My Kylo Ren Build WIP

Nice build! And I saved those templates and have been tracing them onto a white document for better printing. If your ok with it I can post those white templates here for everybody

View attachment 467714
Here's what I came up with. I did most silver with just hints of the brass color. I used a graphite color paint for the darker under tones. I'm pretty happy with it! :)
Whoa, that looks great! Do you "seal" your craft foam before you paint it? I used foam for my female Tusken but I then covered the foam pieces in Model Magic (yes, really; it's about 1/4 the weight of fibreglass!), I haven't had much luck painting foam directly.

Whoa, that looks great! Do you "seal" your craft foam before you paint it? I used foam for my female Tusken but I then covered the foam pieces in Model Magic (yes, really; it's about 1/4 the weight of fibreglass!), I haven't had much luck painting foam directly.
thanks!! I just use plastidip to seal it. In this case the rubber coating came in the perfect color for me!

I started my build tonight. I'm fairly new to pepping this is only my second thing I've pepped (the other was the Star Lord helmet) and after two hours of work I can honestly say the helmet dome is kicking my butt. All I have so far is a piece about the size of a yarmulke and it's super rough looking. I'm really not happy with it at all. I haven't decided yet if I'm gonna keep trudging on with it, start over, or just trash the damn thing and wait till some one does a cast run.

I started my build tonight. I'm fairly new to pepping this is only my second thing I've pepped (the other was the Star Lord helmet) and after two hours of work I can honestly say the helmet dome is kicking my butt. All I have so far is a piece about the size of a yarmulke and it's super rough looking. I'm really not happy with it at all. I haven't decided yet if I'm gonna keep trudging on with it, start over, or just trash the damn thing and wait till some one does a cast run.
sorry to hear that! Let me know if theres anything I can do to help!

sorry to hear that! Let me know if theres anything I can do to help!

Is there any trick to doing the dome and have it not look like crap? How do you do it? Do you assemble each row and squeeze the other rows into the newest one and glue or do you assemble the bottom most row around the forming dome?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    723.6 KB · Views: 396
This is great! Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing the build & templates. What did you use for the chrome? Any suggestions for creating the back of the helmet, just free-hand? Thanks!

This looks amazing (so far) - are you doing the entire costume, lightsaber and all? I'm considering doing a build of the helmet but that's as far as I expect to go.
Do you happen to have links for the reference photos used for the cheek details? I can't find any that have a clear enough shot. Thanks in advance, and I can't wait to see the rest of your outfit!

Sorry if it was already in the thread, I might have missed it - but how thick was the foam you used for the main dome and face plate?

Hey there! Sorry it took me forever to reply! Yes I am planning on building the whole suit. Lightsaber (with blades) and all! ;) the back of the dome I just free handed based on the concept drawing. The helmet itself is 6 mm foam with 3 mm foam for details. The chrome look I got from a silver paint pen for Walmart. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back