My Galactica and other efforts

sleepless

Sr Member
hello all

Brad from Australia here, was interested to read the posts about the studio scale Galactica, thought I would throw my effort into the mix. My web page is www.brisfx.com.au look under resume gallery, I would love some feedback.

Brad

How much are you selling your Galactica model for???

picResGalactica1.JPG

picResGalactica2.JPG

Sorry buddy not for sale it has taken years, this is the second version after I discovered my first wasnt accurate enough. I would have about 90% or more accuracy with kit pieces and its a labour of love. Besides shipping from Australia to anywhere would be a killer.

Beautiful work! I'm wondering how your blueprints compare to Charles Adams' effort accuracy/detail-wise (if you've seen them)?

Mark Snyder
Seoul, Korea

Before you answer that Sleepless you need to contact Chris P.

Your Galactica is nice but, too bad your labor of love uses lots of castings. Why not use all kits like I am on all the Galactica replicas I'm doing? It cost WAY MORE but it will be pure like the original was made. The Raider your molding for the bottom of the Galactica was my remaster for Custom Replicas. It was based on a distorted second gen pull. I now have a real Pyro and know all the missed parts and contour mistakes. Not many but enough for me to want to build another one.

Back to the shop.

M

Well what can I say, would be lovely to have access to all the original kits to canabalize, unfortunately I dont have a bottomles pit of money to secure them as I am sure most people don't. I am very happy with my Galactica, after all its all about the enjoyment I thought. Love to see some pics of your Galactica M.

I will be posting LOTS of picts in the near future of all my Galactica replicas. I need to make sure they don't divulge the promises I was told to keep. Know what I mean
icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes, I do agree Brads and the others Galacticas I have seen are looking good. After all, there were several Battlestars and differences in detail will make them stand out as the variants of the design as is what happens to most ship classes built at different times. Like the Y-Wings
icon_smile.gif
No two are the same, Unless uncle George wants them to be
icon_wink.gif

Saintg, you do great work yourself! Nice site. I like your character builds. And your props
icon_eek.gif
one word ROCKETEER!

M

A very nice Galactica replica. What a unique challenge, many have tried but no one has ever quite got it right.

As far as how this effort compares with my plans, well I was working mainly from photos when I drew the plans and did not have all of the kit parts to measure. But I still managed to get it about 90% on proportions. My plans do require a minor bit of "tweaking" here and there to fit the parts exactly, but not a lot.

Your bays, main body, and engine section look great. There are some issues as you know with the shape of the head. I would also point out that your aft bay endcaps look great, but the front ones are a bit off, and the engine openings are supposed to taper quite a bit on the inside.

This is purely constructive criticism mind you, I for one can TOTALLY appreciate the amount of work you put into this. I look forward to seeing the finished product! Keep up the good work. . .

Charles Adams
http://www.StarshipBuilder.com

I agree Charles, it is near to impossible to get it 100% accurate. I know of the short falls with mine but you get to the stage of being happy with what you have done, and when it all boils down to it, after all things should be kept in perspective. It is just a model from a 27 year old tv show and not the "Holy Grail" that needs to be shrouded in secrecy. I think you have done a great job with your blueprints and I am sure that people that have acquired them from you are very happy.

Brad

". . .after all things should be kept in perspective. It is just a model from a 27 year old tv show and not the "Holy Grail" that needs to be shrouded in secrecy. "

Very true!
icon_smile.gif
But we all need to remember there is a reason for the unique situation regarding this particular miniature. If it were on public display and well photographed like the Star Wars miniatures, everyone would have "equal access" and nothing would be "shrouded in secrecy." But that's not the case here -- this miniature is in the hands of a private collector, shut away from the public, and so info on it is just not available. That makes the process of recreating it many, many times harder.

Kudos to you for getting as close as you have with your project. Others simply need to understand how truly DIFFICULT it is to reach that level of accuracy. It took me 5 YEARS of drafting, study, and research to get the proportions figured out! That might help explain why I have not been publicly posting my blueprints for all to see. . .

O.K., you guys have piqued my curiosity.

First off, it's great to see a Galactia thread around here. I did some searching on the Net for Galactica reference, and was surprised at the number of people who'd built or are building the big G. A friend of mine was interested in taking a crack at a studio scale G, and since I'd been spending years (and $$$) researching the SW miniatures, I told him I'd give him a hand. Afterall, half the fun of this is trying to I.D. kit parts. After about a month of looking, I told him there weren't enough decent photos of the miniature to build an accurate model.

So. . . I just gotta ask. Are there better reference pics out there? I don't mean to step on anyones toes, since I know how we SS modelers tend to be with our information.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the answers, Charles and Brad! I know both of you have worked very hard to get as close to 100% as you have given the circumstances that limit access to the filming miniature. I was just wondering how the two set of plans compared, sort of an objective-as-possible review by the author, and I think I got that.

Thanks again!

Mark Snyder
Seoul, Korea

What I want to know is where is the list of parts used to make the kit bash, and who is going to offer a kit for sale?

That's simply not feasible. It would be like offering an 8 1/2 Star Destroyer kit for sale -- who could possibly afford it???

There is upwards of $10,000 worth of kit parts on the Galactica at today's prices -- and the more people out there trying to build replicas, the more expensive it gets. Every day the price goes UP.

With well over a thousand individual parts, the cost of molding and casting it would not be practical either.

Well, in the method of construction currently used it is understandable. However im sure that some out side the box thinking could allow for different construction techniques that acheive similar results.

For instance if you were to break the model down to individual panels and lay them out in a cad program, they could be machined into a pattern.

I can easily see that the details are huge and the amount of individual parts are equally huge. However, material cost wise when looking at it from a manufacturing point of view is not any where near the price people seem to think.

Todays large format cnc machines can easily lay waiste to the most complex designs. The real cost is in the initial design of the cad files. Most of which talented individules have already started to construct in variouse non manufactureing disciplines. A 6-8 foot long galactica would cost very little if the pattern were machined on a large table from MDF and vacuume formed from sheet styrene. Even machining and partially assembleing the basic panels would be moldable.

The real point I guess is what would the manufacturing of such a coveted model do to its price. Would the availability of such a kit destroy its value and desire to build. Also from the point of view of the manufacturer, is such a huge model something to even consider, with the amount of space it will take up.

Hey Brad,

Incredible custom Battlestar Galactica!!! By the way, did you ever finish making your Cylon undersuit from a few years ago? If so, are you selling any? Please post pics if you have any. Thanks.

Wow! That is so awesome! Great work!! I'm curious on how heavy it is overall? Did you just move it outside for some pictures? Again, great job.
icon_smile.gif

That is absolutely terrific.

You're doing probably exactly what I would do. Make castings and replicate the parts that way.

The only reason they didn't do that in the first place on the studio original was because buying the kits was cheaper at that time.

If a studio decided to make a replica for some reason these days, you can bet money that they'd do it like you're doing it. The bottom line is $$$. A resin casting looks no different to the camera than an original kit part.

You're doing an incredible job. Bravo to you!

-Gordon

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back