My problem with Wolf...

hez1

Alright, I know Wolf has sort of polarised a bunch of people on whether he's the ****, or just the poop, so I'm curious as to what people think. For the most part I like his appearance, although like most people seem to think, his forehead slope looks weird. I'm not a big fan of his bio either, but kudos to them for doing something a little different in the first place. it just doesn't work all that well for me.

No, my real problems are with the way the story had him act. Slaughtering people apparently for fun, when on a clandestine clean up mission? Hmm. OK...fast forward a little and he's taking long range potshots at aliens in that power plant, and missing everytime. Not smart. At the same time, he's being stalked by an alien on the underside of the walkway that he's on. OK, it looked cool, but really? His vision mode shows aliens in bright blue at a distance of a 1/4 mile, and he doesn't see one at his feet?

That's actually all I can remember, seeing as how I haven't seen it since its release, but those few things really spoiled him for me. Anyone else have this problem or am I just weird?

The first time I saw Wolf as the chair spun around and he growled, I was like...uh...ok. Face looks cool, but the eyes are not human and the roar like a lion? Hmmm. Then I noticed more throughout the movie that Ian Whyte actually moves like Kevin Peter Hall did in P1 and P2. The more I watched Ian the more I appreciated the fact that he made a conscious effort to please the fans and actually mimic the same gestures and movements from the first 2 movies.

But I still wanted to see human eyes looking at me from behind the mask...not animatronic non-moving eyes. PLUS the fact that they were both the same color in the beginning and then one eye has a white glaze over it later on in the movie. Talk about not keeping continuity.

The LOOK of Wolf was awesome...they took things from P1 and P2 and incorporated them into Wolf. Is the forehead sloped? Yeah - its different. Look at the head on P1 compared to P2 - both very different. I hope the next Pred we see on the big screen is different yet again.

Bio - I didn't like it at first but that was due to the fact that the sides of the Bio didn't cover Wolf's jawline...I could see his jaw poking out and thought, "why did the directors make it so small?!?! Oh Wolf musta lost his and picked that one up off a dead Pred - yah thats what musta happened! No? WhY THE **** DOESNT IT FIT HIS FACE??!?!" After buying a Wolf Bio from Casey, I got a chance to see it from every possible angle and I must admit - the design is freaking brilliant! The lines flow nicely and it LOOKS like a Pred Bio helmet. I'm glad I have one on my wall...

Lets talk about the "roar". At first I thought they were making Wolf roar like they did in AVP (which I despise with every fiber of my being). Then I watched the beginning again where we see Wolf for the first time and I turned up the volume...that roar sounds pretty awesome. Add to that the clicking you can hear throughout the movie...I like it.

I'm NOT a fan of his "power fist". I could barely make out what it was and then I was like, "WTF is that?!" This isn't Power Rangers...Fuuuuck!

Anyway - thats my thoughts on Wolfy...I hated the lack of a decent plot and the fact that Wolf's eye's weren't an actor underneath, but I think hes a pretty darn cool addition to the Predators...

am I just weird?

Is that a serious question?........ :(

yes you are...

for me it was purely in the movement of the creature...unlike the tank preds from AVP_1..it was refreshing to see the movements KPH created as the creature in P1 and P2...as KPH and winston(RIP) both mentioned it's acting through the suit that makes the creature special

example: the hand jestures as he was removing the bio from the fallen preds in the ship, reminded me of the actor in predator 2 in the bathroom/med kit.

watch the film again..bluray :lol: and you'll see what i'm talking about..aside from the pred, AVP2 is not a great film by any means.

yeh,the powerglove move from the sewer to the street above was pretty cheesy,but the cloaking effect he uses directly after is cool.
i also like the noise he makes when he pays respects to the fallen elder in the craft at the beginning of the film,while he puts his hand respectfully
on the elders bio.[kinda like a sad growl like my dog would make] :(

ya just gotta luv the way those mines drill themselves into the sewer walls yeh ?!

Well obviously I'm a little bit weird...along with everyone else here.:(

I did appreciate his efforts to move like KPH, they did help. I just have difficulty with the amateurish hunting from the ultimate hunter.

i love wolf, he's actually one of my fav preds! except for the powerfist thing.. stupid!
I really didnt get why he killed random people though My first though was just because they had seen him, he had to get rid of them, but then why hang them up? maybe he's not the uber hunter we all thought, and is just a bit full of himself.
I agree with the movement thing too. Ive been fortunate enough to hang out with Ian Whyte a few times, and after a few drinks one night, he was teaching us how he does all the predator moves. Was really interesting to watch, and certainly made me move alot better in mt suit

I think two things are getting mixed up here a bit - first, the design, and second, the actions taken by the character.

I think the design was pretty cool. Different head, yes, but as was pointed out above, the P2 was entirely different from the P1 too. The animatronic eyes - didn't know they were animatronic. Kinda looked strange though from the start. They definitely suck. Regarding his arsenal, I think the whip was pretty unique and very cool for a sci-fi character. So overall I think they did a pretty damn decent job on him.

I mean, look at AVP. When Scar took off his mask, I was like wdf??? How cheap and ugly is that??? Not even start on the proportions....

The character's actions though come from the script, and we all know it was dumb ... well, crap, that's what it was. I mean, how can you actually omit a scene shown in the trailer from the movie???? In AVP, the alien that takes down the Chopper had a tail about three meters long, yet the Wolf can hold two of those bastards at arm's length without getting harmed... it looked badass, but wasn't very consistent.

He had his moments, though. I liked the scene when the police officer came upon him in the woods and the Wolf instantly cloaked and you see his eyes flashing... (although I've always wondered WHAT exactly is flashing there... same for Predator)

I didn't think he killed random people, I thought it was becuase they were armed. Plus he's the 'cleaner', no traces remember.

I didn't think he killed random people, I thought it was becuase they were armed. Plus he's the 'cleaner', no traces remember.

I think it was just bad script writing. Yes he was the cleaner, so no traces. Then why did he skin the cop and hang him from a tree? Thats one big slimy trace right there.
The missing the aliens in the power plant bugged me too, for a blooded hunter (even elder type bad ass maybe?) he was a **** shot! And with holding the aliens at arms length? Surely they could just kick him? Thats before we even consider the tails...

But saying all that I did like the look of him, as mentioned before, the movement was better. His physique was more athletic than beefed up. I could see wolf jumping through trees like P1. The AVP preds would be snapping branches and dropping on their asses! His face was a bit odd (the eyes did suck) but I can believe that he was just a different looking predator and existed in the same world as P1/2 whereas Scar's face was just too wierd looking...

I think most of my thoughts have already been conveyed above.

Ian brought the suit to life, and moved akin to P1 and P2.

Liked the way he moved
Liked the flashy eyes , even if it was just a nod to P1
Liked the bio
Liked the whip
Liked the mines

Didnt like the poweranger glove
The head i neither like or dislike, odd being as i sculpted it hehe.

The script is what made wolf seem alittle .... well eer dumb at times, In the sewer he outsmarted the bugs and had little trouble kicking their ass, but then as said they let one sneak up on him when hes in the bug vision mode. DUUUUUUUUUUUH

the other stupid stuff i cannot be botherd discussing, but Ian did a gret job portraying Wolf.

actually, it's not a trace, the way I see it. It was a human, not an off-world creature or piece of technology.

But hey - you got me thinking just there!! Can anybody come up with a good reason why the Wolf was cleaning up Aliens at all?? The ship, no argument there. Full of Pred technology, data and what not. But the Aliens... the Preds even built a huge Alien zoo on Earth in AVP, so why the cleanup? I really like the idea, I think it was a pretty cool twist, however, it doesn't seem logical to me...

i agree with USURPER on this one, his look and weapons and the way he moved was cool, just the script made him look like a newbie to the hunting game, he made silly mistakes that he shouldnt but maybe that was because he was carless from his anger of trying to avenge his fallen comrades... i guess we all have our own opinions....

but the cop that he killed in the woods when his radoi went off was not armed and if he was did not raise his weapon..he only ran away yet he got sliced

but the cop that he killed in the woods when his radoi went off was not armed and if he was did not raise his weapon..he only ran away yet he got sliced

He is armed when he's running away, true he didn't raise it though.

I put this scene's faults to terrible scripting and trying to fit in something reminiscent of the previous pred films. Actually this could be said about most of the film.

actually, it's not a trace, the way I see it. It was a human, not an off-world creature or piece of technology.

But hey - you got me thinking just there!! Can anybody come up with a good reason why the Wolf was cleaning up Aliens at all?? The ship, no argument there. Full of Pred technology, data and what not. But the Aliens... the Preds even built a huge Alien zoo on Earth in AVP, so why the cleanup? I really like the idea, I think it was a pretty cool twist, however, it doesn't seem logical to me...

But he is trying to hide the evidence, and upside down skinless human is sure gonna draw some attention!

I reckon it is all down to script writing. He looked cool (shh nobody mention the power ranger fist), he moved cool, but he was slap bang in the middle of a ***** story! Imagine P1 or P2 with the wolf as the main pred and we'd never seen whoever he replaces. Personally I think he fits the pred "look" if you get my meaning. His actions in terms of what he did and why he did it were down to the script/directors. How he did it was down to Whyte, and that was good. He may have been doing some dumb things but he looked good doing it. He looked like a predator, who just happened to be a crap shot or not notice aliens crawling up his ass!

Alright, I know Wolf has sort of polarised a bunch of people on whether he's the ****, or just the poop, so I'm curious as to what people think. For the most part I like his appearance, although like most people seem to think, his forehead slope looks weird. I'm not a big fan of his bio either, but kudos to them for doing something a little different in the first place. it just doesn't work all that well for me.

No, my real problems are with the way the story had him act. Slaughtering people apparently for fun, when on a clandestine clean up mission? Hmm. OK...fast forward a little and he's taking long range potshots at aliens in that power plant, and missing everytime. Not smart. At the same time, he's being stalked by an alien on the underside of the walkway that he's on. OK, it looked cool, but really? His vision mode shows aliens in bright blue at a distance of a 1/4 mile, and he doesn't see one at his feet?

That's actually all I can remember, seeing as how I haven't seen it since its release, but those few things really spoiled him for me. Anyone else have this problem or am I just weird?

Who did he slaughter for fun? The killed the cop so silence him (kill all whitnesses), killed the two guys in the shop that were about to shoot him, and accidentally killed the chick. The Wolf was bad ass... the alien under the catwalk was just stupid directing... the movie was a flop for a reason lol! But the Wolf... 100% bad fukin ass!

So why did he hang the cop up after killing him if he was cleaning up? The two hunters were disolved as were the aliens and old guys in the sewer. There are a few inconsistancies in the behavior but I guess thats due to the storyline moving along. The Wolf character is menacing, the movements and attitudes created by the actor were great....the story, not so much but I still liked it.

About Wolf killing the cop and skinned him, he was sent to earth to take care of the Aliens and all of their traces, but traces of the Predator was not high priority. He was only supposed to kill of the Aliens and remove all of their traces, not "predator-traces".
That is what they say in the special edition anyway.
They also explain why the movie did not become like they wanted it to. I watched the comments from the Stause brothers and such from the Special Edition part, so you might look into that.
Other than that, I think Wolf was a great character, he just ended up with a bad script.

Kotten

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back