My Ironman Costume. (W.I.P)

Dpeterson117

Hello everyone!

This is my first pepakura project, I have done costumes before this one, but not with this style. So before I get to far into it I wanted to show you guys my pep work to see what you think. I'm not the best at peping and half the time I think I rush myself. But here is the pictures. Keep in mind this is my 3rd attempt.

Here are the pics:

11844-2012-03-08-13-13-34-484.jpg

11845-2012-03-08-13-13-25-660.jpg

11846-2012-03-08-13-13-44-158.jpg

After seeing MTB's Scale that he used on what I believe to be the Sharkhead version. I may be peping another one using his scale. But i wanna see what you guys think of this one first.:)

Pictures of my redone helmet:
12250-2012-03-17-13-56-47-718.jpg

12252-2012-03-17-14-28-22-993.jpg

After resin and partial glassing:
12251-2012-04-01-16-54-08-14.jpg

12253-2012-04-03-19-52-20-122.jpg

I'm having trouble separating the faceplate from the back. It has two almost three coats of resin.. And partially glassed on the inside. I don't wanna glass the rest until it's seperate. Any tips?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I used a dremel to separate the faceplate from my partially hardened helmet. Looking back I wish I had fully glassed the helmet before cutting because my faceplate didn't align perfectly and I had to do a lot of work on it later. Others may know better methods though, I'm not an expert by any means like many people on this forum!

Finish hardening everything before you separate it. Bondo and sand before you separate it. That way the helmet won't get deformed at all, and everything will line up the way it is supposed to when you do separate. Use a dremel to cut the pieces apart whenever you get to that stage

This an idea I had, but I'm not at the "glassing" stage so cant' confirm how well it works. Place a piece of paper between the mating faces (longer than the small lip on the parts). This should act as a barrier & stop the glass from stick to the side you don't want it to. Glass one section at a time.
When on side is done remove the barrier and repeat for the other section.
I hope this makes sense.

This an idea I had, but I'm not at the "glassing" stage so cant' confirm how well it works. Place a piece of paper between the mating faces (longer than the small lip on the parts). This should act as a barrier & stop the glass from stick to the side you don't want it to. Glass one section at a time.
When on side is done remove the barrier and repeat for the other section.
I hope this makes sense.

I actually really like this idea for two reasons, The first being that when I tried to seperate the two pieces. The 'Lip" where they meet started to rip and tear. The second is obvious lol because I wanted to try on the helmet when it was hardened before I bondo:lol.

The weather here in ohio is so crazy one day its 80 degrees the next its down into the 40s so I have to wait to go any further with that so I started the MK7 arms.

Ok, on the bondo stage I used way to much bondo:facepalm. So now I'm going back through and sanding and trying to get the shape right. as well as get holes out. here are a few pics:

2012-04-13_09-32-40_484.jpg

2012-04-13_09-32-47_380.jpg

2012-04-13_09-32-55_138.jpg

I really want to kick myself for overdoing it with the bondo. I think i tried to do to much to fast. Well I know I did because when i went to smooth it out it had hardened.:cry Oh well without mistakes we would never learn haha. Any tips on getting this back smooth :confused. and as far as shaping goes I could use some tips there as well. Please and Thank you.

haha i made the same mistake with my chest piece. im sanding/repairing it for a week now and am nowhere near finished.

are you sanding with a machine?

maybe i should get a sander or something, im doing it manually. any good sanders you guys can recommend?

haha i made the same mistake with my chest piece. im sanding/repairing it for a week now and am nowhere near finished.

are you sanding with a machine?

maybe i should get a sander or something, im doing it manually. any good sanders you guys can recommend?

I'm Doing it manually myself:unsure. But I do have a dremel with mini sanding pieces. But those are for the eyes and detail pieces only. So i'm just doing everything by hand with a sanding block. I take a piece of sanding paper and cut it into fours. Then wrap it around the sponge so I can gut the curves correctly.

lol I bet it does, But sadly I don't own one and the wife wont allow me to buy one for a helmet build haha. Another thing i'm having issues with is sanding it back down to the paper. I'm oversanding in one spot and under in another.

Get a solid block a sponge block will not give you the right sanding action. Use course paper when you start, once you get the basic shape go down in paper and add less filler at a time. And work your filler before it fully cures, it is far easier to do this way.
I did my build 100% by hand no machine sanding at all, with the odd shapes and rounded areas you simply will not have a good finish with a machine.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/iron-man-mark-iii-project-finhead-shin-99878/index3.html

Finhead, Just checked out your work! You have some amazing skills, hands down the best Ironman lid I have seen! Your tips are at the very top of my list to listen too lol.

No problem, if you search my name I have an old thread around here somewhere that has some tips etc on sanding and building the pep. I think it's still around anyway.
BTW that is not just a helmet build thread it's the whole suit you missed about 7 pages. ;) lol

No problem, if you search my name I have an old thread around here somewhere that has some tips etc on sanding and building the pep. I think it's still around anyway.
BTW that is not just a helmet build thread it's the whole suit you missed about 7 pages. ;) lol

I will for sure check that out. As far as the rest of the suit lol i'm still looking and the detail is amazing. I hope my suit turns out a quarter of the quality yours is lol:)

The 3-D prints are awesome man. I enjoy looking at your work lol. If you don't do this sort of thing for a living your in the wrong field haha. Anyways.

I tried out what you said about using a wood block instead. Worked 100 times better. I got a much better sanding job. Then I went over with another fine coat of bondo and it was so much smoother. Now I need to go out and get a finer sandpaper. I was thinking 120? Thanks agian finhead!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back