex. I think he and his MR hitman neon should get a room together.. :) :D :lol :lol :lol,,,oh and one more i need to put in here...JK and maybe a wink too ;-)

edits were some mis-spelled typos

I have both of these helmets and I like each one differently.
If you want to see the mouth droop put the helmet on and look in the mirror.

chris

I think that part of the problem here in this thread (and what initally started all the tension) is that no matter how good a typist you are, it is often difficult to express yourself in the way you want through typed text on a forum. Often times our true meaning is not conveyed and people misinterpret or misunderstand..... and often just the differences in people cause different interpretation(s).

Please, stop the bickering people. SithLord7768 has already said that he didn't mean to offend anyone, let it rest.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back