My RotJ Darth Vader Reveal Helmet Project and "Parts Hunt"

JSConnolly

Hello All...

As I first happened upon Kronen77's Build Project, and my purchase of the Hasbro "Black Series" Darth Vader Reveal Mask... ALOT has happened!

I've made some GREAT Contacts on here and NOW I've decided to not only tackle this Project MYSELF... I am ALSO going to share as MUCH/MANY "Original Parts Sources" as possible in my QUEST for PERFECTION and AUTHENTICITY!

So... Without further "Ado"...

I have recently purchased a "Photo-Multiplier Tube" which was/IS the source for those "Vents" in Darth Vader's Main Front Mask part of the entire Helmet!

Those "VENTS" are the "DYNODES" that are encased within the Multiplier Tube!

I have posted pics of what the dynodes look like AND the same source/tube that I purchased from E-Bay for about, $40 some dollars,

I also found a that on "Shapeways" there are several people that make some of the parts for the helmet. Mostly those strange metal "H" things on the front of the Mask part, which turned out to be old "Glenross Dental Expanders" which used to be made in Europe at one time. Those "Expanders" can be found on Shapeways in Metal or various forms of materials from Simple "Plastics" to Actual METAL ones that Expand JUST like the REAL Ones did!

I MUST Give thanks to Kronen77 AND Bengrim09 for help in my "Quest".

I look forward to ANYONE adding to this thread for Parts "Identification/Clarification" and/or Sourcing for said parts!

And LASTLY... FEEL FREE EVERYONE to add ANYTHING That is Helpful within our Hobby! THIS Includes PAINTS, GLUES, CASTERS and 3D PRINTERS, PARTS SOURCEING ETC.
To ME Our Hobby{s} are ALL a Linked Community! Model Making, Costuming/Cos-Play, Prop Making etc. So I want this thread to include
ANY and ALL helpful links, sources and ideas!

Thanks All.

Joe

Link for Photo-Multiplier Tube with CORRECT Dynodes inside.

Attachments

• NEW SRC Labs 50B01-8 PMT, Photomultiplier Tube 2.jpg
    NEW SRC Labs 50B01-8 PMT, Photomultiplier Tube 2.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 227
  • NEW SRC Labs 50B01-8 PMT, Photomultiplier Tube 3.jpg
    NEW SRC Labs 50B01-8 PMT, Photomultiplier Tube 3.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Here are some links for those metal "SPIKES" for the back "Collar" area.

This one has Various Different Sizes and Colors to choose from.

These are 10mm Spikes.

OK...

And NOW for some VERY INTERESTING Sources for the "COLLAR" part of the Mask.

These are ALL from the same company... But I am posting ALL the Possible Links starting with the MAIN Link Page.

THIS next one is VERY Promising!

Here are some more....

THIS one seems VERY Close?!

THIS one too seems VERY Close?

If SOMEONE Could MAKE a pattern OR Take the Collar to a Copy Place and MAKE an Actual "COPY" Of the Collar...
I could PROBABLY Make Repos out of THICK Heavy Leather or Plastic or Possible even METAL?!
OR Get it 3D PRINTED as I Know a few people that actually DO 3D Printing!
I am a PATTERN Maker and could do the collar in OTHER Mediums!

Hello All...

As I first happened upon Kronen77's Build Project, and my purchase of the Hasbro "Black Series" Darth Vader Reveal Mask... ALOT has happened!

I've made some GREAT Contacts on here and NOW I've decided to not only tackle this Project MYSELF... I am ALSO going to share as MUCH/MANY "Original Parts Sources" as possible in my QUEST for PERFECTION and AUTHENTICITY!

So... Without further "Ado"...

I have recently purchased a "Photo-Multiplier Tube" which was/IS the source for those "Vents" in Darth Vader's Main Front Mask part of the entire Helmet!

Those "VENTS" are the "DYNODES" that are encased within the Multiplier Tube!

I have posted pics of what the dynodes look like AND the same source/tube that I purchased from E-Bay for about, $40 some dollars,

I also found a that on "Shapeways" there are several people that make some of the parts for the helmet. Mostly those strange metal "H" things on the front of the Mask part, which turned out to be old "Glenross Dental Expanders" which used to be made in Europe at one time. Those "Expanders" can be found on Shapeways in Metal or various forms of materials from Simple "Plastics" to Actual METAL ones that Expand JUST like the REAL Ones did!

I MUST Give thanks to Kronen77 AND Bengrim09 for help in my "Quest".

I look forward to ANYONE adding to this thread for Parts "Identification/Clarification" and/or Sourcing for said parts!

Thanks All.

Joe

Link for Photo-Multiplier Tube with CORRECT Dynodes inside.

To Add to my Thread above...

I actually used to WORK In an "Orthotics and Prosthetics Lab" BUILDING stuff for people from molds!

AND I do Leather Work. That's How I got that job! If it hadn't been for the NEW "Supervisor" that we got... I would STILL Be there!

Anyway... If SOMEONE HAS One of the "TruLife Airflow Cervical Collars" and could just take it to a Copy Place and MAKE me a PAPER COPY...

I Really do think I could Reproduce it to almost EXACT Specs?! BUT with Black Leather Padding Instead of that White Stuff!

Someone PLEASE read this!

Thanks.

Joe

Have you cracked the photomultiplier apart to check the dynodes? The original cane from an EMI photomultiplier. The company is now called Electron Tubes.
I have a spare set of the correct copper dynodes in mint condition if you’re interested.

Are they also known by Thorn? I have a set of Thorn EMI ones that are silver, it was almost impossible to tell since the bottom or the glass was painted blue or something

Have you cracked the photomultiplier apart to check the dynodes? The original cane from an EMI photomultiplier. The company is now called Electron Tubes.
I have a spare set of the correct copper dynodes in mint condition if you’re interested.

Not yet... BUT You can easily see from down the top inside AND on the sides that they are INDEED the COPPER Ones!

But thanks for the Offer! I will keep ALL posted as SOON as I get it Cracked open! :)

Are they also known by Thorn? I have a set of Thorn EMI ones that are silver, it was almost impossible to tell since the bottom or the glass was painted blue or something
Yes, Thorn EMI is correct but only a few photomultiplier models had the correct copper dynodes in them. It’s not just the copper slats that you want. They also need the circular aperture and fine mesh at the back. Again it depends if you want accurate or close enough. A lot of the tubes appear to have copper dynodes but aren’t once cracked open.
I managed to buy a load of the correct ones before they were installed in tubes direct from the manufacturer so they are mint.

Yes, Thorn EMI is correct but only a few photomultiplier models had the correct copper dynodes in them. It’s not just the copper slats that you want. They also need the circular aperture and fine mesh at the back. Again it depends if you want accurate or close enough. A lot of the tubes appear to have copper dynodes but aren’t once cracked open.
I managed to buy a load of the correct ones before they were installed in tubes direct from the manufacturer so they are mint.

Hey Marc

I think I purchased correct dynodes from you...could you please post some pics of the backside of your correct ones? Would like to check mine and see if I need to "upgrade" ;)

Cheers

I was in contact with them last year for some mint ones, I was going to add them to some kits !!!
Boy !! Over £600 for 8 !!!!!!!!!!
I will leave them there

WOW! You should post the source for those Dynodes. I TRIED to find a source JUST for the Dynodes but kept hitting a brick wall!
Are they still made like that?

Hey All...

I remember reading a comment that someone made about how when they were doing their "Reveal Mask" how difficult it was to achieve "REALISTIC METAL FINISH/LOOK"!

Well for those of you that DON'T Know about "ALCLAD PAINTS"... HERE is a Link to them and what YOU can achieve with them!

I hope this helps?

Joe

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back