My HAL 9000 builds (plural)

I'm looking forward to your studies with the modified peephole. Which option will be the winner?
Peephole fits better, is better construction, and easier to integrate into the rest of HAL. But after comparing both again after painting both black and modifying the lenses of the peephole... the cell phone camera lens is still the winner between the two.

The glass "eBay" lens is pretty good, but doesn't convey the depth of a real camera lens. I roughly emulated the design of the real lens and bought a bunch of lens elements from various Chinese lens manufacturers, and I think it helps a lot in simulating the complex and multi-reflective look of the real thing. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 03.51.44.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 03.51.44.png
    460.4 KB · Views: 115
The glass "eBay" lens is pretty good, but doesn't convey the depth of a real camera lens. I roughly emulated the design of the real lens and bought a bunch of lens elements from various Chinese lens manufacturers, and I think it helps a lot in simulating the complex and multi-reflective look of the real thing. :)
Well. If I had access to all that I’d probably go that route too.

It would be interesting to know how those guys did the effect of the reddish/yellow kind of light seen in the lens:unsure:

It would be interesting to know how those guys did the effect of the reddish/yellow kind of light seen in the lens:unsure:
The original lens contained colored filters in it. They rotated the dial to the red filter (R60 filter) and shined the light bulb through it.
I looked into an R60 filter and then bought a lighting gel sheet from a camera store that was as close as possible. Cut a small circle of it and stuck it inside my lens.

The warm white light passing through red filter material is what makes it look different than just a red LED.

What j_holtslander says. The bright tungsten bulb overwhelmed the thin red filter in the brightest area, and so the yellow light dominated in the centre.

Last edited:
The molded lenses (rejects) package I received from Flimzy:
(Curiously the glass Master Replicas' lens does NOT fit and the clear plastic lens is smaller in diameter!)

Incidentally I compared the Flimzy castings to the real lens and they're damn well spot on. Less than 0.5mm difference! Pretty impressive detail, as well.

And yeah, the SD lens is larger in diameter than the original Nikkor lens.

It would, however, stick way out the back of the HAL frame!
If you look at the Tested video with Peter Jackson, it does indeed stick way out the back. That's the problem we'll always have; in order to get that 'far away' look of the red light, it needs the reverse lensing effect of the entire array of elements in the original lens (essentially the reverse of what the fisheye is intended to do). In the same way we can't look through a the back of a single piece of glass and expect to see a fisheye effect. It's just a physics issue that won't be able to be solved if the unit is meant to hang flush on a wall.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back