My Grandfather's Prop (not SW however)

DLO Studios

So my Grandpa passed away last year (he was 95) and I was given the thing that he made while stationed in the Phillipinees during WWII.

[attachmentid=7930]

Its made compleatly out of bullets. The very bottom is just the end of a 40mm shell. Up from that is a .50 cal round. The rest I have no idea. He was a Blacksmith at one point in his life before joining the service. Everything flat on it is shell casings heated and pounded flat. At one point he got one shell that still had the primer left in it and blew his thumb clear off.. They sewed it back on and he was fine.

Isn't it just the coolest thing? I used to play with it as a kid. I'm really glad that I ended up with it.

Does anybody know what plane its suppose to be? My best guess is a B-25 Mitchell.

Oh yeah the props turn too. B)

It's a B-25. B-24's had four engines. Very cool though. There's a neat exhibit (at least the last time I was there) at the USAF Museum that shows things similar to this that POWs made in German camps.

Here some more pics.....

[attachmentid=7931]

[attachmentid=7932]

Ahh...much nicer pictures. :D

You can't see it in the pic but on the bottom of the 40mm shell is stamped the date 1943.

DLO being a military buff and fan of classic aircraft that piece rocks. I would say a B-25 for sure since it was the primary medium bomber used in the Pacific. I can't get over it's all shell casings. Your grandpa must have been a heck of a guy.

Yea...my guess is that it's the B-25 "Mitchell" bomber (named after Gen. Billy Mitchell). This plane was the one used to bomb Tokyo from the carrier USS Hornet, as described in the book/movie "30 Seconds Over Tokyo."

During WWII and Korea, "Ammo Art" was very popular. Ashtrays made out of artillery shells, lamps made out of ammo casings and bullets, and things like your beautiful plane. All hand made, most one of a kind. Congratulations on a nice family heirloom.

I would like to get a nice plastic or metal model to go along side it for display. Does anyone have any ideas? There are some nice looking one from the Franklin Mint (Armour??) on ebay that I'm looking at.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DLO Studios @ May 7 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]1240041[/snapback]</div>
I would like to get a nice plastic or metal model to go along side it for display. Does anyone have any ideas? There are some nice looking one from the Franklin Mint (Armour??) on ebay that I'm looking at.
[/b]

Get one of the carved wood ones that are made overseas. The realism and detail is fantastic and the prices are competitive. They sell them in stores and online. On eBay, look up "wooden model B25" and you'll see what I mean. Try this item # 6028439706, they will custom paint it, etc. if you had a particular version of the B25 in mind.

Those are nice. A little spendy. Does anyone know if there was a specific look to the planes stationed in the Philipinees. I've seen a lot of variations.

On a related note does anyone know where to find good pics of squadron emblems? The one I remember my Grandpa having had a eagle looking thru a spyglass on a falling bomb.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back