My Predator Mask Wip "lots Of Pictures"

thefonzy

Hey Guys Carlos here, aka thefonzy. I really fell in love with preds and once I got a taste of what sculpting can look like I decided to give it a try. It is my first time ever sculpting anything (other than a failed air-dry clay armature I was building for my mask.. lol) my studio is also called my bedroom.. lol so not a lot of room... I've been working on it on and off now for the last 3 days and am happy in the direction it's heading. Didn't really start out with a theme, just wanted to try it out first. Then once I reshaped the whole thing I Had a "young elder bad blood theme" hope you guys like the direction it's heading. Please feel free to critique, positive or negative critiques can only help so I definitely welcome them.

*edit: I did get a hold of Narin, he's an amazing guy! He allowed me to go ahead with this theme, and I'm so thankful to him!!!

Alright enough of the mumbling, I'm just going to jump right to it. For anyone wanting to know, I will post what I have bought, used, and explain a little of how I used it where possible. Keep in mind, I'm on a tight budget, but like to get as much of the "good stuff" I can afford!

list of what I have bought:

Armature
small chicken wire mesh
scrap particle board from construction site ( I asked first)
a lazy suzan (ball bearing spinners)
duct-tape
small screws
thin wiring (came with the mesh)

Here's a couple of pics of the human head armature I made, following by the addition of the "pred head" armature on top of it. (made it removable in case I ever want to do a small sculpt) used a pep wolf helm for sizing.

SAM_0061.JPG

SAM_0076.JPG

SAM_0100.JPG

SAM_0110.JPG

head sculpt
I bought a set of 36 hobby tools on ebay
an old croc-pot
home made scraping tools ( made them using youtube video tutorials)
plastic caliper from dollar store
measuring tape
level (yes, a small level, to see if things were lining up :D )
exacto knife
Popsicle sticks
* most important and cheapest tool, my fingers
Bought 50lbs of monster makers premium clay (super hard to work with at first, but awesome once you get used to it)

here's the tools:
SAM_0112.JPG

OK Warning ahead of time, I have already changed my Pred quite a bit from these first few pics, but would like to post some pictures of the pre-accident sculpt as I was doing it, then the post accident "improved" head which led to where I am now.

here it goes
the beginning

I started from the top, thought it would make things easier to work with from there.

SAM_0118.JPG

SAM_0119.JPG

SAM_0132.JPG

SAM_0137.JPG

SAM_0145.JPG

SAM_0151.JPG

SAM_0156.JPG

SAM_0161.JPG

SAM_0171.JPG

SAM_0172.JPG

SAM_0175.JPG

SAM_0196.JPG

SAM_0200.JPG

SAM_0206.JPG

SAM_0212.JPG

SAM_0213.JPG

I then used a flat piece I made to carve out the middle piece of the mouth, to make it easier to play with until I was happy with it... I know what you're thinking, but don't say it... lol

SAM_0214.JPG

SAM_0216.JPG

SAM_0217.JPG

SAM_0218.JPG

SAM_0224.JPG

SAM_0230.JPG

SAM_0232.JPG

SAM_0246.JPG

after that last picture I had my Accident.. the sculpt was knocked down by my curious dog and the only part that I was able to salvage was the face which I was very happy about. The good thing about this accident is that it made me play a little with the positioning of it on the armature, and making me change the whole slope angle on the forehead, making it more pred like (I find).

so yesterday and today I've been slaving away trying this new look, and I think I've hit it right on the button. Here's what I did since yesterday:

View attachment 26674View attachment 26675View attachment 26676View attachment 26677View attachment 26678View attachment 26679View attachment 26680View attachment 26681View attachment 26682View attachment 26684View attachment 26685View attachment 26686View attachment 26687View attachment 26688View attachment 26689View attachment 26690View attachment 26691View attachment 26692View attachment 26694View attachment 26695View attachment 26696View attachment 26697
SAM_0247.JPG

SAM_0249.JPG

SAM_0254.JPG

SAM_0259.JPG

SAM_0264.JPG

SAM_0266.JPG

SAM_0269.JPG

SAM_0270.JPG

SAM_0271.JPG

SAM_0274.JPG

SAM_0283.JPG

SAM_0285.JPG

SAM_0287.JPG

SAM_0292.JPG

SAM_0298.JPG

SAM_0317.JPG

SAM_0331.JPG

SAM_0332.JPG

SAM_0333.JPG

SAM_0346.JPG

SAM_0347.JPG

SAM_0355.JPG

This is where I stand as of right now...

SAM_0361.JPG

SAM_0362.JPG

SAM_0364.JPG

SAM_0365.JPG

SAM_0367.JPG

SAM_0366.JPG

SAM_0360.JPG

Sorry for all the edits, this is after all my first go on posting pics and keeping a thread, as well as excited to make it better to go through!
Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Carlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow if that's your first one I only see things getting better, it looks great hope there are updates for when you finish and you keep it up.

Thanks!! I hope people are going all the way down to see the thread.. not just exiting after the first few pics... hahaha

@ tehfailsafe: Go right ahead brother, let me know if you need any help with it. It spins like there's no weight on top of it! One thing I would suggest though is making some kind of lock on it to keep it from spinning until it's unlocked and ready to spin. Otherwise it will keep spinning on you. Other than that, I really like it.. It's portable, and very easy to put on any table( I'm using a small portable dinner table )

Nice work so far. Do you have a drawing that you're going off of, or just creating it as you go? Either way, keep on pushing the clay and have fun ;)

No drawings, just going off of my head, and as the head transforms itself. As a reference for shapes and different looks though I am using pictures of Narin Bad Blood series 4. Mostly for the shapes, the rest is doing itself as I go.

Any suggestions so far, or Am I in the right path?

GREAT start Carlos man..........taking shape real nice.
I know you said "dont say it"......but I cant resist........that mouth you sculpted looks just like........an "ear"....lol

My only suggestion at this point would be......keep it up man as you are doing great for your fist attempt.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the positive feedback so far! I think I'm already addicted to sculpting lol.

@Lee: An ear? rotflmao... I would have never thought of that lol

Any suggestions guys??
What about skin detail patterns? which should I do?

holy... ****.. THATS FREAKING AWESOME! And like my grandma says, everything happens for a reason. After the accident the mask started looking even better, at least the face was salvagable, Im sure it would have sucked if it wasnt.

Amazing work on this so far, and this is what, like your second time sculpting? Dayum lmao, Im definately feeling more confident now, hope mine turns out well. I also had to lol at the mouth sculpt.

Hehe, speaking of which, skip to 1:38 on this song >w>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkYyEnYOURE

Anyways, cant wait to see more on this, keep up the great work!

@Lee: An ear? rotflmao... I would have never thought of that lol

Any suggestions guys??
What about skin detail patterns? which should I do?

LOL....thats what happens when you have a one track mind

as for skin paterns, i'd work on the shapes a little more first...get all your lumps you want first...then once you;ree happy with it...move onto your texturing.
When you are ready for texuring....take a look through the reference pics at all the other pred heads....and have a go at recreating the details ...if you dont get it right, i'm sure someone will help you out.....if you cant find anything that you like....make something up......when doing yur own mask, I think that the most important thing is to do it how YOU want it to look in the end.
Keep it up man

Thanks guys!! Means a lot reading that you guys think it looks cool! I definitely recommend everyone trying out sculpting. It's relaxing, and very fun with the right music.

@kyra: Good find! lol I laughed pretty hard on that one! I definitely think you need to give it a go, all your work is amazing, so It will translate on to your sculpting!

@ Lee I'm just thinking ahead a little, that way I can kinda practice also, I definitely have lots to do before texturing!

What do you guys think about the overall look and shape so far? should I keep going or need to change something up?

Next on my list is the mandibles (seems like the hardest part to me), then I will do the neck area, followed by all the lumps and crevices. Not sure when I'll have it for you guys (working 2 jobs and finishing exams) But hopefully soon I'll be updating with what I will be doing.

Again, a big thank you to all who comment, it means a lot to me that you guys are taking the time to leave your 2 cents!

Cheers, and hope to hear from everyone!

you have a really interesting way of sculpting. very methodical. i just throw a bunch of lumps at my armatures and the start working detail all over the place. never seen anyone tackle it like you have.... that being said. HOLY ****! very nice job for a first time. you obviously have art talent and probably are talented in other mediums. keep up the good work.

your sculpt- i think all of your forms are pretty good. the only thing i see, - the brow seems a bit over exaggerated. but that could just be your take on it. it doesn't look bad. but it makes it look a bit too cartoony if you over emphasize the features like caricatures.

cheers man.

Haha, anytime X3 I always like to give people a good laugh, and I couldnt pass up that chance. Hey, I didnt say it, the song did! :D

Cant wait to see how this turns out, looks amazing so far.

Very cool sculpt man! And I definitely think it was a happy accident. Helped push the sculpt in a slightly different direction, which I think improved the entire design.

Keep it up, can't wait to see more!

you have a really interesting way of sculpting. very methodical. i just throw a bunch of lumps at my armatures and the start working detail all over the place. never seen anyone tackle it like you have.... that being said. HOLY ****! very nice job for a first time. you obviously have art talent and probably are talented in other mediums. keep up the good work.

your sculpt- i think all of your forms are pretty good. the only thing i see, - the brow seems a bit over exaggerated. but that could just be your take on it. it doesn't look bad. but it makes it look a bit too cartoony if you over emphasize the features like caricatures.

cheers man.

Well I did it this way due to the fact I only have pictures to reference it out of (2d to 3d), and I figured it would be easier to figure out the shapes if I did one section at a time. I then put rough "blocks" with the approximate shapes to work on and try to get it looking like what I had in mind. Thankfully it worked for me! As for the brows, that's just a "general" shape and look I'm aiming for. Once I add some lumps and do the texture I'm thinking it will blend in a little more.
( I do however want to exaggerate the brows just a tad, giving him a "angry eyes" feel.)

As for art talent.. lol I can't even draw right. but I can do some really wicked custom leather engravings, which I usually give as gifts to family and friends. I probably will incorporate the leather work onto my pred somehow.

Thanks for the reply man!

Haha, anytime X3 I always like to give people a good laugh, and I couldnt pass up that chance. Hey, I didnt say it, the song did! :D

Cant wait to see how this turns out, looks amazing so far.

Thanks Kyra, hope to see yours some time soon also!! I'm glad you are liking it so far!
ps: thanks again for scarring my brain with that song. lol

Cheers

Very cool sculpt man! And I definitely think it was a happy accident. Helped push the sculpt in a slightly different direction, which I think improved the entire design.

Keep it up, can't wait to see more!

Thanks TokyoRose!

I do think it was a good accident too. Now, the major thing that it did make a change on, was the slope of the "forehead" area. Which I'm definitely more pleased with. It's kind of hard considering I have nothing other than pictures to try and figure all the shapes out. I was so nervous about changing anything, but once I played with it I saw how different it could look, and went for it!

I'm glad you think it's cool, and I'll keep everyone posted as I get the chance to work on it.

cheers!

I am wicked late to convo. But just wanted to chime in and say its way cool to have a new sculptor join the ranks!!

Thanks Gene!!! I'm not "there" yet, but hopefully one day I'll be right there along side you guys "the pros"

I do however have you guys to thank. Without the cool stuff you guys do to inspire people, this really would be a very different place!

Cheers Gene!

I hope you hunters are liking the way it's looking, and if you see something that I should do, give me a nudge and I'll see what I can do. I hope to not dissapoint anyone!

Cheers everyone, thanks for looking and for posting!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back