My PVC sabers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by motman241, Jan 26, 2006.

1. motman241

motman241 Well-Known Member

(from a different thread, as to not hijack it)
    My Obi Wan-inspired saber
    [​IMG]

And a PVC Graflex
    [​IMG]

Yes, I used my Dremel with a few router bits to drill into the PVC's wall. They all fit nicely onto the next size smaller PVC tube. I used some plaxiglass for the fins, and the control box. It's just odd because it's so light weight. :)

2. kell

kell Well-Known Member

Super Cool :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Do you have more pics? Tutorials?

Kell

3. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4. Sporak

Sporak Sr Member Gone but not forgotten.

I love that Graflex...
    What tube diameter did you use?

5. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Nice work :thumbsup

Tutorial time :)
    I wouldn't mind trying to make one of those Obi types myself.

6. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

:eek

Man, they're AWESOME.

Well done mate,

Kraig

7. motman241

Sorry, I didn't make any of my famous tutorials for these sabers. Both use the common 1 1/4" (inner) pvc.

The Obi Wan is a faucet knob, a bunch of the PVC, some sort of coupler that I had to modify (to make it look more like an emitter), and some plexiglass for the fins of the grenade. Oh, and some plexi for the control box. All glued onto a 1" PVC. Then there's a 1/2" bit of PVC for the neck. That's all there is.

The Graflex is pretty much just the 1 1/4" PVC tube. I used some thin styrene (for sale sign) for the ears and detail bits, and two small pieces of plexiglass for the eyes. I never did get around to finishing the clamp/control box, or adding grips to it.

8. DCB

DCB New Member

Wow, those are pretty cool. Very nice job on the OWK grenade.

9. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

10. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

Great job on those man. The grenade part looks sweet.

11. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I love this kind of work. Awesome.

Njc----------------

12. SonOfPumpkinhead

SonOfPumpkinhead Sr Member

WOW.... I'm trying to make a Vader and a Luke ANH out of PVC. Please Please Please post a tutorial... How did you make the "ears" and the button/greeblies on the graflex? I'm very very very interested. Great job.

13. motman241

Thanks for the nice comments. So often my props get overlooked because I like to build them, and not buy them. Glad to see there's others out there like me. :)

Tutorials.... There's really not much more to tell than I have already. They just take a lot of time, and steady hands with the Dremel.

The Obi Wan parts are just the round PVC, and I used router bits (pointy) to cut 'V's into it, but not all the way through. For the grenade, I cut the 'V's going north to south, then ran it through going east to west (if that makes sense).

The Luke saber was easist of the two. Just use the plans like you would on a sink tube, but use the PVC instead. For the ears, I use thin styrene (a for sale sign). They eyes are plexiglass. I used a lot of reference pictures for real ones, and just tried to copy what I saw.

Sorry there's not much more to tell. I'll be sure to bring these to the Michigan prop party if someone wants to see them, or take other pictures. Most all of my other props are made from PVC, plexiglass, and wood, too, if you see them. ;) Don't hesitate to grab me, and chat about stuff.

14. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. motman241

OK. Started a new thread about those.