My Pep builds/MMPR and Kamen Rider!

crabra comander

Master Member
Hello RPF'ers...

To fill the Void of waiting for my Cobra Commander helmet, I decided to try to make something for my daughter, a Pink Ranger helmet.

Dung0Beetle was kind enough to resize it and PDF it for me:thumbsup

Disclaimer:
I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm taking my sweet time

I coated it with Mod Podge, then someone said, "Don't do that". OK, too late, but it was hard the next day. Someone said I could make paper mache clay. It turn out pretty clumpy, but thats never stopped me before so I clumped it onto the helmet

I read a couple more posts about smoothing it then painting it with primer and I tried that out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My first Pep build/MMPR

Your Opinions and help are Welcome.

My main questions would be:

1. Can I cut this safely with a dremel? The inside is just pep coated in mod podge, the outside is sturdy paper mache clay.
2. Where do I make the cut?
3. How do you get those minute details?
4. Is this any good for my first try?
5. Is anyone famous following this thread?

Last edited:

You need to start over and instead of modge podge and paper mache, use fiberglass resin and automotive body filler. Otherwise, your helmet will be very fragile and not water resistant. The paper mache is super heavy and is causing parts of your helmet to deform. You will get better results with less work if you go with fiberglass resin/body filler.

To apply fiberglass resin, mix the resin and hardener according to the instructions (at first--you may find a mix that works better in your climate). Then paint the resin onto the outside and inside of the helmet. (I prefer to do the inside first, let it set, give it another coat, let it set, then do the outside with 3-4 coats.) After the resin has set completely, you can either use fiberglass mat or fiberglass sheet cut into workable pieces. Apply a coat of resin to the inside and place the fiberglass (saturated with resin) to the inside of the helmet. Make a uniform thickness all over the inside. Let it set. Sand the inside where the fiberglass pokes out too much. (you can use a dremel for this). Sand the outside smooth. Apply body filler to smooth it. Sand it again.
When you are happy with the smoothness, you can paint it.

To make the cut to separate the helmet to get your (or someone else) head inside, draw a line going from the vertical line that is on each side of the helmet and go up to the top, making the line as straight as possible as if you were taking a knife and chopping it in half. You cut the line with a dremel.

The details are done with a dremel. If you mess up, fill it in with body filler and try again.

There are some tutorial videos on youtube that will show you how to do this.

Another method is to use casting resin to harden the helmet. I don't have experience with it, so I'll let someone else show you how if you want to go with that method.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
I don't mean to sound harsh or say it sucks, because the pep is done well, you just need to sand away the excess paper mache clay and it will work. You should also do the hardening/smoothing (with the clay) in small areas, so you don't lose details. If you do it all at once like you have done here, it becomes harder to figure out where seams and other details are.

Last edited:

Thank you Dung0,

I will work with what I have and get a dremel to work the details.
I am very amatuer level with this and by no means expect perfection. My daughter thinks it looks awesome right now, so thats all that matters.

I sanded down quite a bit, the lips region is very thin right below his lip...
12156-smooth.jpg

Last edited:

I busted out my generic brand dremel. I wasn't sure what attachments to use to round out the helmet, but I did get around the chin/lip region with a flat rounded sanding bit.
12166-dsc04960.jpg

12167-dsc04958.jpg

Any tips are welcome. :confused
I purchased yellow acrylic and some brushes

If this turns out decent enough I will try to build a Kamen Rider helmet from Ugly Duckling.

Have to get the lined black details in later. I'm very scared about cutting this in half, who wants to hold my hand?
12170-dsc04961.jpg

Nice job so far, I've been thinking about making a Power Ranger helmet for the fun of it, im not crazy about the power Rangers but I keep seeing them and it makes me want to try one out and after seeing yours it does look pretty cool, keep us updated hope to see more soon

Thank you sir, I did cut it in half and did a horrible job cutting it straight.
It is not flush around the edges when I lock it in place with the draw latches I purchased.

I know what you're thinking and the answer is: No this is not a screen used helmet...:behave
I guess my next question would be:
1. Can I still resin the inside?
2. Can I use that insulation spray foam stuff to fill the inside of the helmet?

12199-lock-down.jpg

looks great so far, if I may for question 2, you can use EVA foam and a hairdryer shape.

OK, just wanted to mention that Bondo is some volatile smelling stuff!
I also had no clue that I had to mix to get the hardening effect.

I will attempt to bondo the area around the screws to keep my daughter from doing a Iron Maiden on her skull.

Last edited:

Thats funny I didn't think anyone would like this build too much,
much appreciated Ben Reilly!
I did spray paint the helmet again. I'm usually pretty quick with posting pics but it's late.

I want to use a visor from my $5 Cobra Commander helmet, but the shape is off and it's chrome reflectiveness is maybe not right for this. I may try it anyway just to see.

No respirator, but I'll be outside with the bondo.
I am using my extremely tight budget to paint this helmet so forgive the crappy mouth job. I am using sponge brushes and metallic acrylics.
12541-dsc05102.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back