MY METAL SONAR BATARANG PROJECT

Henry Wayne

Hi Guys,

I am kicking the idea to make a metal foldable Sonar Batarang and I have just finish making the resin prototype.. :lol

Basically, the Sonar Rang consists of 8 parts (including the two spring coil). You can see only 7 parts in this pic cause one of the part is the switch and it is stuck inside the Sonar Rang and I cannot pull it out to take the pic. :p

sonarprototype1.jpg

Here is how the mechanism works.

First insert the metal cylinder which is the hinge (axle) of the Sonar Rang.

sonarprototype2.jpg

Then insert the two spring coil and the two half ball like parts. This two parts are the locking system to lock the Sonar Rang in its opening position and the folded position. These two parts also will have a ball bearing effect for smooth opening of the Sonar Rang. ;)

sonarprototype3.jpg

The switch is inserted here on the Sonar Rang.

sonarprototype4.jpg

Assemblemed is like this.

sonarprototype5.jpg

To open the Sonar Rang, first you have to press the switch to unlock it.

sonarprototype6.jpg

Then you can open the Sonar Rang, the switch will keep in the pressing down position when you open it.

sonarprototype7.jpg

Once the Sonar Rang is opened, the switch will automatically pops up and lock the Sonar Rang in its opening position.

sonarprototype8.jpg

Sonar Rang in opening position.

sonarprototype9.jpg

Vice versa, you can press the switch down and fold the Sonar Rang, once it is folded, the switch will pops up and lock it. :lol

Does it looks cool guys? B)

Still needs some sanding and refining work to get it all done. :p

In my planning, I want to make this Sonar Rang in light weight metal so it will not feel to heavy to hold or hang it on the Bat Belt but unfortunately the metal factory told me that the cost for light weight metal is very high :( , so I decided to make it in durable diecast metal. :D

This Sonar Rang will be chromed in two kind of color, Chrome Silver and Metallic Black.

I will post pics of the finished Metal Sonar Rang once I have the test shot.. :lol

Henry :D

How is the hinge pin attached to each side? Is the axle two piece or a simple pin?

It seems a simple pin may work itself loose with the constant spring pressure and the rotation (one or both sides will have to spin on the axle).

Very cool project. :thumbsup

Originally posted by Henry Wayne@Mar 13 2006, 12:26 PM
Hi Guys,

I am kicking the idea to make a metal foldable Sonar Batarang and I have just finish making the resin prototype.. :lol

Basically, the Sonar Rang consists of 8 parts (including the two spring coil). You can see only 7 parts in this pic cause one of the part is the switch and it is stuck inside the Sonar Rang and I cannot pull it out to take the pic. :p

sonarprototype1.jpg

Here is how the mechanism works.

First insert the metal cylinder which is the hinge (axle) of the Sonar Rang.

sonarprototype2.jpg

Then insert the two spring coil and the two half ball like parts. This two parts are the locking system to lock the Sonar Rang in its opening position and the folded position. These two parts also will have a ball bearing effect for smooth opening of the Sonar Rang.  ;)

sonarprototype3.jpg

The switch is inserted here on the Sonar Rang.

sonarprototype4.jpg

Assemblemed is like this.

sonarprototype5.jpg

To open the Sonar Rang, first you have to press the switch to unlock it.

sonarprototype6.jpg

Then you can open the Sonar Rang, the switch will keep in the pressing down position when you open it.

sonarprototype7.jpg

Once the Sonar Rang is opened, the switch will automatically pops up and lock the Sonar Rang in its opening position.

sonarprototype8.jpg

Sonar Rang in opening position.

sonarprototype9.jpg

Vice versa, you can press the switch down and fold the Sonar Rang, once it is folded, the switch will pops up and lock it. :lol

Does it looks cool guys?  B)

Still needs some sanding and refining work to get it all done. :p

In my planning, I want to make this Sonar Rang in light weight metal so it will not feel to heavy to hold or hang it on the Bat Belt but unfortunately the metal factory told me that the cost for light weight metal is very high  :( , so I decided to make it in durable diecast metal.  :D 

This Sonar Rang will be chromed in two kind of color, Chrome Silver and Metallic Black.

I will post pics of the finished Metal Sonar Rang once I have the test shot..  :lol

[snapback]1204774[/snapback]​

Give me a shout--I may be able to help.

Appliedmetal

LiquidPhoenix,

Thanks..
I am glad you like my idea.. :lol

Lawgiver,

It seems a simple pin may work itself loose with the constant spring pressure and the rotation (one or both sides will have to spin on the axle).

You are right on this. The axle is just a simple pin. I am now working with the metal factory to see if there is a way to get the Rang assembled in this way. I don't want to use a screw to go through the axle to attach the bottom part and the top part of the Rang together cause the Rang will not looks good with a visible screw. I'll keep you posted on my progress. ;)

Appliedmetal,

Thanks man.. If there is anything I may need your help, I'll PM you. ;)

Blufive,

Thanks.. I'll keep you posted.. :lol

Check out the Constantine knucks that I am doing . That may give you a better idea of what we are capable of.

What you have looks awesome so far. I can help with making these look like metal also. I have a metal that looks like Black Chrome with metalflake.

It looks awesome

Here is a quick example of some of the machining-

Appliedmetal

Last edited:
Project was finished in 2007. Henry has since made some other very cool batman props. I'm pretty sure he's out of the prop making game though. It would be best if you didn't bump 4 year old threads. Best bet is to wait and find a rang in the junkyard.

Yeah, an old project and one of my favorites... I've seen them pop up once in a while in the junkyard too. I've got one in my meager prop collection and it's still one of my favorite replicas.

Here's a link to one I found on yourprops.com (not mine, mind you - I'm pretty sure this is a Henry Wayne replica at least) if you want to see a finished one:

Batman Forever (1995), Sonar Batarang, other replicas

It's really heavy and the chrome picks up fingerprints like a son-of-a-gun so I don't handle it much but it's simply a stunning replica. Definitely worth the money when one pops up for sale.

Project was finished in 2007. Henry has since made some other very cool batman props. I'm pretty sure he's out of the prop making game though. It would be best if you didn't bump 4 year old threads. Best bet is to wait and find a rang in the junkyard.

I think that Henry still sells some of these Batarangs on evilbay...sometimes !!

I just picked up one of these on ebay. You might want to check again. I think I saw one up there yesterday.

And btw, no harm in brining up old threads. It can spark new interest which is a good thing. ;)

Well, if my memory serves, the price on eBay is really interesting...about $100 or something like that.

Just got my sonic batarang. I have to say it is a VERY well made prop. Such a heavy and solid feel makes it feel very real. Very well worth its Ebay price!

I've tried to find a way to reach Henry, to congratulate him on a truly well made prop, but he seems to have disappeared altogether.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back