My Nicksdad DS Gun Build COMPLETED!

Luke Warmwater

Sr Member
I recently got one of Nicksdad's fantabulous DS gun kits and I wanted to share my build progress so far. I really can't say enough good things about the kit. It's all nicely machined aluminum and well-cast resin.

So far, I've completed the assembly:

DS gun by WF&DT, on Flickr

Instead of epoxying the pieces together, I decided to use pins (except for the muzzle fin, which is JB-Welded on). I drilled holes in the main tube through the frame inserts and inserted pop-rivet pins to hold it together. Another pin goes through the flash-hider and main tube from top to bottom. This allows me to disassemble the gun if I need to. I used a small spring attached to the trigger and another pin on the backstrap to keep the trigger in battery. I also epoxied the handgrips to the side panels because it was the easiest way for me to mount the grips.

I have on order a Luxeon Rebel Star LED in green and plan to rig it like Robiwan's excellent build.

More as the build progresses. I like the bare-alloy look of the kit so much it's almost going to be a shame to paint it.

Last edited:
That looks freakin awesome! Thanks for basing your build on my gun, that was an honor. You did a great job on yours. Adding a Luxeon Rebel Star I think is the best mod that can be done to this excellent kit.

Well, thanks, but don't look too closely or you'll see some of the ugliest soldering in the Western Hemisphere. :lol It's not that hard really. Luxeons may be obtained here and this place will help you calculate your power/resistor needs. Ther rest of the job is sifting through threads here and seeing how other folks did it before.

Thanks Luke. Yes, Luxeon Rebels are awesome little buggers! Not cheap as far as your typical LED goes. You just can't beat them for the amount of light they put out compared to say a 5mm LED. One of the other bennifets that you have found is that they emmit much more light to the side as compared to the cone shaped light pattern of a regular LED.

So, how geeked were you when you turned the lights off anf pulled the trigger the first time?

I sort of figured so with a 9 v. I decided on 3 AAA in a triangle configuration I ordered from Mouser. Works great.. I will try to post pics later. 2 AAs fit nicely too. Let me know how the run time is on the 9V. Awesome build!!!! (y)thumbsup

I had to dig up this thread to get the particulars on LED wiring for a working Galactica laser and thought peeps might like to know that the gun is still working on its original battery.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back