My PKD has finally arrived!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by userd1402, Jul 13, 2015.

1. userd1402

userd1402 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just had my 'holy-grail' prop arrive. Deckard's PKD blaster from Blade Runner. This was sold to me as a post-WorldCon Sidkit and I have no reason to think any different looking at the kit as it has arrived. In order to get it into the UK from Italy the sender broke it down into two separate packages and it got though customs no problem. All I have to do now is finish the pieces and assemble it. This may take some time as most of my modelling experience has been with Airfix and Revel kits...
    I'm no expert in pewter casting but I must say I'm really impressed by the crispness of these parts. Everything super sharp and precise (this thing weighs a tonne!). Looks like it should go together really well. All I'm waiting for now is the custom steel (Tomenosuke replacement) barrel I snagged off a guy on Etsy and I can start planning the buildup.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    RagleGumm, Nexus6 and Andy3E like this.
  2. 19narvik40

19narvik40 Well-Known Member

Looking really sharp. Just be careful with the white metal/pig metal/pewter, it doesn't take stressing very well and it cannot be welded or soldered. The metal will melt at those temperatures, I know from painful and costly experience. If something isn't fitting quite right I would suggest careful sanding and a lot of finesse. Please show us your progress.

3. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

Agreed with 19narvik40's comment, go slow and don't overwork or overstress the metal. The Sidkit is possibly the cleanest cast you will find in the older models and although there is some controversy surrounding Sid's excellent blaster (some of it legitimate) his Worldcon was mostly retooled to make it less controversial - and its a beauty.

I suggest you try and acquire a replacement (metal) barrel so that all the blaster pieces are metal.

Congratulations, you've made a sweet acquisition there and you won't be disappointed.

Regards

4. userd1402

Steel barrel is on it's way from the states KramStaar, and now through you I have found MarkRaats.com and the link to the original Sidkit instruction pages online so with the build threads on here and those resources I should be able to make a reasonable stab at it. Cheers.

KramStaar likes this.
  5. userd1402

And here it is. Worth the four week wait. Original plastic barrel is 100mm and this replacement Tomenosuke barrel is 103mm so I can make that work. Outside diameter seems perfect. Inner diameter looks more like I expected the thickness of a steel gun barrel to look so I'm happy there.

Now going online to find some gun-blue solution.

KramStaar likes this.
  6. joberg

joberg Master Member

Eager to see what you'll do to put that prop together. The barrel is top:)

7. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

Great to hear. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with..
    Welcome to the family.

Regards

8. RagleGumm

RagleGumm Member

I'll never tire of looking at these builds! Best of luck!

RG

9. userd1402

Joberg is right about the quality, the barrel is from Propsmith and I understand these were created by him and Rich Coyle so It's the best quality, although I've actually used a different one with different mounting holes. I'll be keeping the first barrel, and the set of black police-issue Tomenosuke grips I just "acquired" for another build in due course. It's all gone together really well and I'm going to start the detailing and finishing soon. The plan, after seeing KramStaar's build on his website, is to make it look like the 2006 World-Con photos (but not quite so rusty and without the infamous white wires).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  10. userd1402

My PKD

A few pics to show the blaster as it stands today;

Still a bit 'loose' and 'rattly' and requires some tightening and fettling but it's coming together nicely.
    I wanted to give it the hero detailing but keep it in the condition it was in during filming rather than the way it appeared at World-Con; rusty and damaged.
    The green LEDs in the sight rod aren't connected but again they were never seen lit on screen so that's fine with me.
    I applied Turtle Wax car polish to the grips and left dry residue in the grooves. I also plan to darken the amber grips a little using the technique of Karl Derrick using ink washes on the inside faces and swap the weaver knob for a screen accurate slotted screw head..

To compliment the PKD I got five inert .44 hollow-point rounds from Ebay and an LAPD insignia wallet with Vid-Phon card, a 'Money Card' credit card replica from the states (possibly the worst piece of cheap photocopied crap I have ever seen!), a cool all metal police shield from policebadges.de in Germany and a fab screen-accurate holster by Karl Derrick, through Phil Steinschneider. I'm now working on a gun display and keeping an eye out for Leon and Rachel's photos, a future-Johnnie-Walker bottle, some screen accurate shot glasses and a 'bagged' snake scale.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  11. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice job! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  12. Mechanized2400

Mechanized2400 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awesoooome!! Looks sick man:thumbsup

13. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You should be able to get a better "$ Card" from the good people at PropSummit.

14. userd1402

Thanks, I'll look into that. Can't be any worse than this. My photo isn't out of focus by the way - the card is!

15. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

Nice...looks good

16. userd1402

Forgot to show the bolt open, and the badge.

17. Collektor

Collektor Active Member

I do like your badge. There was no way I could get one like it here in California, so I had to improvise when I had mine done. I couldn't use the word 'police' on the badge, nor could I get a shield that had the LAPD HQ building on it. Definitely a great prop set here

18. userd1402

More acquisitions arriving.

Collektor likes this.
  19. userd1402

working on a display stand for my blaster.
    Prototype in plastic but I will be making a duplicate in mirror glass.

Collektor likes this.
  20. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

Are you still making a box?

21. userd1402

After seeing someone else's display here on the rpf I'm looking for a Halliburton Zero briefcase, like Deckard's, to display all the ephemera.
    At the moment I think I will include a dummy 'stunt' blaster casting in the holster with that set. Then I think I will display the 'good' blaster separately on a stand.
    like most people my plans evolve over time. I have also put myself on the waiting list for the 2016 run of Richard Coyle blasters. I could then use the Sidkit in the holster and swap it for the Coyle in the seperate display. I must admit to some trepidation about this as I'm still not convinced the Coyle is worth eleven hundred quid but we shall see. My plans will probably evolve further and my credit card may be in poor shape by then...

KramStaar likes this.
  22. joberg

joberg Master Member

Beautiful gun!! Eager to see the stand you're making for it:cool

23. userd1402

Does anyone have any information about the cigarette lighter Racheal uses in the Tyrell office V-K test scene?

24. userd1402

Speaking of changing plans, I couldn't resist...
    One of the run of Baccarat crystal future-JW bottles from Italy just leapt into my shopping basket and Hobbylink Japan have a stock of the Elfin Knights shot glasses from Bryant's office and the blue-band Tsingtao shot glass.
    Kurtyboy has also dispatched Leon's 'precious' photos so it's coming together.
    Pictures when it all arrives.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  25. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This hobby will drag you in and before you know know it it has you in it's clutches!

FordPrefect and KramStaar like this.
  26. userd1402

Blade Runner dragged me in thirty years ago Funky Jedi. It's only now I have the resources to indulge my obsession.

Now all I have to worry about is explaining this huge and expensive-looking collection of props to my wife when I take it out of my workshop and into the house...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  27. Nexus7

Nexus7 Member

I have one of the JW bottles that you speak of. You will not be disappointed. :)

28. userd1402

Finest quality. Superior workmanship

29. Nexus7

Nexus7 Member

30. Czar

Czar New Member

Awesome stuff. Insanely jealous but very pleased for you!

31. userd1402

I've spent the last couple of evenings in Photoshop creating some 'future cash' to accompany all the plastic cards in my wallet display.

Mike J. likes this.