My Ironman Costume. (W.I.P)

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Dpeterson117, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Dpeterson117

Dpeterson117 Active Member

Hello everyone!

This is my first pepakura project, I have done costumes before this one, but not with this style. So before I get to far into it I wanted to show you guys my pep work to see what you think. I'm not the best at peping and half the time I think I rush myself. But here is the pictures. Keep in mind this is my 3rd attempt.

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After seeing MTB's Scale that he used on what I believe to be the Sharkhead version. I may be peping another one using his scale. But i wanna see what you guys think of this one first.:)

2. Dpeterson117

Pictures of my redone helmet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After resin and partial glassing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm having trouble separating the faceplate from the back. It has two almost three coats of resin.. And partially glassed on the inside. I don't wanna glass the rest until it's seperate. Any tips?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

3. superweasle

superweasle New Member

I used a dremel to separate the faceplate from my partially hardened helmet. Looking back I wish I had fully glassed the helmet before cutting because my faceplate didn't align perfectly and I had to do a lot of work on it later. Others may know better methods though, I'm not an expert by any means like many people on this forum!

4. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Finish hardening everything before you separate it. Bondo and sand before you separate it. That way the helmet won't get deformed at all, and everything will line up the way it is supposed to when you do separate. Use a dremel to cut the pieces apart whenever you get to that stage

5. Dpeterson117

Ok. I will just finish it before I seperate it. Thank you for the tips!

6. widescreen

widescreen Well-Known Member

This an idea I had, but I'm not at the "glassing" stage so cant' confirm how well it works. Place a piece of paper between the mating faces (longer than the small lip on the parts). This should act as a barrier & stop the glass from stick to the side you don't want it to. Glass one section at a time.
    When on side is done remove the barrier and repeat for the other section.
    I hope this makes sense.

7. Dpeterson117

I actually really like this idea for two reasons, The first being that when I tried to seperate the two pieces. The 'Lip" where they meet started to rip and tear. The second is obvious lol because I wanted to try on the helmet when it was hardened before I bondo:lol.

The weather here in ohio is so crazy one day its 80 degrees the next its down into the 40s so I have to wait to go any further with that so I started the MK7 arms.

8. Dpeterson117

More progress today:
    [​IMG]

9. Dpeterson117

Ok, on the bondo stage I used way to much bondo:facepalm. So now I'm going back through and sanding and trying to get the shape right. as well as get holes out. here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really want to kick myself for overdoing it with the bondo. I think i tried to do to much to fast. Well I know I did because when i went to smooth it out it had hardened.:cry Oh well without mistakes we would never learn haha. Any tips on getting this back smooth :confused. and as far as shaping goes I could use some tips there as well. Please and Thank you.

10. Dpeterson117

Also, Im using 80 grit sandpaper, Should I go to a finer sandpaper?

11. mattevans

mattevans Member

haha i made the same mistake with my chest piece. im sanding/repairing it for a week now and am nowhere near finished.

are you sanding with a machine?

maybe i should get a sander or something, im doing it manually. any good sanders you guys can recommend?

12. Dpeterson117

I'm Doing it manually myself:unsure. But I do have a dremel with mini sanding pieces. But those are for the eyes and detail pieces only. So i'm just doing everything by hand with a sanding block. I take a piece of sanding paper and cut it into fours. Then wrap it around the sponge so I can gut the curves correctly.

13. rensole

rensole Active Member

i use the bosch mouse for it :D its great but in the end you have to go over it by hand but it saves a f*kload of work tho :D

14. Dpeterson117

lol I bet it does, But sadly I don't own one and the wife wont allow me to buy one for a helmet build haha. Another thing i'm having issues with is sanding it back down to the paper. I'm oversanding in one spot and under in another.

15. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Get a solid block a sponge block will not give you the right sanding action. Use course paper when you start, once you get the basic shape go down in paper and add less filler at a time. And work your filler before it fully cures, it is far easier to do this way.
    I did my build 100% by hand no machine sanding at all, with the odd shapes and rounded areas you simply will not have a good finish with a machine.
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/iron-man-mark-iii-project-finhead-shin-99878/index3.html

16. Dpeterson117

Finhead, Just checked out your work! You have some amazing skills, hands down the best Ironman lid I have seen! Your tips are at the very top of my list to listen too lol.

17. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

No problem, if you search my name I have an old thread around here somewhere that has some tips etc on sanding and building the pep. I think it's still around anyway.
    BTW that is not just a helmet build thread it's the whole suit you missed about 7 pages. ;) lol

18. Dpeterson117

I will for sure check that out. As far as the rest of the suit lol i'm still looking and the detail is amazing. I hope my suit turns out a quarter of the quality yours is lol:)

19. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

20. Dpeterson117

The 3-D prints are awesome man. I enjoy looking at your work lol. If you don't do this sort of thing for a living your in the wrong field haha. Anyways.

I tried out what you said about using a wood block instead. Worked 100 times better. I got a much better sanding job. Then I went over with another fine coat of bondo and it was so much smoother. Now I need to go out and get a finer sandpaper. I was thinking 120? Thanks agian finhead!

21. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Yes 120 to 180 then prime with high build 2K primer if your able.

22. Tigerblood

Tigerblood Well-Known Member

Buy a rasping tool instead.

23. Dpeterson117

Quick question Finhead, Do you think it would be dumb to remove the back of the helmet before finishing? I wanna try to see its fit.

24. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

I would get it to at least a rough shape and make sure you have a min of 2-3 layers of matt on the inside before you think about cutting any pieces off. Trust me it will save you a huge amount of work trying to fit pieces back together.

25. Dpeterson117

Ok, So I ran into an issue I don't think I can fix.. Although I will give it a try. I was messing around and trying to see if the helmet would be close to fitting. I noticed it was lopsided. One side is out a little more than the other. Which I think is correct. but I dunno if it can be brought out without making the filler look huge and bulky on one side and thin on the other:angry.. Its most likely a mistake in my pep.

Pics here:
    [​IMG]

More thank likely its hard to see in the pictures but when its put up next to my head it sticks out like a sore thumb.

heres a birds eye:

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think. Because i'm thinking of scraping it....:cry

26. RumbleBee

RumbleBee Member

Believe when I say I feel your pain, don't give up though, you're making strides brother, good luck

27. Dpeterson117

Thank you, lol I guess its on to the 6th try.

28. Dpeterson117

The helmet did not fit so maybe this was a blessing in disguise? lol. I'm having alot of trouble with the scale of it. I want it to be snug but If I change the scale to fit it makes it sort of boble headish.

29. Dpeterson117

So I got my new finhead helmet recasted by Jowe last week! Thanks to Shades! It needed some tweaking that Jowe helped me out with. Thanks Jowe!

[​IMG]

Now I'm just working on two things, I've been trying these by myself but nothing has worked so far.

1st: making a decent eye system that looks good but can also be looked through. Nothing crazy just enough to walk without hitting a tree lol.

2nd: a hinge system! None of the ones I have seen have worked for fins helmet so far. I don't want to drill screws through this beautiful helmet. Mockle has some but I can't get ahold of him and I really wanna have these I'm by the 4th of may;) lmao

Any help will be appreciated.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

30. Dpeterson117

Bump. Tried the Led container agian. Cant seem to get a good enough shape. I used cardstock. Trying cardboard next.

31. mattevans

mattevans Member

Dpeterson117: Mate, I'm not sure if you still want to build a suit or not. You know I told you about my chest piece. I started to seriously doubt my ability to finish this project, and decided to buy a sander. I went out a few hours ago and bought the cheapest orbital sander for £10. I could not be happier! In about half an hour, I managed to sand my chest armor, to the point where I just need to work on the details and I can paint it.

Point is, if you did not already, go and buy a sander! The difference is just amazing! I have hope again :)