My R2-D2 - 4.5 years in the making

DANG...
thats sweet....what are they? are they from a movie??
(just joking) awsome R2 and manaquins and background.....I've always wanted to make a gonk? droid (I think thats its name) I wouldn't weather him...he looks great...the only thing left on my r2 is the feet details

Wonderful work and love the Death Star look too.

I'm hoping to do something similar when my Darth is finished.

-Now crack open the 'raw umber' acrylic and get that droid weathered. ;) :thumbsup

Jeremy

DrMaul,

Nice..

I started working on my R2 a couple of years back and its not even close to being completed. So, I know they're tough to finish.

Yours looks awesome. The whole display looks great.

Craig

:thumbsup

Originally posted by TFrosst@Mar 18 2006, 05:54 AM
... Do you have any build-up pics of the Death Star walls or of R2?
[snapback]1208151[/snapback]​
I have fairly comprehensive build-up photos of the Death Star set over in our local 501st forums:

http://outpost42.dr-maul.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=146

I'm not a carpenter, so my techniques are probably fairly inefficient...just slapped it together using the best techniques/materials I had available. It was all lit up when we used it at a convention.

DeathStarSet_26s.jpg

PS: the Death Star set is, of course, fully inspired by the excellent one seen/displayed in the R2Builders room at Celebration 3.

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Mar 18 2006, 06:55 AM
Very nice.  :)  :thumbsup  Does he have a third leg and is he motorized?

- Gabe
[snapback]1208166[/snapback]​
Nah. I've done a 3-legged, remote control one as a group project before, but I wanted this one to be a 2-legged display model. When I revisit him, I'll be adding electronics: motion/sound sensors to set off dome rotation, lights and sound.

Originally posted by TFrosst@Mar 18 2006, 05:54 AM
... Do you have any build-up pics of the Death Star walls or of R2?
[snapback]1208151[/snapback]​
I've taken a lot of work-in-progress pics of R2 along the way, but am still working to get them all online.

Here are a couple from his humble beginnings.

1) early frame development:

R2_06.jpg

2) trying to makesure the laser-cut skins are attached nice and square:

R2_11.jpg

3) some of the internal structure to make suer there are enough attachment points for various add-ons (this is the bottom, showing 'skirt' attachment points:

R2_18.jpg

Originally posted by gonk27@Mar 18 2006, 06:25 PM
...Now crack open the 'raw umber' acrylic and get that droid weathered.  ;)  :thumbsup

Jeremy
[snapback]1208348[/snapback]​
I'll definitely be doing that...even though he's "finished" to a displayable state, I'm not sure how many more years it'll be before I completely stop working on him. Just need to take a break from this project now ;) and tackle a couple of other things on my list of projects to finish.

Originally posted by DrMaul+Mar 18 2006, 09:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrMaul @ Mar 18 2006, 09:26 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-gonk27
@Mar 18 2006, 06:25 PM
...Now crack open the 'raw umber' acrylic and get that droid weathered.  ;)  :thumbsup

Jeremy
[snapback]1208348[/snapback]​
I'll definitely be doing that...even though he's "finished" to a displayable state, I'm not sure how many more years it'll be before I completely stop working on him. Just need to take a break from this project now ;) and tackle a couple of other things on my list of projects to finish.
[snapback]1208425[/snapback]​
[/b]

I know what you mean. I've just fininshed my fibreglass R2 scratchbuild (with R&J dome and original Viscount lights) that's taken me long enough but I still need to do a little tinkering here and there to get some animation into him, possibly even full r/c at some stage.

These take a lot of effort to complete and you've done an amazing job :)

Incidentally what are you using to stick metal to metal? rivets? JB Weld? ..

Jeremy

wow, one of the best r2 units i´ve ever seen...

and the death star background is awesome. REAL GREAT WORK. :thumbsup

Your R2 is gorgeous, but I've taken particular interest in your Death Star backdrop.. Thank you so much for the link to all your progress pics...this is EXACTLY the inspiration to what I want my entire display room to look like.

Congrats on such a nice display :thumbsup

Steve

Originally posted by gonk27@Mar 19 2006, 12:07 PM
Incidentally what are you using to stick metal to metal? rivets? JB Weld? ..

Jeremy
[snapback]1208740[/snapback]​
I used a lot of JB weld, but where I needed reliability (inner skin to frame), I used counter-sunk flat-head rivets, with which it is possible to get a completely flush profile so you can attach things over them or fill and sand them flush. The outer skin is additionally secured in such a way...the holes for the rivets also served as a means to get it well aligned, between a test run and gluing it in place.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back