** My home made, from SCRATCH P1 Backpack **

Predator of Jax

Well, I figured I owed you guys something. I'm always asking questions and stuff!

I got a little fired up about 4 or 5 hours ago and said, "you know what? I'm gonna make this damn laser backpack for my costume.'

So, here are a few pics. Mind you, I started with boxes. Put more cardboard in it to brace off.... duct tape, scissors.... I mean that's about it. Using my NECA Classic figures pack as a reference.

The black stand for the laser is from a lint roller than I cut. I can swivel the cannon, but not by animatronics! ha... one day!

the form
verybegininng.jpg

tapping it up
beginning-1.jpg

swivel lint roller!!
get-attachmentaspx.jpg

FAAAAST FORWARD 4-5 hours... DONE SKIS!
floorshot.jpg

backonchair-1.jpg

onchair.jpg

onchair2.jpg

time to rock it... why not
me.jpg

onback.jpg

shoulder.jpg

Anyways... I now need some expertise on getting this sucker painted up.

I have some Rust-oleum Stone (gray with black flakes) textured spray pain.t I remember when I was little using this for my card board creations.

I want to paint the surface, but I didn't know if duct tape would hold the paint color?

I'm gonna blast the whole thing. I'm trying to also get the obvious duct tape crinkles and lines covered up. I figure with enough primer and spray it shouldn't be a big deal.

Along with some misc wire stuff like to the 'back of the pack'... that's all I had planned. Maybe adding some grooves and notches for 'effect'.

So yea... any feedback is coooool.... glad y'all looked. You cats inspired me to bring back my old creativeness that I locked up for awhile!

Rock on.

I wouldn't paint directly onto the tape.
Any gaffa props I made in the past I coated in PVA glue or hotglue... then primer, then paint.

Gives a much better surface.

PAPER MACHE THAT! paper mache helps alot dude. id try that. ive done it multiple times on lots of projects and its great. let it dry over night and ur good to go!

Not bad bro, pretty impressive for cardboard and duck tape :p Very well done, i'd use plaster strips to hardern that. I've used it for several peices, it goes rock hard and shall give ur P1 backpack a nice look to it which you'll be able to paint it without the paint job actually wearing or flakeing off.
Great work on it dude!

thanks dudes!

Does plaster strips correlate with paper mache?

Like, the same technique/purpose?
It's been a few weeks but I just now understood your question...

Plaster is a Gypsum based powder that solidifies into a hard 'stone' when mixed with water. Soaked bandages, burlap, hemp, etc will help its strength.

Paper mache is paper soaked in a liquid that will harden. Some people use water and white glue. Some Flower and salt in water. It won't be as strong but in most cases it's strong enough to do the job.

I'm generalizing a little but I think I summed it up and should be enough to google anything missing.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back