my Ghostbusters props

A new propbuilder messaged me on YouTube asking for a tutorial on how I made my KUD meter, so I threw this together primarily from old photos.

Alex

Last edited:
This doesn't really fall into a 'prop' category, but some of you might find it interesting anyway...

In the 1999 DVD audio commentary for Ghostbusters, Harold Ramis says, at approximately 24 minutes into the movie:

"We were thinking about what would be the center of the disturbance... different kinds of buildings or places all over the city... I remembered a rooftop in St. Louis which was a replica of a temple, and we started talking about the rooftops of New York. And someone produced a coffee table book called [Ivan Reitman interjects "Gargoyles and"] Rooftops of New York. And we saw all these interesting temples on tops of buildings and strange Gothic structures and they went with that as a design concept. Very interesting, I thought."

Recently, as part of a conversation on the Ghostbusters Archives page on Facebook, I went looking for any book called either 'Rooftops of New York' or 'Gargoyles and Rooftops of New York' and discovered no such exact titles exist.

The only close hit I got was a book called:

DSC06581.JPG

Top of the City
New York's Hidden Rooftop World
by Laura Rosen

The first listing that I saw was a later edition, and the post-1984 year seemed to indicate it was not the book used in planning the film.

But then I dug a little deeper and saw that the book was originally printed in 1982!

DSC06589.JPG

I found one on a website called thriftbooks.com for the low price of $4.26 and thought, "What the heck? I'll order one just for fun."

Within an hour, I got a Message via FB from someone in the know who said "You and your detective skills!" and said they too had tried to figure out which book Ramis meant, and in their case had occasion to ask Harold's daughter, author Violet Ramis Stiel, and she'd told them it was... you guessed it... the same book I'd just ordered.

It arrived yesterday and was very fun to flip through. I spotted several buildings that I'd visited on my NYC trip in 2014, especially those that were shown in the GB films.

Here's the building that they later used as the Museum in GB2.

DSC06598.JPG DSC06597.JPG

And especially intriguing was this very random skywriting message which the author happened to include in the book.

DSC06588.JPG

Could this have inspired the term "Terror Dog"? Fun to speculate.

I also bought a later book by the same author, it's from 1998 so no connection to Ghostbusters, but what the hey it was also only $4.

DSC06582.JPG

Alex

Remember the wreck we had in 2015 which totaled my buddy's Ecto?

He's building a new motorized 'sniffer tower' for the replacement car, and coincidentally on the 35th Anniversary of Ghostbusters, he presented me with the old one.

He said "This is your trophy for almost dying."

We were at a fundraiser for Children's Miracle Network that day.

Alex

Attachments

• DSC07009.JPG
    DSC07009.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 175
Although you can have 5x7 giant playing cards professionally printed, you would have to upload custom graphics for both sides of the cards. The correct rider back and the correct oriented symbols. The problem is that they might not choose to print the cards with the Rider back, because that is protected by copyright. If you could sneak it past them, you could print several decks with everything correct.

Updates to my 'Ghostbusters Montage' newspapers and magazines, from two amazing replica makers.

(At 3:36, I said 'USA Today' when I meant to say 'Omni'. Mea culpa.)

Alex

I need that hat, hahah.

The GB logo ballcap? It was a 'dad hat' sold by Spencer Gifts a couple of years ago.

It replaced a similar looking hat which I bought in 2011 or so. That one also had the word 'GHOSTBUSTERS' across the back, though, which to me always seemed to damage the 'illusion' of us being actual Ghostbusters when I wore it with my flightsuit and pack.

The older one had begun to fade a dark brown color, which was possibly due to me washing it a few times to get salty sweat-stains off of it after summertime events.

This new one isn't quite as warm as the old one, so hopefully it won't cause the salt issues.

Over in the minus column, though, its bill is attached ever so slightly asymmetrical, which tortures me. One side dips down noticeably lower than the other.

Thanks for checking in! I sometimes forget when a vid is 'prop-centric' enough to share here.

Alex

Last edited:
Awesome review of the hat. I like the smaller size No-Ghost on it. Honestly, I haven’t even looked into any Ghostbusters hats.

But a Ghostbusters hat has been on my mind lately. I found a company I like and they produce great hats of a bunch of styles. AS Colour is the company. I especially like their ‘dad hats’.

Anways, I bought a couple blank hats. Having some extra No-Ghost patches my plan was to sew one on. The Hat-to-patch ratio looks off to me though.

After seeing your new post I had to comment on it, hahah.

Hey folks, if any of the older video links don't work for you, it's because I've been archiving my 1000+ videos in case this COPPA thing makes YouTube disappear altogether. While I was saving them all to a backup device so they'd be in one place together, I clicked them all to a Private setting temporarily.

But here's a new one that brings an old stalled project back from storage...

Alex

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back