My Green Deadmau5 Head [WIP]

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Props n Stuff, May 20, 2012.

1. Props n Stuff

Props n Stuff New Member

Lately, I decided to undergo making a green mau5head, because I'm a fan of deadmau5, and because green is my favorite color. I only have one in-progress picture (below), because posting here was an afterthought, but there will be more. Also, as I describe the process I took, keep in mind that it is very vague.

I started off by getting a 13'' crawl ball from my local petstore, and then taking my dremel to it, to create the mouth, and widen the neck hole. Afterwards, i drew out the ears onto some insulation foam I got from Lowes. I cut it out, taped over the rough edges, And then proceeded to cover those ears in green fabric. I inserted a cut down threaded rod, that is inserted into a hole in the ball, and secured with a nut.

For the eyes, I got some plastic balls from Walmart (pics to be included later. I left the eyes at a friend's house). I cut them in half, and then painted them with some glow-in-the-dark spray paint I bought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The deadmau5 head as of 5/20/2012:
    [​IMG]

2. Detravoid

Detravoid Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice work so far! I've built my fair share of deamau5 heads and this is the same approach I take. The most annoying part would have to be wrapping the fabric around the head. A tip: disassemble the ball and wrap each half individually, then make small incisions where the screws go and screw it back together and you have a perfect seam. The only stitching you need to do is on the small cuts you made where the screws went in. Good luck on your build!

3. Props n Stuff

Props n Stuff New Member

Thanks for the tip! That was actually my biggest concern. I wasn't sure how I'd make the fabric lay flat. I'm not entirely sure what you mean though. Could you draw me a diagram, or something?

4. Detravoid

I used some stretch fabric to wrap the mau5 head, and spray glued it inside the helmet like this:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2926 by Detravoid, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_2927 by Detravoid, on Flickr

and this is what I meant by making small incisions where the screws would go.

[​IMG]
    IMG_2930 by Detravoid, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_2928 by Detravoid, on Flickr

so in the end it should look something like this when put together.

[​IMG]
    IMG_2931 by Detravoid, on Flickr

I have lots more pics from my build if you go to my flickr page. Hopefully they can help you on your build.

5. Props n Stuff

Props n Stuff New Member

My fabric isn't particularly stretchy. Any advice you can give to remedy problems caused by that?

6. Detravoid

Hmm the only thought that comes to mind would be to separate it into separate sections or quadrants, because working a large area the fabric will start to fold and wrinkle. It a tough problem. That's why I went with the stretch fabric.

7. Props n Stuff

Props n Stuff New Member

I wanted to go with stretch fabric but they didn't have any at the store I had to go to. I had to shop at walmart because we didn't have any fabric stores nearby, and I can't drive an hour away, being 16. So, I should do it in quadrants, set together the separate pieces, and do it that way?

8. Detravoid

Yeah that's my best advice, You're really limited with that fabric, so focusing on smaller areas would give you close coverage in my mind. I get my fabric from Joann's if you happen to have one nearby. I'm sure there are some people out there that have made it work with that kind of fabric though.

9. Props n Stuff

Props n Stuff New Member

We don't have a Joanns. Where I live is awful for propmaking. No major craft stores within an hour away. And I'll just have to make do, unless I wait.

10. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

nice start, your making me inspired to make one my self.

11. Props n Stuff

Props n Stuff New Member

[​IMG]

the mau5head's done. I'll probably take a few more pictures later.

12. DemonicMuffin49

DemonicMuffin49 New Member

um im not bagging on ur mau5 head but um the correct measurments on the actual head is 14 inches not 13 and they dont make 14 hamster balls so you would need a 14 inch acryilic globe

13. venturimyth

venturimyth Member

You could just proportion the size of everything to fit the 13" hamster ball. I made a Hello Kitty deadmau5 head for my wife and used a 12" globe because she has a small head and I didn't want her to have to carry around something huge while at one of his concerts last year. And FYI, yes you are bagging on him by pointing out the fact that the "normal" size head is 14". Since you are such an expert, please show us what you've got when it comes to being an expert maker of deadmau5 heads. I give you an A for effort, which is what is really is all about. This is one of the reasons I believe that Joel doesn't have a company who makes heads and sells them. He wants you to be creative and make something for yourself. It means so much more for you if you take the time and effort to make something for you, rather than buying it from someone.