My head is finally finished!

Oberon1981

It has been a while in the making due to awkward things like real life getting in the way, but here is my head. Am working on other bits now too, but I think this is the head pretty much
boxed off for now.
Before I show the pics, here is my Kate Winslet-esque thank you list:

Bio (+ extra laser block) - Alienator (Mysteria)
Eye mesh/Laser shroud - Don Jarr
Lasers - Lee (he got from Hez originally I think?)
LEDs - PredatrHuntr (LEDS are now en route to the P2 bio I got from Lee)
Undermask/dreads - Monsterroom
P1 dreadbeads - Hez
AVP dreadbeads - Usurper
Wolf collar - farscape1/Hellkat
Earth magnets - some nice lady on ebay

Right on to the pictures. Comments welcome :(
Is the first time I ever did anything like this and the undermask was my first time ever wielding an airbrush. Tips welcome!

DSC00234.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

Thanks, hope ya like! :lol:

That looks great! Did you use a template/stencil for your mask painting? For the shapes and dots

All in all it looks great, nice work!

That looks great! Did you use a template/stencil for your mask painting? For the shapes and dots

All in all it looks great, nice work!

The lighter pattern was a kinda stencil idea I tried with bits of torn up paper to make the random breakup pattern. The dots were done by hand, and I reckon the worst part of it! But for a first try I quite like them. When I kidnap TMI and steal his painting power like Sylar my spots will be great.

Damn. Think I gave the game away...

Cheers guys!

Cheers guys/girls :(

Kotten, no the dreads are monsterrooms. When the mask was up on the sale thread I bought it and asked on the off chance if they had any dreads made up, and they had that set which was described as some that were thin, or with air bubbles etc. There is only a couple that are noticeable so I put them on the bottom layers and covered dodgy bits with dread rings. All worked fine for me :lol:
So big thanks to monsterroom for them :lol:

Am considering adding some odd details, like a few leather strips around the dreads and some odd beads and things. Just to add a bit of character. Any opinions? Would that be too much? I saw the thread (sorry can't remember whos it was off hand but will search later!) for some copper dread beads with facehuggers etc on them. May get 3 or 4 of those and swap them in. Just add some flavour...

im not sure if id like the leather strips around the beads...but the facehugger ones would do nicely. If you do make the odd bead things, i would make it more industrial style to match the other beads and bio rather than more of an elder type. But its all up to you. that mask is awesome.

Cheers guys :( About time I got something up here, seen some great stuff on here and wanted to add my own little contribution. Am hopefully gonna keep going til I have a whole suit.
I'd definately recommend Alienators bios, they are very well made.

Did someone say steak dinner? Mmmmmmm steak......

I want a Half Mask!
Its so expensive to get the whole set of dreads + mask, you're lucky to get this!

Yeah tell me about it! That's why I have been taking so long over it. I plan to make a whole suit, but am taking my time to pick fantastic pieces, and pieces that I can tie together with my own touches. I want to make my suit look like a pred but be distinctly mine. Is taking a while (that head alone has been about a year!) but am getting there. Bursts of productivity and long periods of saving up!

Yeah I see a lot sales and not sure what to get. I know I want half mask cuz they mostly for putting on Bios for display.

Do you or anyone here know who makes the biggest open face masks? What about dreads to go with them.
Another cost issue is If i get a raw mask to save some money, then I gotta buy special paints just to paint it.
What kind of paints go well on Latex? like what you did for your mask
anyhelp would be appreciated.

Yeah I see a lot sales and not sure what to get. I know I want half mask cuz they mostly for putting on Bios for display.

Do you or anyone here know who makes the biggest open face masks? What about dreads to go with them.
Another cost issue is If i get a raw mask to save some money, then I gotta buy special paints just to paint it.
What kind of paints go well on Latex? like what you did for your mask
anyhelp would be appreciated.

Well I'm no expert, but here's (some of!) what I know;

My undermask is a P1 style and came from monsterroom. As far as I am aware they are the only makers of these type of masks. I know Menegene has a P2 mask but in recent thread says the mold is broken. However he also mentions he may be making a new one at some point.
Another option is to by a full face mask and cut the face out, but that depends how cheap you can get it and if you can bring yourself to do it!
I painted mine with Daler Rowney FW Acrylic Artists Inks and some Liquitex Gloss Medium and Varnish. All done through an airbrush. However I am a complete novice on this sort of thing, this mask was the first thing I have ever painted with an airbrush and have never used any of those products before! So I recommend having a search round and reading threads on here. People like The Mortal Immortal and Usurper have a lot more experience at this stuff than I do, so check out some of their threads for better advice. However the airbrush, compressor, paints etc all add up. I went that route as I wanted to learn, plan to make a whole suit and want to paint the skin (hell knows where I will find space to do it...) but if you don't want to do that, it may be cheaper to pay someone to paint it for you. I do not know if monsterroom do a painting service and could do it before sending it to you, but is worth asking. If not, ask someone on here if it can be shipped via theirs. I'm sure someone will help, but just make sure it is someone you can trust (as far as possible anyway!)

The dreads I also got from monsterroom at the same time as the mask. I think the general consensus around here is that either monsterroom or Bambooie make the best dreads. From what I have read they are very similar in construction but with some subtle differences that come down to personal preference.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Oberon, You're a great help to me and all the noobs

Well I got most of the paints and air brushing for my own little Bio-Operation.
I got some the acrylic matte medium & acrylic paints being an artist so now all I'm missing is the Half Mask and dreads!
I've PM monsteroom before and the total cost for raw mask + dreads was like $300 :0
I may have to get less than perfect products as its just for slapping on a bio.

Haha noob? Not so sure about that, I know I could never make the bio you have!
Good luck with the mask/dreads whichever way you go. Maybe ask monsterroom for a blank raw mask? As the one I got was already foamed etc. Maybe if you get a blank one with no foam, it would be cheaper (also cheaper to ship) and if it is only for display, it may be easier to fill it yourself?

Again just a guess as I have never filled a mask, nor do I know if monsterroom would provide just a latex pull. Can't hurt to ask though...

Haha noob? Not so sure about that, I know I could never make the bio you have!
Good luck with the mask/dreads whichever way you go. Maybe ask monsterroom for a blank raw mask? As the one I got was already foamed etc. Maybe if you get a blank one with no foam, it would be cheaper (also cheaper to ship) and if it is only for display, it may be easier to fill it yourself?

Again just a guess as I have never filled a mask, nor do I know if monsterroom would provide just a latex pull. Can't hurt to ask though...

I've just PM him for stuff thats less than perfect, I told him that if i wasn't in CHina I be looking in his trash right now
Basically just give him the low down that "a jobless man looking for dirt cheap mask."

I've just PM him for stuff thats less than perfect, I told him that if i wasn't in CHina I be looking in his trash right now
Basically just give him the low down that "a jobless man looking for dirt cheap mask."

Haha worth a try! (Asking that is, not trash searching...)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back