MY ROTS VADER HELMET

Well, in case anyone missed my sarcasm in my above post, I'll draw a wee bit of attention to it ;)

As far as the portumac ROTS is concerned, it is NOT symmetrical. I was able to inspect one of these last year up close and personal, and albeit a VERY NICE HELMET, it still is what it is, and that is exactly as Darth Bill described it, a "Modified OT Helmet". This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the modifications to it are very few. He added the "Stripes" upside each cheek, and extended the neck. The dome was "unchanged, and the size of the helmet, is roughly the same as a Deluxe, perhaps larger.

Not trying to detract from a great show off thread, but there needs to be a little truth in advertising here. If you play up one of PortumacÂ’s helmets like this without ACTUALLY holding an MR, you will be giving false hope to a perspective buyer, and they might be sorely disappointed if they purchase one.

If anyone is wondering what makes "Me" the know-it-all on this, first let me point out, that I am NOT trying to come across as a know-it-all on the subject, but I will at least explain why I do have a vested interest/knowledge of this helmet, vs. the MR

The explanation is simple ... I was the first to bring an ROTS Helmet to the board, as well as e-bay, before anyone else, including Portumac. He's a very nice guy, but he did mod/make his ROTS AFTER I posted pics of my own. He even used some of my pics as reference when there was little available. Self-admittedly so. And I was ok with that.

I was told I was an idiot for doing one of these bad boys, before reference was available. I did it anyway, full well knowing that it would never be accurate. I wanted it "close" for the ROTS premiere. My own ROTS derivative was painstakingly chopped into many pieces, and reconstructed in "True" symmetry. I've sold only two of these helmets, my personal copies, but the members that purchased them can attest to it's symmetry. Therefore, I do know EXACTLY what was done to the Portumac, vs. "My Own", vs "MR". I was knee deep in this project and reference for 6 months, so I can say that I know a little, because I took it on, when no one else would.

What was the final outcome of my project? A perfectly symmetrical, slightly reduced sized Darth Vader Helmet. Is it ROTS accurate? Absolutely not. But as anyone that followed my progress over the course of the latter half of 2004 can attest, the end result was something that was surprisingly accurate to an ROTS Helmet in light of the severe lack of reference available to me at the time. Coincidentally, I had just finished my project when all of the Studio Shots came available in late 2004 :lol Did it piss me off? Absolutely, but I knew the risk when I started it. Which is why I am now an owner of an MR ROTS helmet ... I'm not too full of myself not to buy one because I made my own first ;)

Again, not absolutely ROTS accurate, but it was the first rendition that hit the prop boards. You be the judge ...

SAMPLE

mask.jpg

More can be found on my site ... www.fparmor.com

Again, not trying to derail a perfectly good show off thread, just trying to help get it on the right track. And no, I DO NOT sell these helmets .. so please DO NOT PM for info ...

FP

I for one will never forget it, either FP. You and WPK did an outstanding job on the whole costume & I applaud your efforts on it. It STILL blows me away..

*Oh, and as for the Portumac helmet being RotS . . . no way. The mouth and cheek droop are dead give-aways. BUT . . . if you're happy with it, then who cares?.?. :)

Well, I'M snippy about this because...

Originally posted by SithLord7768@Jan 31 2006, 11:03 PM

not having to wait 6 months only to receive a totally botched master replica helmet, complete with surface scratches and lousy paint jobs....

Priceless.

...I'm getting a little bit fed up with the whole "Arrr, I be a bootlegger, fair and true. A pox on the licensees, through and though..." mentality.

"Totally botched"...?

Um, not quite.

Errors made, sure, but something that MR is addressing and will correct.

"Lousy paint jobs"...?? "Orange peeling"...??? On the Vaders?.

Where'd that come from??
Or is that just an attempt to feel good about a purchase by tearing down the other piece?

Must've been glossing over the part of the threads where people say "Despite the problems with this helmet, it's still an awesome item"....

And it is.

The MR Vader has quickly become one of my favourite helmets.

So don't expect me to play "Stroke The Bootlegger's Ego" when I see him trying to tear down the official piece.

Russ

True, the portumac helmet is not ROTS accurate.......

But as others have already said, if he likes it who cares?

I think both the portumac and the MR are nice lids but if I was going for a ROTS look I would go with the MR for sure.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Feb 1 2006, 07:02 PM
True, the portumac helmet is not ROTS accurate.......

But as others have already said, if he likes it who cares?

I think both the portumac and the MR are nice lids but if I was going for a ROTS look I would go with the MR for sure.
[snapback]1173825[/snapback]​
I would agree with you if the original post was just a show-off without the silly swipe at another vader helmet... so because of that, comparisons are inevitable.

Originally posted by JediCarl@Feb 1 2006, 09:53 PM
Some of you guys are far too sensitive.

Yeesh.
[snapback]1173964[/snapback]​
If you are referring to me... that's not being sensitive, that is just pointing out that he invited comparisons with his comments. :rolleyes

There is a bit to much nit picking over the helmet. Heres the way i see it, get mad or be an over active M.R fan boy if you want. As far as accuracy go's Master Replicas has it
on the other hand portumac gives you a revel look and a neck brace.
So one has somthing the other dosen't have, I don't see why it's so hard to go hey thats a cool helmet instead of busting the guys balls over why the M.R helmet is better, it's childish in my eyes.

Originally posted by GundamZeppelin@Feb 1 2006, 10:25 PM
There is a bit to much nit picking over the helmet. Heres the way i see it, get mad or be an over active M.R fan boy if you want. As far as accuracy go's Master Replicas has it
on the other hand portumac gives you a revel look and a neck brace.
So one has somthing the other dosen't have, I don't see why it's so hard to go hey thats a cool helmet instead of busting the guys balls over why the M.R helmet is better, it's childish in my eyes.
[snapback]1173992[/snapback]​
Again, I would completely agree with your comments as well, but it was the original post that brought up MR, not just people making the comparison on their own. Quite honestly the "MR fan boy" comment is as childish if not more so than any other comment made in this thread. At least that's the way I see it. ;)

okay folks...ive come to the conclusion that you are all way too bent up and frustrated. I will tell you this...I have pictures of the actual helmet that i used for comparison from the MOS displays in boston. that being said...

when i look at this...
normal_DSCN0029.JPG

normal_DSCN0030.JPG

i really dont see much difference in this..keep in mind that the slant of the MOS display is due to the fact that it is only the top portion of the reveal and that causes it to rock back

normal_DSCN0227.JPG

and as far as the gentleman challenging me on the neck brace issue...i also have pictures of the actual one used in the movie also on display in boston...

normal_DSCN0026.JPG

the only thing to keep in mind is pieces are missing...you can see the holes where the other pieces were attached, and you can see the vertical clips that are on one side but missing on the other...the only thing that does not seem 100% acurate is the missing middle piece. also i took my picture upside down...

normal_DSCN0217%7E0.JPG

now im sorry...MR does not have a neck brace anywhere even close to that..a flat black piece of fiberglass does not a neck brace make.

also i never intended to cause such an uproar with some of you guys, apparently your feelings get hurt a bit too quick. I was actually cracking a bit of a joke with the mastercard comment, sorry if you couldnt handle it. didnt ask for those of you who took offence to go on the rampage and start badmouthing my purchase. As far as I can tell this helemt is a very close reproduction of the ROTS. He has other helmets for sale including the ROTJ and they are different and do not look the same as this. So if his fan made stuff does not meet your criteria of perfection then its a matter of opinion i guess. I like the helmet and i think seeing as the neck brace usually sells for over 250 bucks on ebay, minus the fact i did not pay for shipping, that puts the cost of this helmet alone around 500 bucks. I think i did the right thing by purchasing it, im sorry that some of you dont agree

one last thing...here is a picture of both masks offered by him..first is ROTJ, second is ROTS..i can clearly see the difference....

b8_12.JPG

97_12.JPG

Originally posted by SithLord7768@Feb 2 2006, 03:50 PM
"...you are all way too bent up..."

97_12.JPG

[snapback]1174007[/snapback]​

The only thing that's "bent up" is that so-called symmetrical helmet. Come on, surely you can see that's it's in NO WAY symmetrical. Damn, if someone says they've chopped up a rotj to make it symmetrical, at least fix the mouth droop.

Look, I'm happy that you like your helmet. But seriously, I wouldn't have paid $850 for a bootleg customed from a ROTJ helmet with a neck brace that doesn't appear with the hero helmet on screen.

And the bootlegging is made even less palatable by the fact that you've essentially paid the same as what the licensed version costs.

:confused :unsure

J

SithLord7768: Just to be clear, and I only speak for myself, I have no problem with you or the helmet you purchased. I was simply responding to the people that couldn't understand why others were doing a comparison and discussing the MR helmet when, in their view, everyone should just be discussing the helmet that you had purchased.

I only used the term "silly" in referring to the humor that you used based on the fact that I personally considered it poor SA ("situational awareness" for the non-military folks :)) in light of all that was going on with the MR helmet.

As to your helmet, I really like the "reveal" neck brace and think that it looks great. :thumbsup

well first off there is not any point in this thread anymore. it was meant to show my new purchase not as a"lets bash the guy who bought a portumac helmet that stated it was RTOS but it really is a bootleg ripoff"

personally, the last time i checked the word symetrical meant that both sides were identical. to me both eyes are symetrical, both cheek sections are symetrical and everything else is as well...i really dont know what you are talking about with this mouth droop thing. i can not see that in the helmet i purchased. and in that picture i can see why you may think that due to the way it sits on the neck. that causes the mask to fall shortly to the right giving the appearance of a droop, but whatever...

what are you talking about as far as the neck brace not showing up in the hero version? the picture i showed you was the reveal mask that hayden wore on the table.

anyway there is no sence in talking anymore about it, seeing as you are all knowing and i am an idiot. :rolleyes kudos for you and your master replica. just liek the two sabers i have from them that they admitted to being larger than the screen used ones due to batteries and electronics. they are all about acuracy i guess :thumbsdown

edit - i forgot to mention...the MR helmet did come with a stand which was wonderful...the one in the picture is one i made...and i like the natural wood look

i guess i'll just take my inferior prop and go home if noone wants to play mith me
*sarcasim BTW...i was starting to feel like i was in kindergarten again*

Actually, I accept your point about the neck brace- yours is a "table" helmet so it should have a detailed neck brace. I apologise for that.

But I have to insist about the asymmetry. Even on your front-on shot, you can see the mouth drops down on the right, the same as the original trilogy helmets did. I'm disappointed that this wasn't fixed on your helmet.

J

Not to jump in here, but the fact is that either A. Your sense if humor is apparently not very humorous, or B. You made a mistake, and instead of admitting to it, you're chalking it up as a joke, and that everyone here is uptight and childish as a result

It's not simply a result of unaligned angles with picture comparisons. There are serious proportional differences, which lean it closer towards an OT than a PT, and these flaws are clearly obvious

Nobody's trying to say you made a bad purchase (well, one guy, but still) but what we're saying is that you made annunfair and inaccurate comparison, especially with your remark as to a Force FX saber not being screen-accurate... you just said that a toy (albeit an expensive one) is not accurate, therefore the entire company is at fault for your not being able to see a droopy Vader grill

Go ahead and enjoy your helmet, I would as well, but I wouldn't straight up lie about it's accuracy, then get pissy when people call you on your bs

for your information i too had a MR on order and waited 6 months for it. I then started to see all the problems with the helmet in the other thread. so the comment was made as a joke and i dont have to cover up any bs...think what you want.

i personally think the helmet looks great and im glad i spent less for it and in my opinion got more for my money...that is not bs but the truth..as is the fact that numerous people...some of who are trashing me in this thread were making all sorts of hate MR replies in the other thread not even a week ago. I think this is something how you and those like you make comments that you would never dare make in font of someone. I have nothing to hide and in my opinion if you want to gamble with getting a MR right now with all the QC problems and have to take a chance at sending it back because they f'd them all up...go crazy. I may even reconsider getting one if they ever get their heads out of there asses but until then, i would rather spend my cash on something that i know looks good and came from a respectible prop maker.

and BTW when did i ever throw bs out about anything....i believe the original comment set up like the MC commercials..indicated acurate prices for both helmets and the fact that i cancelled my order before i got a screwed up helmet and all the issues relating to it. and as far as i can see the fan made helmet may droop very slightly to the right but no where as bad as the ROTJ helmet...lets not forget that the fans that make these dont have access to the computerized molding machines they used to make the molds for ROTS. I think the slight, if even noticable to the everyday fan, droop you speak of is the only non symetrical part of this helmet then i'll take it over the scratches, paint drips, gouges, and having to send it back for repairs.

oh and spiderman...im glad your helmet rocked...you are but the few at this moment who got lucky and im glad for you...and your helmet does kick ass, no doubt

bottom line is this...MR is supposed to be the best :rolleyes but i have not seen this yet....also the lightsabers are not a toy...at least thats what they tell you on the information that comes with them...says it is a replica and is not a toy..hmmmm??? fell short on the acuracy i guess there...get your facts straight

I've never made a comment bashing MR, ever. Go ahead and enjoy your helm (as I said I would too in your position) and go ahead and enjoy the smaller cost as well, but don't try and convince people that you're holding something of higher quality, or even comparable accuracy to the MR version

That's all I was saying. If you were to actually read what I was typing, you'd have read everything I just typed, with a different choice of words

ENJOY. YOUR. HELM.

ENJOY. THE. VALUE.

DO. NOT. BLATANTLY. LIE. TO. MAKE. YOURSELF. FEEL. BETTER.

Simple as that, bucko

personally i think it does look great, with the reveal details/neckbrace and all, definitely a great fan made helmet, but i think the guys are just saying the helmet + mask is not symmetrical as it should be for a ROTS helmet, but still a great helmet nevertheless. if MR would to do a full reveal it would probably costs around $1500 so for half that price you should be satisfy with the purchase even though theres a few symmetrical problems. but hey its like half the price. not to mention portumac's basic ROTS helmet is around $500 or so, its still $450 cheaper than the MR, and its around 90% as good.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back