My Mal Pistol... First resin build-up I ever did.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by amish, Jan 25, 2006.

1. amish

amish Sr Member

Hello fellow friends of Firefly and others who may just be curious :)

This is the first time that i have worked on finishing a resin piece. It was a lot of fun once I realized that the dremel is my friend :) The painting I am happy with as it is my first time doing so and I think I did OK.

Anyway, the pics aren't that great, however; I am interested in hearing all negative and positive feedback. Weathering for me was something I just couldn't get, so I kind of dusted the pistol with a bronze colored shiny paint ;-) I look forward to learning anything I can from this experience so please do share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Krel Jedi

Krel Jedi Well-Known Member

That looks pretty good, so it's not as weathered looking (at least in the photos) as Mal's. Call it a pristine pistol.

David.

3. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

I think it looks great man. Working on my second resin peice myself..A PKD ;)

4. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good :thumbsup

5. amish

amish Sr Member

Thanks guys. I will try and get a better pic of it and post it a little later.

6. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Very nice. I really like the grips a lot. They look great. :)

7. JediLip

JediLip Well-Known Member

I think it looks great. :thumbsup

8. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Looks great :thumbsup

9. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Good Job, Tom.

Try experimenting with a Q-Tip & Rubb N' Buff on a piece of painted resin to see how you can subtly highlight edges to give it that "real world" holstered look. :)

Your bud,
    Gabe

10. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Very nice job Tom. I agree with Gabe, try some Rub-n-Buff on the edges, that works very well for metal worn-ness. :)

11. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

shiny.. :thumbsup

12. amish

amish Sr Member

Thanks for the information about Rub N' Buff. I have not heard of that product before and maybe one of you fine gentleman can direct me to retailer. I am going to believe probably a Home Depot or such may carry it?

Thanks again...

Tom

13. Lord Abaddon

Lord Abaddon Sr Member

Rub N Buff usually is found at hobby stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Here's a site thats shows the colors they have, they come in small tubes (which actually go a long way.): http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/No...gs/RubnBuff.htm

14. amish

amish Sr Member

Thanks LA, I appreciate the information.

15. IronFist

IronFist Well-Known Member

Very nice job.

I really need to get on the ball and get me one of these. But I keep holding out hope for a metal version or, at the very least, a resin kit that I can build around an airsoft for that metal heft feeling.

16. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Ack. Terrible. A complete loss. Only thing to do now is send it to me, and I'll dispose of it properly. ;)

Ya done good.

17. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

Very, very schnazzy.

18. JediLip

JediLip Well-Known Member

Rub 'N Buff is great. It's pretty easy to work with too. However, after applying it, and you're satisfied with the results, make sure you spray on a sealer/clear-coat over it because it'll come off onto your fingers if you handle it. I learned that the hard way after doing a Jango helmet with it. :)