My PL refit paint just went FUBAR

Lynn TXP 0369

Sr Member
After spending about 6-7 hrs masking my PL refit main body and engins with the Aztech dummy patterns, painting, another 2-3 hrs peeling everything back off, another 1 hr touching up the dozens of little nicks from peeling off the decals.

I went on to the next phase of trying to get the pearl look cleared on to it all was going well and then it went FUBAR on me and I lost my aztech pattern. I tried to fix it and it went worse.

I'm so pissed now, $55 down the damn drain with those stupid patterns.

I'm not going to even bother wasting my time azteching the saucer section now with those damn things.

I'll just sand it down, and redo it a nice white, add the colored areas, decals, and call it good.

Screw it.

I'm soo pissed now, all that time wasted. :angry

Lynn

OUCH. Sorry to hear that. I hate painting. I put it off and put it off, and know how it is when hours are ruined by a simple error or worse, act of God (or even dog).

The masks are no good anymore at all? Could they be stuck on a sheet of paper and scanned, then cut out for a frisket template? Also the kit came with a full sized sample of the aztec pattern for the saucer top you can use for a Frisket template. They may not be 100% accurate, but neither were those templates.

I just bought some different pearl paint products. I bought the Pearl EX powder to add to Future as well as a tube of Goldens Iradescent acrylic to test out.

Maybe if you wait and cool off, you can try again. Sometimes time can make you regain your motivation.

Did you use acrylics? What exactly happened?

:) Patience, my brother. As a model builder myself I can say that there will be pitfalls....and sometimes in my business they COST. The only thing to do is to try again. 12rouges is right, take some time, cool down and come back to it later. After all, it's the Big E.

Seriously, frisket those suckers. Use a stencil plastic for repetative painting. You need those frisket patterns, let me know.

Originally posted by jakob2121@Jul 9 2005, 07:07 PM
Does anybody here have that pdf?  I'd appreciate not having to signup for the sm forums.
[snapback]1030051[/snapback]​

PM me youe E-mail and I'll forward them to you.

The PDF will be hosted on Starship Modelers main site. I'll let you guys know when it is. I don't think I should host the file since it isn't mine to do so.

The stencil files are up for free download at SSM now. No registration required, though it is worth joining up for the information available in the discussion forums.

Cheers

Tony

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back