My Graflex ANH to TFA conversion build!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Bmkristiansen, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Bmkristiansen

Bmkristiansen New Member

Hello guys!

This is my first build. I recently bought a Graflex flash handle with bubblestrips, d-ring and grips from eBay. I knew early on that I wanted to convert it to a TFA inspired saber. Given the few reference photos, I'm not sure how accurate I can get it, but word on the street is that it's basicly a ESB without the second red button, and no textured mylar tape.

First up: reference photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered a ESB conversion kit from TFX right after I bought the Graflex. The grips came with pre-drilled holes and adhesives. What's sad is that the adhesive was really bad, but I went on with it anyway. The kit came with a Kobold style d-ring, which I find ok. The circut board is more grey than orange, so I'm not so sure how accurate it is.

[​IMG]

Unscrewed the old Parks d-ring.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to drill new holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did the clamp next. Pretty straight forward.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then off with the grips

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On with the new ones

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see that the adhesive doesn't hold down the grips enough to hold it in place. The hex screws is not even tightened that much. The grips is really soft, so it was hard to get them straight.

I chose hex screws instead of philips head and pop-rivets since I think they look better :)

Finished!

[​IMG]

Need to clean up some glue and try to straighten the grips a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. OBI WAN KEN0B1

OBI WAN KEN0B1 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks nice.

3. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Wow, that looks good! Thanks for the photos showing the build process.
    I'm currently hunting a Graflex 3 cell flash handle. I haven't built anything, prop speaking, yet, but would love to build a real parts lightsaber. You said that this was your first build? How difficult was it, once you got all the parts?

4. Bmkristiansen

Bmkristiansen New Member

It was pretty straight forward actually :)

5. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Sweet! That gives me hope.
    Thank you!

6. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That looks wonderful ... if the grips give you any issues ... you can always swap lateron to upgrade to a more accurate ESB set from Roy ... I see you found his blueprint already :)

Chaim

7. BlueHarvester

BlueHarvester New Member

Hey,

Nice build! I am looking at replacing the grips on my graflex and I was wondering what you used to remove the grips and glue to clean up the bottom tube?

8. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Same here, also interested to know how you cleaned the Graflex bottom.

Nice build by the way but I would replace the card by one from Slothfurnace or Roy to make it perfect. :thumbsup

9. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You can put the bottom tube in your freezer and the grips tend to fall off. If they don't, you can take dental floss soaked in nail polish remover and guide it under the grips to remove them; then continue cleaning the glue off with the nail polish remover and q-tips. This is a fairly laborious process but it works and won't damage the finish on a vintage flash.
    This worked for me with super glued grips.

10. BlueHarvester

BlueHarvester New Member

I have got the grips off fine but it's just the glue that is left so I will use some nail polish remove to get rid of it. Thanks for your help :)

Panaflex likes this.