My PKD has finally arrived!

userd1402

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This was sold to me as a post-WorldCon Sidkit and I have no reason to think any different looking at the kit as it has arrived. In order to get it into the UK from Italy the sender broke it down into two separate packages and it got though customs no problem.
I'm no expert in pewter casting but I must say I'm really impressed by the crispness of these parts. Everything super sharp and precise (this thing weighs a tonne!). Looks like it should go together really well. All I'm waiting for now is the custom steel (Tomenosuke replacement) barrel I snagged off a guy on Etsy and I can start planning the buildup.

Last edited:
Looking really sharp. Just be careful with the white metal/pig metal/pewter, it doesn't take stressing very well and it cannot be welded or soldered. The metal will melt at those temperatures, I know from painful and costly experience. If something isn't fitting quite right I would suggest careful sanding and a lot of finesse. Please show us your progress.

Agreed with 19narvik40's comment, go slow and don't overwork or overstress the metal. The Sidkit is possibly the cleanest cast you will find in the older models and although there is some controversy surrounding Sid's excellent blaster (some of it legitimate) his Worldcon was mostly retooled to make it less controversial - and its a beauty.

I suggest you try and acquire a replacement (metal) barrel so that all the blaster pieces are metal.

Congratulations, you've made a sweet acquisition there and you won't be disappointed.

Regards

Steel barrel is on it's way from the states KramStaar, and now through you I have found MarkRaats.com and the link to the original Sidkit instruction pages online so with the build threads on here and those resources I should be able to make a reasonable stab at it. Cheers.

And here it is. Worth the four week wait. Original plastic barrel is 100mm and this replacement Tomenosuke barrel is 103mm so I can make that work. Outside diameter seems perfect. Inner diameter looks more like I expected the thickness of a steel gun barrel to look so I'm happy there.

Now going online to find some gun-blue solution.

Last edited:
Joberg is right about the quality, the barrel is from Propsmith and I understand these were created by him and Rich Coyle so It's the best quality, although I've actually used a different one with different mounting holes. I'll be keeping the first barrel, and the set of black police-issue Tomenosuke grips I just "acquired" for another build in due course. It's all gone together really well and I'm going to start the detailing and finishing soon. The plan, after seeing KramStaar's build on his website, is to make it look like the 2006 World-Con photos (but not quite so rusty and without the infamous white wires).

Last edited:
My PKD

A few pics to show the blaster as it stands today;

Still a bit 'loose' and 'rattly' and requires some tightening and fettling but it's coming together nicely.
I wanted to give it the hero detailing but keep it in the condition it was in during filming rather than the way it appeared at World-Con; rusty and damaged.
The green LEDs in the sight rod aren't connected but again they were never seen lit on screen so that's fine with me.
I applied Turtle Wax car polish to the grips and left dry residue in the grooves. I also plan to darken the amber grips a little using the technique of Karl Derrick using ink washes on the inside faces and swap the weaver knob for a screen accurate slotted screw head..

To compliment the PKD I got five inert .44 hollow-point rounds from Ebay and an LAPD insignia wallet with Vid-Phon card, a 'Money Card' credit card replica from the states (possibly the worst piece of cheap photocopied crap I have ever seen!), a cool all metal police shield from policebadges.de in Germany and a fab screen-accurate holster by Karl Derrick, through Phil Steinschneider. I'm now working on a gun display and keeping an eye out for Leon and Rachel's photos, a future-Johnnie-Walker bottle, some screen accurate shot glasses and a 'bagged' snake scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'll look into that. Can't be any worse than this. My photo isn't out of focus by the way - the card is!

Last edited:
I do like your badge. There was no way I could get one like it here in California, so I had to improvise when I had mine done. I couldn't use the word 'police' on the badge, nor could I get a shield that had the LAPD HQ building on it. Definitely a great prop set here

working on a display stand for my blaster.
Prototype in plastic but I will be making a duplicate in mirror glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back