My Mjolnir

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by smidgemcduff, May 13, 2012.

1. smidgemcduff

smidgemcduff New Member

A friend is going to the Boston Comic Con as Thor and wanted some help with his costume. Being that he is a bartender, it took him the span of an evening to convince me to build a Mjolnir.

Here is the result:

[​IMG]

I started with some MDF from an old desk from Staples. I measured out the head to be quite big (20 cm x 15 cm x 15 cm). Eveything got epoxied into place and screwed. I realized that these materials would result in a fairly heavy hammer, but I wanted it to have some serious heft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The end caps of the head were two layers of MDF. These were also epoxied and screwed. They were cut slightly smaller than the head and beveled. At this point, I want to mention that all of the cutting for this project was done with a coping saw. I don't exactly have a workshop, so the work was done on the balcony (we call it the SkyLounge).

[​IMG]

The handle is a dowel from Lowe's. I cut a notch in the top and two in the head. I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to spin. I also pounded it into place and put a couple of nails through the handle inside the head. It would be embarrassing if the head flew off whilst defending Asgard from the Frost Giants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bondo...sand...bondo...sand...PRIME...sand...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cap on top was a thinner sheet of MDF. The fancy scroll work on the end caps and the inscription were engraved with the dremel. I cut stencils and spray painted the designs on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole head got a coat of Krylon aluminum. After some clear coat, I filled the engraved spots with black acrylic and dirtied up the rest of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not a fan of how the handle looks in the Thor movie. Instead, I wrapped the whole thing in vinyl and then added two more strips of vinyl in a weave-ish kind of pattern. The ends got another vinyl strip with staples covered in small leather "stitches."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The strap was a couple more layers of vinyl. Every bit of vinyl is epoxied and stapled. The handle got some acrylic paint to give it some depth. Then I harnessed the power of a dying sun...AND DONE!

[​IMG]

2. smidgemcduff

smidgemcduff New Member

3. Laranorac

Laranorac Member

freakin sweet dood. A true inspiration to us who don't have all the fancy tools. Keep it up! and great build!

4. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Outstanding. It really came out well. Be sure to share some pics of your bartender friend with it.

5. chinbeard

chinbeard Active Member

Bravo, clone. =)

6. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks great! Isn't the handle a little long?

7. Volpin

Volpin Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A coping saw? You must have insane levels of patience...

Excellent result

8. Pobbrett

Pobbrett Well-Known Member

its amazing how we can improvise without a large amount of tools and still achieve what we want, great job

9. Xosmi

Xosmi New Member

This is a great job for the limited tools you used, i also like the way you did the handle, have to agree with you on it looking a bit tacky in the movie :)

10. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

way cool--like the ingenuity.

11. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

My wife has yet to complain.

12. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Wow...awesome work..looks really cool.:love

13. smidgemcduff

smidgemcduff New Member

[​IMG]

Here is the aforementioned bartender. The handle is a bit long. But this thing is big enough for me to use as a two-hander.

14. kalissuperman

kalissuperman Active Member

great work. really like the notch idea to keep it from spinning. i agree that the handle is too long, but so what? if anybody gives you any lip about it, call down the lightning on their butt, lol.

15. chinbeard

chinbeard Active Member

He is a middle school teacher, after all. Hit patience is legendary. =)

16. mattaiello92

mattaiello92 New Member

Beautiful build man, you make your ancestors proud. You wouldn't happen to have that stencil for the details on the angled edges would you? I'd love to take a crack at this myself. :)