My Luke ANH Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Filandrius, May 5, 2012.

1. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

So I've just completed my newest (and most likely last) Luke ANH lightsaber replica. This is my third one; the first was a Larbel, the second a Parks. This one is a genuine Graflex, something that I've wanted for a long, long time. I did a lot of research and used the most accurate parts available; the only thing I couldn't secure was an Exactra calculator, so I went with Philip Wise's incredible cast of the bubble strip. So long story short: vintage Graflex (from RPF member Serenity) T-tracks grips (from GINO) D-ring and clip (from thegreatgalling) and the aforementioned bubble strip. I'd also like to thank thegreatgalling for his great build thread, he was a true inspiration. Thank you all, guys. :)

As for the build itself, I went with the "not too perfect" approach, which consist of measuring but not too much, to get the "quick and dirty" finish of the real prop. I sanded the bubble strip so that it'd fit in the clamp, cut and finished the grips with a file and sandpaper, and glued them on by using the space between the grips on the partsofsw template as a rough guide (so that they wouldn't be too evenly spaced) However, even if the rest of the saber is pretty accurate, I cheated with the D-ring. Since I couldn't bring myself to drill into the flash, I glued on the clip after cutting the end off a rivet (glued on too) It looked riveted on, and the Graflex isn't irremediably damaged.

So that's pretty much it. Let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: please see post #26 for pics of the finished saber.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Randy13

Randy13 Well-Known Member

For me, even thought it may not be "perfect", there's always something special about just building something yourself instead of buying a mass produced object. on the other hand, this looks perfect to me. Great job.

3. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

+1

It looks really nice

4. Phish4dinner

Phish4dinner Active Member

Scratchbuilding is great. But, nothing beats the real deal. Your soul feels as it would owning a screen used prop. Great job man, as always. You maniac! :)

5. subaru

subaru Member

Very Nice work!

6. JesseSavage

JesseSavage New Member

I don't know if i'm doing this right but i've been looking forever for a Graflex flash, i've searched ebay but they are More expensive than a lightsaber of the same Design does anyone have any other places to look?
    thanks.

7. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Craigs List, Ebay, Flea Markets, Camera Shops (but they know and will jack prices up). Really it's what you search. Look for lots of old camera equip. and stuff like that. Shop in the category in which it would be cheaper and more common. These things are not of much value to camera enthusiasts. searching Graflex 3 cell flash is pretty up front, but browsing the vintage camera section, you're likely to come upon a lot, or a couple items that someone is selling from a photography collection to get rid of them. Mine was someone selling his uncles Camera/Photography collection and i asked if he had one of these in there. Craigs list, I tried it, demanded (well asked specifically) for photos and stuff of that nature and his uncle had one in pristine condition. So...hope that helps haha Just be a little intuitive when searching, search under things and not in plain sight.

8. jbarela

jbarela New Member

great job..and like all great things..they are lucrative...let me know when you are ready to let it go... jrbjr71@yahoo.com

9. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

I wasn´t talking about scratchbuilding, but that has it´s own fun-factor, for sure. I was talking about making your own stuff with your own tool from the correct parts, instead of buying prebuild licensed replicas in a online-shop, or something that way.

To be honest ..... up to now i´ve never had that feeling with any of my real parts props. But on the other hand, "screenused" means nothing to me, other than maybe a possibility of reselling it with profit

For me it´s all about the fun of building the stuff.

10. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

Nicely done.

11. tk3105

tk3105 New Member

Beautiful!!!

12. Filandrius

Thanks for the kind words guys, it's really appreciated. :)

And yes, I totally agree with the building yourself vs. buying a mass produced replica. After all, hand-made is the name of the game in props; nothing should be precise and machined (except for the found parts, of course :p) A prop made from the correct part will always be more authentic than an "official" replica, IMHO.

Speaking of which, it may explain why a Graflex flash is more expensive than a "lightsaber of the same design". It's the same exact part that was used to make the real prop, not a fake made in a factory. As good looking as the official replicas are, they don't use the correct parts. Nuff said!

13. CapedCrusader07

CapedCrusader07 New Member

Great job man, looks perfect

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

14. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

Wow, how did I miss this! What a beauty! It looks absolutely perfect to me!

15. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great! :thumbsup

16. Filandrius

Thanks for the comments guys, really means a lot. :)

17. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

SUPER Nice! I love the ANH...

I've build an ESB and last night just finished an ANH, but I'm saving the Gino grips and rebelscum strip for my own personal one. This looks great!

18. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi Filandrius,

Excellent built ... so what's next?

-Chaim

19. Filandrius

Excellent question. I have a ANH Obi in the works, as well as a Rocketeer helmet, an Aliens Pulse Rifle and a Ghostbuster Proton Pack (yeah, another one) Let's just say that my free time will be busy in the next few months. :p

20. Berliner

Berliner New Member

I really like it.

21. CY Productions

CY Productions New Member

You did a very nice job!
    Well done and accurate.

22. Filandrius

Sorry for bumping that old thread, but I took better pictures of my Luke ANH when I finished my Obi. Plus I just had to take a few pics of them together. So here they are! :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  23. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The D-ring is about all I'm missing for my Graflex... Where did you get yours? I see you said "great galling"... is that a member?

I was looking around my city at shops, and haven't found one with that look...

Thanks!

24. scottjua

Awesome! Now you need a Vader to finish out the bubble strip trifecta. ^_^

25. Filandrius

Yep, thegreatgalling is a member here. See post #14 above!

I've been thinking about it, believe me. :p

26. Filandrius

Done. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  27. scottjua

that thread update was four years in the making!

28. Filandrius

LOL yeah I know! I just thought I'd post updated pictures of the minor updates I've done recently. It's not like I've been working on it for the last 4 years; after all this is a "glue some grips on it and call it a day" kind of thing, not a real build!

scottjua likes this.
  29. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Beauty, man!

Filandrius likes this.