My Mal Pistol... First resin build-up I ever did.

amish

Sr Member
Hello fellow friends of Firefly and others who may just be curious :)

This is the first time that i have worked on finishing a resin piece. It was a lot of fun once I realized that the dremel is my friend :) The painting I am happy with as it is my first time doing so and I think I did OK.

Anyway, the pics aren't that great, however; I am interested in hearing all negative and positive feedback. Weathering for me was something I just couldn't get, so I kind of dusted the pistol with a bronze colored shiny paint ;-) I look forward to learning anything I can from this experience so please do share.

mal11au.jpg

mal37so.jpg

That looks pretty good, so it's not as weathered looking (at least in the photos) as Mal's. Call it a pristine pistol.

David.

Good Job, Tom.

Try experimenting with a Q-Tip & Rubb N' Buff on a piece of painted resin to see how you can subtly highlight edges to give it that "real world" holstered look. :)

Your bud,
Gabe

Thanks for the information about Rub N' Buff. I have not heard of that product before and maybe one of you fine gentleman can direct me to retailer. I am going to believe probably a Home Depot or such may carry it?

Thanks again...

Tom

Originally posted by amish@Jan 26 2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the information about Rub N' Buff.  I have not heard of that product before and maybe one of you fine gentleman can direct me to retailer.  I am going to believe probably a Home Depot or such may carry it?

Thanks again...

Tom
[snapback]1168613[/snapback]​

Rub N Buff usually is found at hobby stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Here's a site thats shows the colors they have, they come in small tubes (which actually go a long way.): http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/No...gs/RubnBuff.htm

Very nice job.

I really need to get on the ball and get me one of these. But I keep holding out hope for a metal version or, at the very least, a resin kit that I can build around an airsoft for that metal heft feeling.

Originally posted by amish@Jan 26 2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the information about Rub N' Buff.  I have not heard of that product before and maybe one of you fine gentleman can direct me to retailer.

Rub 'N Buff is great. It's pretty easy to work with too. However, after applying it, and you're satisfied with the results, make sure you spray on a sealer/clear-coat over it because it'll come off onto your fingers if you handle it. I learned that the hard way after doing a Jango helmet with it. :)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back