My HAL 9000 builds (plural)

Update. Cut the slot for the aluminum divider. And did some test fitting with the speaker.
The speaker is indeed really rattling the frame. Definitely going to need a bunch of cushioning for it.
I'm amazed at how well the IR receiver picks up the remote' signal. It even works through a blackout layer of construction paper placed behind the drilled out Moebius grill!

Pics:

[Video] Comparing plastic “lens” to the glass lens. (Just sitting on top of the lens housing for now) Through the glass lens the eye seems to follow you. I covered the outside edge of the glass lens in black electrical tape to stop light from leaking in and creating a visible ring in the center of the glass.

Agreed, that's a great video illustrating the difference the glass lens makes. It's really night and day

Ok I think this is my final design for the nameplate on the back. (Sections that are white will be clear and show through to the silver metal.)

Because of the continuity issues between Dr. Chandra and Dr. Langley as HAL's instructor I opted to make the name hyphenated as a way to retcon it.

I made the install date fall on my friend's birthday as an easter egg.

This will be 3" wide and 4" tall. Rivets that will be being used have a 3/16" head.

I will be printing this as a water slide decal on this printer paper. (Amazon.ca link) which will be applied to another plate I'm ordering from CustomEngravingPlates.Com and attaching it with an Arrow Rivet gun I picked up at Home Depot.

mockup.png

You know how color temperature of light can thrown off the look of colors on objects?
I think that's really happened in the case of HAL's logo where everyone is assuming the logo is a nice blue even though on film it looked more teal-ish. I rewatched the Peter Jackson/Adam Savage HAL video on YouTube this evening where they looked at the prototype HAL under decent lighting with good modern cameras and I made screen captures and used Photoshop to try and figure out what color that little placard actually is. I'm convinced it's an aqua marine teal hospital-esque color and not the blue that is commonly seen in recreations.
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 6.15.04 PM.png

Always difficult to gage a color from screen caps without the proper Grey Scale...that being said, I would do the same as you: going for the teal-kinda-hue for my HAL;)

Ok I found this by total fluke today...
A.I. speech synthesis tool. (Kind of like "Deep Fake" but for audio.)

One of the options provided... HAL 9000. Haha!
It's not perfect but... (Unmute)

Have you tried using some of Hal's lines from the movie on the program and comparing them to the actual movie voice? Very curious how close the deepfake is. Maybe the program can mod the voice a bit

Cause the deepfake audio has a light or a noticeable British accent. If the program can tone down or remove the British accent, I think you could have near perfect Hal 9000 deepfake voice

But otherwise the audio is very close and that software is very awesome.
thanks for sharing this very cool find

Received a special care package in the mail today from Flimzy that’s very exciting. Castings from a mold from a genuine Nikor lens.

As I was warned ahead of time, they’re quite rough and not really up to the level that they could be used as-is on a HAL but they are good enough that a skilled metal worker could recreate perfect copies from. I will be visiting my fabricator guy in a week or so and will discuss with him the feasibility of creating a bunch of these lens housings to maybe offer to others here. I can’t imagine right now the price point they’d hit or even how many people would be interested given the difficulty finding good lenses. But I’ll look into it.

Pics soon.

Last edited:
It's getting really nice...and thanks for the link. Eager to see what your fabricator guy will charge for the lens.;)

More metal plates arrived today. They sent me a few extras just in case I guess. Printed out my final design on my waterslide decal paper. Was about to apply it when I stopped to read the directions and saw that the decal paper needs a couple of sprayed coats of clear coat before using. No time for that now. Will have to be a weekend thing.

Quality of the prints on the decal paper looks fantastic.
6EF79F7A-C445-4C18-A75A-F1D17AE9F168.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back