My Iron Man Mark IV Build

Good work so far. Its always a good idea to experiment when you first start doing this work. Did you build the helmet at default scale or did you have to scale it up to fit over your head?

I adjusted the helmet to scale up my head. I had problems with the default scale, its a bit narrow on the ears part. I am pepping the actual helmet hopefully I could finish it so that I can resin it on the coming weekend.

That is looking really goood! Do you have anything else done so far or have you been focusing on the helmet first? Looks wicked :)

how the heck did you make the eye sockets! lol, i'm having so much trouble and frustration trying to put mine together ='(

I've cut some parts on the pep file and I didn't include a piece. I used super glue to stick all the parts, quite messy holding the parts together before drying.

I see =) i've tried them twice so far and still manage to fail putting them together, I'm using super glue too. Been tempted to just buy a helmet that's ready for paint but think i'll have 1 more crack at it. cheers for the tip =)

I've laid two layers of fiber cloth to make my actual helmet sturdy so it won't crack when I'll be applying body filler on the outside. I laid the fiber cloth using double sided tape then I dabbed the first coat of resin using a brush. Then when the first coat had dried up, I laid the second fiber cloth or if it won't stick, I used double sided tape again then I'll be dabbing it again with resin until it is strong enough. As I had learned, you really need patience in making this kind of projects. Thanks again to the people responsible for these projects that exist here in RPF! All your efforts are well appreciated by us members!:)

I see =) i've tried them twice so far and still manage to fail putting them together, I'm using super glue too. Been tempted to just buy a helmet that's ready for paint but think i'll have 1 more crack at it. cheers for the tip =)

Don't give up dude! In my opinion try using a thicker paper rather than card stock to preserve the form in the eye piece. I'm using bristol board 3 ply. Here in the Philippines it is sold in sizes, I buy 20in by 30in bristol boards that I cut into 6 letter size parts. My printer accepts it. Thicker than 3 ply, the printer will have a hard time accepting it especially when using hp printer. I use card stock on the parts with narrow folds like the grooves that run in the temple part of the helmet running across the back of the head. All three helmets are made of bristol board.

Looks good. What size did you scale the helmet down to? I tried the default scale and it was a little to big for me also.

The default width is at 188 mm right? I adjusted mine making it 195 mm because I have problems having a narrow width with my ears. I had to cut a hole in the ears part as you can see in the picture and later I'll be gluing the disc to compensate the room for my ears. If I wont cut it, my ears will be folded and that's uncomfortable.

Started to apply body filler on the test helmet and I can say that I'm getting used to it. I had applied a thin layer of body filler using a putty knife, I'll sand it down until smooth enough then use spot putty on the uneven surfaces. I applied resin inside the actual helmet with the second layer of fiber cloth. Left it to dry also. If its not sturdy enough I'll lay the final layering of fiber cloth.

I had applied body filler on to the test helmet, spot puttied it then sanded, primed and painted for results on the images attached below. It has lots of dents and craters. Rushed work but that's a way for me to know what to do on the actual helmet.

Ear discs now sanded, body fillered, spot puttied and painted. here are the pics. Also, the cheek detail has been painted.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back