My Not-So-Screen-Accurate Blade Runner Blaster

CB2001

Master Member
Well, It's been a while since I did a prop (the last one was my not-so-screen-accurate Back to the Future II Hoverboard for my not-so-screen-accuarte Marty McFly costume for Halloween a while ago). I actually began working on designing a prop that was inspired by the TV show/video game Defiance, a prop that is not based on anything from that source but inspired by them and look as if it could be from the world of the show/game. However, while acquiring a Defiance item (a "Arkhunter contract" that came with the Collector's Edition of the game), I finally came across someone who had one of two Chinese knock-off toys that look like Dekkard's blaster from Blade Runner for about $8, so I decided to go ahead and get one to do as my next project.

So far, I have the gun torn down, removed the electronics from it and have modified the barrel and am trying to figure out what to put into the gaping hole where the rotating bullets were. I'm not sure how much modifications I want to make to the gun, but so far, I've decided to remove the massive non-moveable hammer from the body, as well as the massive sights at the end of the top barrel. I've got some ideas of modification and pieces that I will use to make the gun look like a complete item. And I'm being inspired by many other similar BR knock-off toy gun mods like the ones featured in posts by Country Paul, SigsegV, Birdie, MrSinistar, baron von blondie, and Cameron1138’s blaster, in one and two pictures. And I am considering on utilizing some websites for information, including PropSummit.com and Mark Raat's WorldCon build for ideas and information on painting and possible detailing.

I'll be posting some pictures of the toy gun's modifications and get some feedback on what I am considering and any additional ideas. So far, I haven't decided to the degree of detailing I want to go with (such as if I want to wire up LED lights or if I want to just keep it simple by just painting the bits that look like they could be lights). I will admit, I wasn't aware that there was a screw holding on the battery compartment door, and I ended up breaking pieces of the door during the disassembly, so I would end up having to modify the battery compartment to fit in a small replacement for a power source if I did do the wiring for lights). I also don't know if I want to have the dual triggers or just have the one (I know that doing the dual triggers would result in me having to buy a one or two cheap toy guns to cannibalize for parts). So, any suggestions on parts and advice on detailing or modification would be welcomed. Like I said, I know this won't be screen accurate to the actual prop used in the film (the odds of being as such is also impossible), but I still think it would a great addition to have in my small collection of items.

Additional info: I’ve actually chopped off some of the barrel and will have a PVC piece that is going to be the front barrel (I've considered a 5 Hour Energy drink bottle, a PVC coupler, as well as a small pill bottle, which are also pictured). It fits in place without any problems. Looking at PVC pieces and other plastic pieces to put into the middle section where the rotating bullets were. Also, I'm considering on removing the trigger guard that come with the gun and replace it one that looks similar to the film, primarily because it's difficult to grip the gun with the trigger guard that's on it (this is just an idea at this point, I'll wait to see what y'all think)

The gun disassembled:
16581461642_06243bfca0_o.jpg

Pill Bottle test
16582164915_2356382f6b_o.jpg

Not sure if it should go this way...
16581459462_3ee582cb0a_o.jpg

Or this way.
16556165486_337e92c4fc_o.jpg

A small piece of PVC to replace the barrel. Planning on filling in those vents with plastic putty. This is the before the modification begins.
16580934251_d9c9b5c889_o.jpg

After the barrel modification. Haven't glued the piece in or filled in the vents yet. And I haven't done any sanding yet, but will do that when it comes closer to time for me to paint (as I know I'm going to have to sand off the numbers and letters on the sliding barrel, which I will also have to glue in place)
16396292129_c019f74824_o.jpg

Better shot of the PVC piece in place of the barrel. I've thought about using a washer to glue on the end of that open piece to make it look even closer to the barrel in the film.
16396290829_521082fb4a_o.jpg

The latest picture. The PVC coupler (up top), a PVC end cap with the cap from the pill bottle in the previous pictures (in the opening) and the 5 Hour Energy Bottle for potentials to use for the opening. I am probably going to use the same plastic putty to fill in that area with no matter which one I go with, and will use it to smooth out some items (like the cap) so that it looks like a solid piece.
16395123430_08ba0f7429_o.jpg

So, any advice, suggestions for parts and details, and feedback are welcome.

Last edited:
So far, so good.
What pill bottle did you use for the test fit? Round end forward, BTW

Thanks. :)

The test bottle was a CVS Pharmacy chewable, orange flavored aspirin. It's the smallest one they have. I'm leaning towards the PVC end cap with the pill bottle's cap, as it fits in the gap perfectly with the two, and I think the plastic epoxy putty I've got can definitely fill in the open gaps and hold the pieces in place, and a little more can smooth out a few of the details (I'd have to do that as my last step before painting).

I've found a dried out Crayola marker that I am going to cut up and insert into the top part of the gun (where you see the open area at the top of what used to be the moving slide), to give the impressive of a second barrel). I've still got some time to think about details, as right now I'm working on painting a room in my house (which will take a couple of days).

I'm DONE with mine. Sorry, no pics, I'm doing this on my phone.
At first I made a cowl for the stock cylinder using a 5-hour energy drink bottle. Cut the bottom off and trim to fit, fits right over the stock cylinder. I then kitbashed the sides of the cylinder off a Wal-Mart cap gun (the "Durango") to make it look like a proper revolver wheel. I also disabled the rotation by pulling off the gear on the end of the cylinder. I kept the stock electronics, and re-routed the light for the cylinder to the front of the gun to light some faux LEDs.
Looks great, but I'll probably re--do it. Cabela sell a toy "Hunting Pistol with Scope" at http://www.cabelas.com/product/Outd...ination=/category/Shooting-Toys/104565780.uts with a cylinder that' the PERFECT size! $15 at Cabelas.com, but I got mine at K-Mart for $8.

I'm DONE with mine. Sorry, no pics, I'm doing this on my phone.
At first I made a cowl for the stock cylinder using a 5-hour energy drink bottle. Cut the bottom off and trim to fit, fits right over the stock cylinder. I then kitbashed the sides of the cylinder off a Wal-Mart cap gun (the "Durango") to make it look like a proper revolver wheel. I also disabled the rotation by pulling off the gear on the end of the cylinder. I kept the stock electronics, and re-routed the light for the cylinder to the front of the gun to light some faux LEDs.
Looks great, but I'll probably re--do it. Cabela sell a toy "Hunting Pistol with Scope" at http://www.cabelas.com/product/Outd...ination=/category/Shooting-Toys/104565780.uts with a cylinder that' the PERFECT size! $15 at Cabelas.com, but I got mine at K-Mart for $8.

Hope to see the pictures soon. Been sort of busy repairing the roof and the inside of a closet in my spare bedroom in my house. I've already bought some automotive paint of flat black, glass black and silver, as well as clear coat, to be able paint the gun.

Still trying to decide if I want to have lights and stuff in mine or if I want to just do the painting. I know there's a Radio Shack in Valdosta that's closing down, so I may try to go over there one day out of the week in an attempt to buy items.

Giving a new update on my progress. Not so much, since I'm saving up for MegaCon and have been a bit busy at my house. But here's the new update.

IMG_4161 by codebreaker2001, on Flickr

As you can see in the picture, I have used QuikSteel Plastic Repair putty for some work. I haven't completed puttying up the pieces I need to into place, because I need to do some of the work on the triggers (that includes possibly adding LEDs, which I may not be able to do since the Radio Shack near by is closing down, and I don't know how much longer they have before they're completely closed, or at least go to the dollar store and buy some el-cheapo items to cannibalize since dollar stores tend to have a lot of items that use LEDs), so that center piece is still able to be removed, but i won't have to worry about those pieces falling apart. But, so far, I've used the Plastic Repair for keeping the pill bottle lid and the PVC end cap together. I'll probably use more of it to sculpt the pieces with the body and then proceed to sand it/Dremel it to what I need it to be (not sure if I'll have it stand out or have it blended into the body, but I figured either way, it'll work).

Also, I'm still contemplating replacing that trigger guard, but I'm still not sure.

IMG_4162 by codebreaker2001, on Flickr

For the former sliding top barrel, I've already put some of the plastic repair on the inside of the slide and removed one of the translucent pieces. I'm still looking at what to make for that top barrel portion that goes into that spot (I've got some spare pieces, including a part of an old permanent marker to cut up and use inside that slide piece). I'm still looking around for something to detail the front of that slide piece for the item to use for that satellite dish looking piece. I may sand down the numbers and the Superior Pistol off the slide as well.

IMG_4166 by codebreaker2001, on Flickr

As you can see on the front, I've used some of the putty to fill in the side vents. I put a little bit of it in those vents. Will have put a little bit more in there and then sand it down so that it's smooth. May have to try to put some on the front notches where the first vents were and then sand it down to blend.

IMG_4168 by codebreaker2001, on Flickr

And finally, got that fake hammer off the gun. It was actually pretty easy. I required a little cutting at first and then used a pair of pliers to break it off, and an Xacto knife to trim anything sticking up. I'm thinking about using a piece of scrap styrene to cover the hole on the inside, glue it into place and then use the putty on the outside to smooth everything out and blend.

Well, that's about it for now. :)

Update: After some consideration, and finding out the Valdosta Radio Shack was closed, I have decided it's probably best to just paint the gun instead of wiring it up with lights. But, like I said previously, right now I'm focusing on MegaCon, so there's a good chance I might change my mind.

So, in the meantime, I'm still trying to figure out what to use for this top barrel piece (in the blue square):

BladeRunner_Blaster_0 by codebreaker2001, on Flickr

I've also been thinking about doing another prop gun replica. Right now, I have a FN-57 electronic Airsoft gun that doesn't work and I've been trying to figure out how to make the grenade launcher part for that one, and I've even toyed around with doing a Season 1 blaster as well (since the design of the Season 1 blaster was inspired by Blade Runner).

Hopefully I'll be able to get a lot more of the work done on it after the convention.

I have ordered one of these knock off from amazon, two days ago and got it today, I am surprised at the size of this toy, it will take alot to make it look "right" but it can be done, of course if my grandson sees it he would love it

Cool beans. I've been a bit busy trying to rearrange my man ace to accommodate some new items I've picked up. But, I still plan on working on my replica a bit.

I've just finished one of these, and it has become my favorite prop that I've made! I like to see the various paths people take with their builds on these guns. I used a 1" PVC coupler to fill the gap where the gold bullets had been. I also ground the bullets down so I could use them and the little piece they ride on inside the coupler to hold it in the gap without any glue or anything. I disconnected them from the little motor though so it doesn't spin anymore. Did you plan to keep the moving slide or any of the lights? I'm excited to see the finished product!

I've just finished one of these, and it has become my favorite prop that I've made! I like to see the various paths people take with their builds on these guns. I used a 1" PVC coupler to fill the gap where the gold bullets had been. I also ground the bullets down so I could use them and the little piece they ride on inside the coupler to hold it in the gap without any glue or anything. I disconnected them from the little motor though so it doesn't spin anymore. Did you plan to keep the moving slide or any of the lights? I'm excited to see the finished product!

For me, I planned to remove the moving slide bit (in fact, when I make the modifications to it, I would have it be attached and glued in the back position so that it matched). I originally considered on wiring lights to it, but since Radio Shack closed down, I figured it'd probably be best to just paint it instead. I did, however, consider trying to cannibalize items from the Dollar Tree (including a flashlight that has LEDs) and may change my mind. But like I said, right now I've been sort of busy rearranging things in my man cave (I'll have to take a couple of updated pictures to show what I've got displayed after I get done).

Yeah I debated adding some LEDs on the lower barrel/magazine like the PKD but it just didn't work out and I didn't want to deal with it. I actually did add them but they aren't wired up and I ended up painting them to brighten them up more. Looking forward to more pics!

I'm resurrecting this thread as its been some time since I've last done anything to it. But, I figured I might as well get back to doing it soon. I had taken the plastic putty and covered the entire sides before sanding it down. The sanding didn't come out well, but I plan on purchasing more plastic putty and will try to do a wet sanding with a sponge sanding block. I want to try to get the sand down as smooth as possible before adding any details to it.

I am also still looking to figure out what to do for that top piece above the barrel.

Nest some LEGO parts, or scrap tube sections together?

Unfortunately, I don't have that many LEGO parts. But the scrap tubing seems like a likely idea. I've thought about maybe checking around to see if maybe there is a car model hubcap that might look similar to it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back