My Pep builds/MMPR and Kamen Rider!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by crabra comander, Mar 27, 2012.

1. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Hello RPF'ers...

To fill the Void of waiting for my Cobra Commander helmet, I decided to try to make something for my daughter, a Pink Ranger helmet.

Dung0Beetle was kind enough to resize it and PDF it for me:thumbsup

Disclaimer:
    I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm taking my sweet time

I coated it with Mod Podge, then someone said, "Don't do that". OK, too late, but it was hard the next day. Someone said I could make paper mache clay. It turn out pretty clumpy, but thats never stopped me before so I clumped it onto the helmet

I read a couple more posts about smoothing it then painting it with primer and I tried that out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  2. crabra comander

Re: My first Pep build/MMPR

Your Opinions and help are Welcome.

My main questions would be:

1. Can I cut this safely with a dremel? The inside is just pep coated in mod podge, the outside is sturdy paper mache clay.
    2. Where do I make the cut?
    3. How do you get those minute details?
    4. Is this any good for my first try?
    5. Is anyone famous following this thread?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  3. Dung0beetle

Dung0beetle Well-Known Member

You need to start over and instead of modge podge and paper mache, use fiberglass resin and automotive body filler. Otherwise, your helmet will be very fragile and not water resistant. The paper mache is super heavy and is causing parts of your helmet to deform. You will get better results with less work if you go with fiberglass resin/body filler.

To apply fiberglass resin, mix the resin and hardener according to the instructions (at first--you may find a mix that works better in your climate). Then paint the resin onto the outside and inside of the helmet. (I prefer to do the inside first, let it set, give it another coat, let it set, then do the outside with 3-4 coats.) After the resin has set completely, you can either use fiberglass mat or fiberglass sheet cut into workable pieces. Apply a coat of resin to the inside and place the fiberglass (saturated with resin) to the inside of the helmet. Make a uniform thickness all over the inside. Let it set. Sand the inside where the fiberglass pokes out too much. (you can use a dremel for this). Sand the outside smooth. Apply body filler to smooth it. Sand it again.
    When you are happy with the smoothness, you can paint it.

To make the cut to separate the helmet to get your (or someone else) head inside, draw a line going from the vertical line that is on each side of the helmet and go up to the top, making the line as straight as possible as if you were taking a knife and chopping it in half. You cut the line with a dremel.

The details are done with a dremel. If you mess up, fill it in with body filler and try again.

There are some tutorial videos on youtube that will show you how to do this.

Another method is to use casting resin to harden the helmet. I don't have experience with it, so I'll let someone else show you how if you want to go with that method.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit:
    I don't mean to sound harsh or say it sucks, because the pep is done well, you just need to sand away the excess paper mache clay and it will work. You should also do the hardening/smoothing (with the clay) in small areas, so you don't lose details. If you do it all at once like you have done here, it becomes harder to figure out where seams and other details are.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. crabra comander

Thank you Dung0,

I will work with what I have and get a dremel to work the details.
    I am very amatuer level with this and by no means expect perfection. My daughter thinks it looks awesome right now, so thats all that matters.

5. crabra comander

I sanded down quite a bit, the lips region is very thin right below his lip...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  6. crabra comander

I busted out my generic brand dremel. I wasn't sure what attachments to use to round out the helmet, but I did get around the chin/lip region with a flat rounded sanding bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any tips are welcome. :confused
    I purchased yellow acrylic and some brushes

If this turns out decent enough I will try to build a Kamen Rider helmet from Ugly Duckling.

7. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

you know thats the pink ranger? so why yellow?

8. crabra comander

It will be for my daughter, but if my son wants to wear it he won't have any "identity" issues:$
    I will start dremeling this morning. Not sure what shape is best for rounding out the edges.

9. crabra comander

Have to get the lined black details in later. I'm very scared about cutting this in half, who wants to hold my hand?
    [​IMG]

10. Hyperballistik

Hyperballistik Member

Nice job so far, I've been thinking about making a Power Ranger helmet for the fun of it, im not crazy about the power Rangers but I keep seeing them and it makes me want to try one out and after seeing yours it does look pretty cool, keep us updated hope to see more soon

11. crabra comander

Thank you sir, I did cut it in half and did a horrible job cutting it straight.
    It is not flush around the edges when I lock it in place with the draw latches I purchased.

12. crabra comander

I know what you're thinking and the answer is: No this is not a screen used helmet...:behave
    I guess my next question would be:
    1. Can I still resin the inside?
    2. Can I use that insulation spray foam stuff to fill the inside of the helmet?

[​IMG]

13. toja

toja Active Member

looks great so far, if I may for question 2, you can use EVA foam and a hairdryer shape.

14. crabra comander

OK, just wanted to mention that Bondo is some volatile smelling stuff!
    I also had no clue that I had to mix to get the hardening effect.

I will attempt to bondo the area around the screws to keep my daughter from doing a Iron Maiden on her skull.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  15. crabra comander

Double post

16. ben reilly

ben reilly Member

looks great! can't wait to see it finished

17. crabra comander

Thats funny I didn't think anyone would like this build too much,
    much appreciated Ben Reilly!
    I did spray paint the helmet again. I'm usually pretty quick with posting pics but it's late.

I want to use a visor from my $5 Cobra Commander helmet, but the shape is off and it's chrome reflectiveness is maybe not right for this. I may try it anyway just to see.

18. crabra comander

So my next question is:
    What's the best way to line in the black area details?
    [​IMG]

19. Dpeterson117

Dpeterson117 Active Member

I hope you are using a respirator!

And on another note, the yellow ranger was also a girl;) lol. But it's looking. Get good so far!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

20. crabra comander

No respirator, but I'll be outside with the bondo.
    I am using my extremely tight budget to paint this helmet so forgive the crappy mouth job. I am using sponge brushes and metallic acrylics.
    [​IMG]

21. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Only on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. In the original Sentai series, the character was male...named Boi too!

Next time you watch MMPR, note the lack of a skirt on the Yellow Ranger. She was really a he. :love

-Nick

22. Dpeterson117

Do what? I remember back when I was like 5 that the yellow ranger was an Asian chick? I didn't watch anything before or after the "dinosaur" series.

[​IMG]

23. TheNickFox

That's what I'm talking about, but the American show is based on and uses footage from a series of Japanese shows going under the name "Sentai." In the Japanese show that the American show got its footage from, the yellow ranger was male. The American producers decided to make the character inside the costume female in order t have a more balanced cast.

This is why the yellow ranger didn't have a skirt like the pink ranger did, because the footage they used intended the yellow ranger to be a boy named Boi.

-Nick

24. Dpeterson117

Oh ok, I see what your saying now. My bad man.

25. crabra comander

Re: My first Pep builds!/MMPR and Kamen Rider!

YEAH, Yellow Ranger totally is a dude...Unless she's a girl.

I tried spray painting with high gloss, my masking skills suck and I left it runny in places.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  26. McAullay

McAullay New Member

Is this the design from the original series for the pink? I only ever watched the first and have seen countless newer series with thousands of different helmets, can't remember what the pinks design was.

27. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Crabra commander - the helmet you are making is actually the pink ranger helmet, so the yellow should be pink.

The yellow ranger character was a female named Trini but the ranger stunt double may have been a small, thin male. The yellow ranger was never a male role in the original MMPR.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  28. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

He knows it is the pink ranger helmet, but painted it yellow so his son could wear it too.

And the original show was shown in Japan before it was MMPR, in which the yellow ranger was a male.

29. TheNickFox

Thank you. :lol

-Nick

30. crabra comander

This thread has more discussion about the Yellow Ranger's sexuality than how I am doing:lol

The build is "complete" until I can paint without dripping and figure out how to screw this visor in.

I will probably combine this post with my Kamen Rider helmet build. It looks jacked up, hopefully my wife can fit it on my head so I can slap resin all over it:rolleyes

31. crabra comander

So I just finished the Kamen Rider pep but it feels like it is too small! :(
    It won't wrap all the way around my head. the front looks fine but the rest appears to small. I'll post pics later to see if anyone has any ideas on whether I can fix it.

32. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

that happens to me sometimes if i use the standard size i used on other helmets on a new project. well, you will be faster on the next try xD

33. crabra comander

Yeah, I can't scale it with this stoopid MAC...:(
    Maybe when I get back.

34. crabra comander

Oh my...I should've tried using my hands to drill the visor in...
    [​IMG]

35. crabra comander

I welcome any comments or concerns! I learned that printing in landscape makes your helmet bigger yesterday! :facepalm

Today I covered it in resin and then bondoed it...the resin destroyed my brush...and the bondo destroyed my brain cells...
    [​IMG]

36. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Crabra Commander - Hope this helps but Bondo isn't applied best when using a brush because it puts hair patterns and pulls hair from the brush, putting it in the bondo. Brushs are better used when fiberglassing. There is a plasitc wedged shape piece that you can buy in the same section of the bondo. It has a flat thin side which can be used to spread the bondo on and make it smoother for less sanding.

Also it's best not to use a bunch of bondo and "cake it on" because this will case more air bubbles and excessive bondo for sanding. Mix the bondo with the required amount of hardner to give you enough time to apply a thin layer (it's does dry quickier the more hardner used but becareful not to use to little or it may not dry) in the dips of the helmet before it hardens. Once you put on the layer, try not to play with it to much, trying to get the smooth shape ( I know that's my hardest part not to do) because it will trap more air bubbles under the layers. Press firm when applying the layer and putting multiple thin layers of bondo on after drying is better then putting globs of bondo on. In most pep files you don't have make the bondo cover the high, pointed "mountain" folds. You want the bondo to meet those areas and when you sand, it will sand down the mountain areas to a smoother finish. You want to use a heavy grit sand paper for the shaping then use a lighter/smoother sandpaper for finishing/smoothing. Primer spray paint usually helps when you are in the smoothing stage.

Not sure if that helps? It's all about trial and error. It also helps if you fiberglass mat the inside so when you sand down the high parts it doesn't make a big whole.

37. crabra comander

Thanks Blackkaos,

Trial and error for sure! I'll probably have to sand this down majorly! I'll be gone for a week, hopefully I can get the right tools for the job when I get back.

38. crabra comander

I bought fiberglass cloth and I'm about to post up some pics of the Kamen Rider Helmet after I've laid that inside it. I used some resin from Home Depot but it just doesn't feel strong enough.
    I trashed the other helmet I had since it was too small.

39. crabra comander

Look I are building something too! Resin'd the outside
    [​IMG]
    And Fiberglass clothed the inside!
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think, I definitely feel the fiberglass hardening up the helmet, now I gotta bondo.

40. KabutoRyder

KabutoRyder New Member

Any update on this ?

I am working on a Kuuga helmet I found online and the first one seemed too small, the second when I scaled it a bit, it seems like it could be bigger, but still not sure if it will slide over my head. I am thinking it will have to be made into two pieces, with hinges or something, trying to wrap my head around the logistics of that now.

Was curious to see how another Rider helmet maker was doing.

41. crabra comander

Well,

My first mistake was not doing it in landscape. Some shapes had to rotate to give them more space. Definitely the right size the second time around, but a failed effort, nevertheless!