my Ghostbusters props

Thank you!

Alas, it led me to go back and pay entirely too much attention to the 'reference material', and now there's something I CANNOT UNSEE!

Alex

Great catch.

Have you seen the guy in the cowboy hat, T-shirt and sunglasses on the Black Pearl standing behind Captain Jack Sparrow ?

Pirates.jpg

I'm aware of it, yes, though my eyes were not keen enough to spot it until after reading about it online some years ago.

About three years ago, I did spot a guy in the distant background of an Imperial crowd scene in Return of the Jedi putting on his eyeglasses, though.

He raises them up so he can see what's going on better, then lowers them again, probably confident in his distance from camera that no one would ever be able to see him.

I enjoy noticing something new in films I've seen dozens of times. In a way, it transforms the film and makes it both familiar and newly fresh. And that new thing becomes a touchstone. The next time I watch the movie, I'll flick away from whatever we're supposed to be looking at, like Bill Murray or Darth Vader or Jack Sparrow, and smile at that little detail that once jumped out at me, then go back to immersing myself in the story again.

Alex

I recently watched the old "Golden Voyage of Sinbad" as research for making the 3 part golden amulet. Sinbad has the first amulet piece, a small piece, and he finds a guy with the second piece. There is a partial chart on the wall, and Sinbad combines his amulet piece with the second amulet piece and holds them in front of a light, so the shadow reflects on the wall and the shadow combines with the chart on the wall to show them where to sail to, to get the third piece of the amulet. But, after Sinbad combines the amulet, it cuts away to a long shot to show the shadow on the wall for the chart. In the long shot, the shadow is of the THIRD amulet piece(that he doesn't even have yet), not the SECOND amulet piece that it showed him holding a moment before. It's a pretty big continuity error, but it went unnoticed by me for literally decades.

Last edited:
It's a shame, I dont see any of the pictures. :-(

What do you see ? Something that uses the word ATTACH ? Do you see the videos ?
I had a problem seeing certain pictures when I was using a VPN, it turned out the VPN was not letting me see third party hosted pictures.

If he's reading the thread from the beginning, a lot of the older pic links to my Facebook stopped working. I used to go back and edit them with updated links, but over time they would just disappear again.

I learned to compensate for this glitch by uploading the pics directly here on the RPF, or embedding a video link to YouTube.

Keep reading, there's plenty to see as time goes on.

Alex

I was looking up people's home movies of the Universal Studios Florida "Ghostbusters Spooktacular" attraction the last couple of days. I generally skew towards the 1990 version of the show, because that's the only one I saw in person in June of 1991. But I wandered into a video from 1994...

One of the first things the uploader shows is a closeup of a clever bit of set dressing to the revised 'containment unit' frontispiece.

Ghost Motel frame cap.jpg

I thought the 'Ghost Motel' and 'Zom-B-Gon' parodies of insecticides Roach Motel and Bug-B-Gon were incredibly fun and charming.

Using some very basic photo-editing software, I did a skew and a stretch to see how the box might have looked from straight on.

Ghost Motel skewed and stretched.jpg

I began to wonder what the text on the Ghost Motel box said. The first thing that popped to mind was that they would very likely have parodied the Roach Motel slogan, but changed it to "Ghosts check in but they don't check out".

The visible lighter spots did seem to support the correct number of letters (except where hidden by the edge of the shelf). No real way to know what the font was, so these letters are just placeholders at the moment.

Ghost Motel ghosts check in but.jpg

And then while staring at the upper right corner blurb, the middle word popped into focus as potentially saying "Slime".

Maybe "New Slime Recipe"? No, the top word looked like it was only two letters. Not "New", but maybe "No"?

From there it was a short leap to "No Slime Residue!"

Ghost Motel no slime residue.jpg

Now I'm really wanting to re-create the entire box and print/assemble one.

Alex

Two of the four items in this video are prop-related.

One is a new set of rubdown transfers for the Ghost Trap, produced by the same Arron Mack who did the Omni cover.

The second one is... well, it's a 3-dimensional replica of an item that only existed in 2-D, but I still think it counts.

Alex

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back