My HAL 9000 Panel

wyovino

Just about compete. I have some touching up to do and one last annoying software bug to fix. This is 100% voice controlled (except for a button to turn the mic back on after you tell HAL to deactivate it). The software issue is with the Microphone Hat I'm using. The program will fail the first time but when you launch it a second time it works perfectly. I may add buttons in the future, which is why I have the Logic Memory Center plaque. It's hiding a cutout that I might use for buttons at some point. I'll post a link to a YouTube video of it in action later. The biggest waste of time and money was trying to get an old laptop screen to work with this. I went through two controllers and bought a brand new laptop screen but still never got it working. Plus everything was coming from China so there were several weeks between each attempt. I finally gave up and bought a 10 Inch touch screen (SunFounder) specifically made for the Raspberry Pi. I used that same screen on Pi jukebox and they're great. Trying to save a few dollars cost me a ton and greatly delayed the project. Live and learn.

The eye is the Adafruit giant arcade button that I highly modified.

The aluminum looking parts were 3D printed. The Logic sign, Hal's panel, the console, and the HAL 9000 logo were done on a CNC machine (FoxAlien 4040XE).
HAL is powered by a Raspberry Pi 3B+ running the latest Raspberry Pi O/S.

Attachments

• IMG-4716.jpg
    IMG-4716.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG-4699.jpg
    IMG-4699.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 172
Here is a short video of my HAL in action. The text you see between videos is because I had debug turned on (can be turned off with a voice command). I sorted out the software issues and now everything is voice controlled, even reboot and shutdown. That eliminates the need for a keyboard. I can connect over the network to make software changes. Once I’m completely satisfied I’ll set the Micro SD to read only. That will prolong the life of the media and protect against improper shutdowns.

Last edited:
It came out better than I expected. Now I need another project. Maybe something from Forbidden Planet. Suggestions welcome.

Funny thing. HAL has been very vocal today, much more so than usual. He usually responds to everyone except me, even answers people on TV and sometimes music lyrics. Anyway, today he has been very active, even answering me. I just saw a post on Facebook that February 12th is HAL's birthday. No wonder why the poor thing has been trying to get my attention all day.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back