My NCR Veteran Ranger (First Costume)

NCRVetRanger

Hello all, I'm new here to the forum and this year was my first experience with Cosplay. Before leaving Dragon*Con 2010, I told myself I would not attend another year w/out bringing a costume. Around this time, Fallout New Vegas was being released and I thought the Ranger on the cover art was freakin' awesome!

After many months of planning, I went through several different methods of how I wanted to construct my costume. Long story short, I started in September 2010 but procrastinated and only worked on a majority of the costume for about 3 weeks.

If anyone is interested, I will post more about this along w/ some WIP shots, but I wanted to post my finished product I debuted at Dragon*Con this year and get everyone's opinion of how it turned out. I'm happy with it, especially considering it was my first attempt. There are several inaccuracies of course, mostly all due to time constraints.

Some obvious areas of improvement are:

-My armor...its a bit too big. My mobility was hindered a lot, and my stencils are too large as well.
-I did not add txt to the mask (arrows, numbers, etc.)
-I did not add the hoses/cables on the right side of the mask (Decided it was ok to go w/ in-game model accuracy due to time :))
-Lack of armguards - I actually constructed these but ended up not wearing them! :rolleyes
-My duster was just a bit too short.

I thought my gun was the best part of the costume and unfortunately it was stolen while I was adjusting my mask in the restroom! :angry

View attachment 66904

View attachment 66905

Someone stole your gun? wow wtf. I see your concerns but overall I still think it looks awesome. I might possibly do some molds of my ruger if I do you can have one.

Someone stole your gun? wow wtf. I see your concerns but overall I still think it looks awesome. I might possibly do some molds of my ruger if I do you can have one.

Thanks a lot Cal! And yea, I was very upset. I sat it down on the counter, adjusted my mask, and next thing I knew it was gone. :unsure

I've been about 5 times. I have heard some worse stories, especially last year from a friend of mine. Why someone would want to steal a part of someone elses costume is beyond me.

Are you going to completley remake the duster and chest armor?

I'm definitely going to redo the armor. As far as the Duster goes, I plan on just cutting the bottom part where it splits and adding more material.

Looks awesome!! Yeah, my only real critique as you already addressed was the length of the coat, but adding material isn't hard to do :)

Im busy at work with mine too, have exactly a month to finish!! Question: what did you use for the red lens? Many people use different things, but I can't find ANYTHING at my local store to use, Im stuck :(

Also, that really sucks about your gun! Who would do that? I had a table at the artist alley at one of my local conventions. I sell fleece hats.. someone stole my mannequin head that I use to display hats. Who does that? Seriously? People will steal anything, its a sad but true fact :(

What did you use for your gun and where did you get it? I had a cap gun I was going to paint but somehow it broke, and now I'm at a loss for a gun too, I need something fairly cheap!

Looks awesome!! Yeah, my only real critique as you already addressed was the length of the coat, but adding material isn't hard to do :)

Im busy at work with mine too, have exactly a month to finish!! Question: what did you use for the red lens? Many people use different things, but I can't find ANYTHING at my local store to use, Im stuck :(

Also, that really sucks about your gun! Who would do that? I had a table at the artist alley at one of my local conventions. I sell fleece hats.. someone stole my mannequin head that I use to display hats. Who does that? Seriously? People will steal anything, its a sad but true fact :(

What did you use for your gun and where did you get it? I had a cap gun I was going to paint but somehow it broke, and now I'm at a loss for a gun too, I need something fairly cheap!

Thanks for the compliment Allyson.

I feel ya on the lenses. I searched long and hard for some material to use for this. I ended using something I found in the school supplies aisle, lol! It was a Steralite(sp?) red tinted plastic document container. Its hard to tell from the pic but I also had a few red LEDs in the mask to add a red glow. My visibility was a bit foggy with this plastic but it worked out ok.

As for the gun, I can't remember where I purchased it, but it was a cheap airsoft revolver. I took the dremel to it, used some bondo and painted it to look more realistic. I'm very unorganized right now and just switched laptops but I'll post some WIP pics and see if I can find the link of the place I purchased it from.

BTW, Here's a much better pic I found that someone else took of me at the con.
Fallout Las Vegas | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Good luck on getting yours done, looking forward to seeing it!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back