My last Cap shield ... seriously!

Valor and anyone that can help. Do you have any tips on how to remove fingerprints from the aluminium before you spray it as I have touched mine and can't seem to get the prints off it

Thanks chris

But valor superb paint job

A lot of good info here.

Btw, Valor, for a shield I am working on for a stunt show, we are experimenting with various auto clear coats for durability and scratch resistance. Pretty much the same as you have done. And I agree the gloss is a bit too much for the right look. It's a delicate balance though, as if you matte it too much, it takes away the metal luster. We're trying to find the happy medium that gives it the right look that my usual clear coat gives. :)

That looks great. I don't think you should feel bad about the multiple attempts. I've done the same thing. Everytime I make one I say "this is the last one! no more!", and then I think of something I could improve...ugh.

I think I'm going to give the the auto clear coat a shot as well after seeing the way yours turned out! I just emailed a local shop for an estimate. I swear I'll be 100% happy one of these days :/ The good news is that I can at least make my money back each time I cave and decide to give it another go.

man that's awesome...are you going to make a thread with step by step instructions? that'd be really helpful to me, as I am interested in starting my own...where did u get the blank shield though? thanks

Great work! So jealous, I really want one of these but I wouldn't even know where to start, and I don't have the funds to buy a blank or completed one. Congrats on such a fine job!

Valor, I'm getting a little frustrated painting the shield. I know you have stated before that one should apply several thins coats, but should we try to get up a little close and do a "wet" coat, or should it just be several thin coats applied while holding the can 8-10 inches away?

It's just hard to tell from some of the pictures of successful builds to judge exactly how the color looks. In some the color has a matte look while in others it appears very shiny and glossy.

Thoughts?

Louis

Louis, for the color coats don't worry about the surface finish of the paint. Your clearcoat will set the gloss. And it doesn't even matter if one part of the shield is flat looking and one part is shiny. You are not trying to get a nice sheen with the color. You are just getting color down nice and even. For example, you could have one half of the blue circle look flat, and the other half shiny. When you put on your clear, it'll all even out. Trust me. Your main goal is nice even tone.

Got it. Thank you once again for your input. No doubt others seeing this thread will appreciate it as well. Been having rainy weather in Florida this week, so I may have to wait until a nice day to paint again. I hope to create my own thread in the future to share my results.

Yes, this thread is already helping me too! Just as Valor has done for me in the past SEVERAL times. His expertise is invaluable with these shields.

Is it normal for the paint to be "gritty"? I painted my blue circle and the paint was on pretty evenly, but it seemed to come out so gritty that I stripped it to do it again. Should the paint go on smooth or does the clear coat gloss it up and smooth it out?

Valor, what you said above is absolutely golden for those of us that just started painting these!

Louis, for the color coats don't worry about the surface finish of the paint. Your clearcoat will set the gloss. And it doesn't even matter if one part of the shield is flat looking and one part is shiny. You are not trying to get a nice sheen with the color. You are just getting color down nice and even. For example, you could have one half of the blue circle look flat, and the other half shiny. When you put on your clear, it'll all even out. Trust me. Your main goal is nice even tone.

I wish I would have remember reading this Sunday night. I had repainted another few coats of red trying to get rid of the flat look on a few areas of the shield...Now I have stripped it down to bare metal again. I'll remember it this time. Ah, learning.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back