My PVC sabers

motman241

(from a different thread, as to not hijack it)
My Obi Wan-inspired saber
saber.jpg

And a PVC Graflex
PVCGraflex.jpg

Originally posted by RedTwoX@Jan 26 2006, 03:44 PM
Wow.  That grenade is great Motman.  Would you mind sharing your technique?  Did you file into a thick walled tube, or build it up?  Any details you are willing to share would be appreciated.
[snapback]1168691[/snapback]​
Yes, I used my Dremel with a few router bits to drill into the PVC's wall. They all fit nicely onto the next size smaller PVC tube. I used some plaxiglass for the fins, and the control box. It's just odd because it's so light weight. :)

Sorry, I didn't make any of my famous tutorials for these sabers. Both use the common 1 1/4" (inner) pvc.

The Obi Wan is a faucet knob, a bunch of the PVC, some sort of coupler that I had to modify (to make it look more like an emitter), and some plexiglass for the fins of the grenade. Oh, and some plexi for the control box. All glued onto a 1" PVC. Then there's a 1/2" bit of PVC for the neck. That's all there is.

The Graflex is pretty much just the 1 1/4" PVC tube. I used some thin styrene (for sale sign) for the ears and detail bits, and two small pieces of plexiglass for the eyes. I never did get around to finishing the clamp/control box, or adding grips to it.

WOW.... I'm trying to make a Vader and a Luke ANH out of PVC. Please Please Please post a tutorial... How did you make the "ears" and the button/greeblies on the graflex? I'm very very very interested. Great job.

Thanks for the nice comments. So often my props get overlooked because I like to build them, and not buy them. Glad to see there's others out there like me. :)

Tutorials.... There's really not much more to tell than I have already. They just take a lot of time, and steady hands with the Dremel.

The Obi Wan parts are just the round PVC, and I used router bits (pointy) to cut 'V's into it, but not all the way through. For the grenade, I cut the 'V's going north to south, then ran it through going east to west (if that makes sense).

The Luke saber was easist of the two. Just use the plans like you would on a sink tube, but use the PVC instead. For the ears, I use thin styrene (a for sale sign). They eyes are plexiglass. I used a lot of reference pictures for real ones, and just tried to copy what I saw.

Sorry there's not much more to tell. I'll be sure to bring these to the Michigan prop party if someone wants to see them, or take other pictures. Most all of my other props are made from PVC, plexiglass, and wood, too, if you see them. ;) Don't hesitate to grab me, and chat about stuff.

Originally posted by ToothTech@Jan 29 2006, 03:56 AM
You know Tom, I bet your macros would really knock peoples' socks off.... ;)
[snapback]1170744[/snapback]​
OK. Started a new thread about those.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back