My R2-D2 - 4.5 years in the making

DrMaul

After well over 4 years of procrastination and sporadic work, I finished my lifesize R2-D2. Mostly aluminium, but also including a mix of wood, resin, styrene and other miscellanea. Build with support and motivation from the R2 Builders group. Electronics are to come later, as is weathering...but I won't get stuck in to that until he's been photographed to death in his 'straight off the production line' state. Here he is on display in my rumpus room:

R2_03s.jpg

R2_05s.jpg

R2_06s.jpg

Great to see him finally finished Matt :thumbsup I just hope my R2 doesn't take as long too complete.Should have my 3PO finished & plated by years end.

Originally posted by PnatheraGem@Mar 18 2006, 01:56 AM
Sweet. How in the world are you going to bring yourself to weather him.?
[snapback]1208034[/snapback]​
Don Bies gave a great tutorial to the R2Builders group at C3 on ILM-style weathering. It was very reassuring to be able to watch how a professional does it, building it up progressively and slowly. I'll use the same techniques.

Originally posted by Got Maul@Mar 18 2006, 02:03 AM
I LOVE  a well crafted display . Awesome set up ..
[snapback]1208040[/snapback]​
Thnx. I built that Death Star set for a local convention, but planned it so that it would fit in the corner of this room as a home for lifesize statues.

R2_11s.jpg

That is one of the cleanest built R2's i've seen. Everything is straight, in line, and fits perfectly. Excellent job. I really can't wait to start mine. I'm looking forwars to a nice long build up. Pics like these give me great motivation. Do you have any build-up pics of the Death Star walls or of R2?

I agree with everybody else: Your R2, along with the entire setup, looks terrific. Very good thinking to design that Death Star set with the corner of your room in mind. Really, what a great display. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Another fine example of someone here with too much talent, too much room and too much money :(

You've got skillz :thumbsup

I know I'm repeating myself here, Matt, but it is deserved. I love your R2. :D It really does look like it rolled off an intergalactic assembly line... Amazing work there. I can't wait to see him (and kick him of course :angel ).

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back