My Lifesize 1:1 Alec Guinness ANH Obi-Wan Kenobi

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a lifesize figure project that I've been wanting to complete for a very long time. Been busy collecting pieces for my Gonk droid project (damn you Fuzzual!) and finishing my Death Star Hangar room, but I finally found some time to work on this. I haven't airbrushed much, bought one a few years ago when I started my Luke X-wing and haven't used it a ton, so I'm still getting use to it.

I bought a mannequin off eBay and removed the head. I went with a smaller mannequin that was about 5'10" to try and stay close to Alec's original height. Unfortunately he is a bit slim, but I'm going to bulk his sides up with some foam. Once he's dressed I don't think you'll notice. His head is also disproportionate compared to the rest of the body, but again I think that will be hidden once he's dressed.

Obi12a.JPG

obi3a.JPG

Removed the eyes and started airbrushing the flesh tone.

Obi1a.JPG

I got most of the base coats on and did a little highlighting. I bought some fake eyes and installed those as well.

Obi1.JPG

Obi2.JPG

obi3.JPG

obi4.JPG

I still have some detailing to finish up then I can mount this to the mannequin body.

I'm looking forward to adding this to my Death Star Hangar room!

Last edited:
Re: My Lifesize Alec Guinness ANH Obi-Wan Kenobi

Very cool, looking forward to seeing the progress. I think the head size will be fine once the robe is on

Wow now here's build you don't see every often ... what kind of pose are you thinking of ? Anything with his lightsaber in hand and ready to strike would be great :)

Chaim

Wow now here's build you don't see every often ... what kind of pose are you thinking of ? Anything with his lightsaber in hand and ready to strike would be great :)

Chaim

I agree with Chaim. The pose is what brings these life size to life in my opinion. Requires alot more effort but well worth it :)

this is very exciting. Obi wan is my favorite! ill be watching over this thread with great interest.

Not much time to work on Ben this weekend, but I did manage to get his head mounted. After completing this my fears of his head being totally disproportionate have somewhat quelled. For some strange reason the picture does exaggerate it, but it looks much better and seems less noticeable in person. This was another rush job, I didn't spend a lot of time trying to smooth the patch work or blend the flesh tones because it's going to be completely covered under his clothes. I did cut the neckline a little low in the back, but again it won't be noticeable once he's dressed.

Obi.JPG

Obi2.JPG

I threw a blanket over his head just to see how it looked before moving forward with the robe.

Obi3.JPG

As for his pose, not sure yet. I was thinking about one of these two, what do you guys think?

pose1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

Yep those poses will do ... but the latter one might give you troubles because of the balance, you would need to tighten OB1 at his waist to the wall or something ... if I were you I would make both arms bendable, as well as the head able to turn sideways or nod up and down, so you can choose which pose you like for a while and change it later when you're in a different mood, though that would require some great efforts and work, not to mention
lots of patience to achieve ... so for peet's sake don't rush this project ... take your time, do some research in mannequins and natural looking postures
:)

Chaim

Pardon my ignorance but where is the head from? Is it a resin cast?

Yep those poses will do ... but the latter one might give you troubles because of the balance, you would need to tighten OB1 at his waist to the wall or something ... if I were you I would make both arms bendable, as well as the head able to turn sideways or nod up and down, so you can choose which pose you like for a while and change it later when you're in a different mood, though that would require some great efforts and work, not to mention
lots of patience to achieve ... so for peet's sake don't rush this project ... take your time, do some research in mannequins and natural looking postures
:)

Chaim

I can say with 100% certainty that his head will not be pose-able! I've modified three of my mannequins (Boba Fett, Captain America, and my Stormtrooper) only at the arms and that was a chore. I'll do something..........

Nice!

Pardon my ignorance but where is the head from? Is it a resin cast?

It's resin I believe, I don't know the origins of it, I met a guy a few years ago on Craigslist when he wanted to buy my HIC and I got this and a Luke from him. I haven't ever seen these for sale here or on eBay.

Jeez at least put a pair of shorts on him. Poor Alec never looked so undignified.

I should have clothes for him this week!

Pose for me would be either hood up, saber forward just before ANH duel, or saber in both hands infront of face at end of duel. The hands would be tricky though since he doesn't wear gloves.

And I would have the wires visible from saber going up sleeve!

Looks like a JRX (re)cast to me

Markus

After seeing your post, I checked JRX's threads and this is definitely not his/hers. However, I noticed that thread was labeled "Ben" so I searched and found a thread by Chewie15. It's obvious mine is a cast of his/hers. I had always searched "Obi-Wan Busts" and got 60+ pages of returns, never found anything to indicate mine was a recast. As I mentioned before, you just don't see much about these Obi-Wan busts. When I learned of the JRX Ben post today, I did another search on "Ben Busts" and that's how I found Chewie15's thread.

It was never my intention to purchase a recast. I've been in this community long enough to know that is unacceptable. I'll take a moment to publicly apologize to Chewie15 if I inadvertently supported a re-caster. I have looked at his/her work and have nothing but respect and admiration for his/her talent. I have reached out to Chewie15 to see if this is even an authorized copy and to apologize if it isn't. Out of respect to him/her, I also advised that I will gladly take down the photos and discontinue this thread if he/she wishes.

Last edited:

Calm down...
it was not my intention to call you out as supporting a recaster, not at all!
I even don´t know if your Obi head is an original or a recast...how could I?!

I just guessed about the origins and since these busts (Chewie, JRX and MANY others) have been copied quite often over the years, I posted "(re)cast"

All is good ;)

Markus

Calm down...
it was not my intention to call you out as supporting a recaster, not at all!
I even don´t know if your Obi head is an original or a recast...how could I?!

I just guessed about the origins and since these busts (Chewie, JRX and MANY others) have been copied quite often over the years, I posted "(re)cast"

All is good ;)

Markus

Calm as can be here my friend. You've been here long enough to know that sometimes that first stone gets cast pretty quickly.............

So I was thinking about what I wanted to do for shoes/boots. I saw a picture once where it looked like Alec was wearing a basic hiking boot, but I could be wrong. Anyway, since his tunic is so long I figured I could get away with something cheap since 1) they're going to have a hole in them, 2) you won't really see all that much of them, 3) this is not something I'll be wearing in the near future! Found these Faded Glory shoes at Walmart for $18.00; can't go wrong there. I put a hole in the left one so I could slide the mannequin foot peg through.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

So I got some friends coming over for poker tomorrow night, I'm guessing I shouldn't leave old Ben out like this!

Not unless you're playing strip poker!
This is what happens when Obi-Wan goes "all in" and isn't sensing the Force clearly.

Out of the two poses you suggested earlier, I personally prefer the first one. Saber in hand (no blade) ready to ignite at any moment.
Never completely had a big interest in life size displays, but I've been following this closely.

Not unless you're playing strip poker!
This is what happens when Obi-Wan goes "all in" and isn't sensing the Force clearly.

This is how he looked in the "alternate no limit hold'em cantina scene" and also why he was originally referred to as "crazy"!

Out of the two poses you suggested earlier, I personally prefer the first one. Saber in hand (no blade) ready to ignite at any moment.
Never completely had a big interest in life size displays, but I've been following this closely.

Me too, first pose is what I'll try and do.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back