My friends anime style hot chick figure

TheSt.LouisKid

Sr Member
For lack of a better place to post I am posting here in General Modeling area.

As some of you know I am getting more into drawing digital files and learning the newer processes for making props and models. My friend was painting this SLA made chick figure from the place where he works. This is not a figure for sale(nor are there kits etc) but I thought I would mention it because when thinking of SLA prototyping people frequently think of mechanical objects.

Click on the link:
Custom Finished High Resolution SLA Model of a Fantasy Figure - Realize Inc Rapid Prototyping - YouTube

Another thing to look at is my friends use of paint to create shadows in the fabric. As long as I have been doing this sort of work that is something I still have trouble with at times so I can help but envy him. The wood grain was something that came out really well which is something I feel is worth mentioning since having worked in the toy industry I used to hear people comment of how wooden objects were seldom effectively rendered...even by hand.

So just kinda an example to show what other kind of cool things can be done by this process. For the time being it's the closest to a Star Trek replicator. I find it facinating and perhaps you will too.

For lack of a better place to post I am posting here in General Modeling area.

As some of you know I am getting more into drawing digital files and learning the newer processes for making props and models. My friend was painting this SLA made chick figure from the place where he works. This is not a figure for sale(nor are there kits etc) but I thought I would mention it because when thinking of SLA prototyping people frequently think of mechanical objects.

Click on the link:
Custom Finished High Resolution SLA Model of a Fantasy Figure - Realize Inc Rapid Prototyping - YouTube

Another thing to look at is my friends use of paint to create shadows in the fabric. As long as I have been doing this sort of work that is something I still have trouble with at times so I can help but envy him. The wood grain was something that came out really well which is something I feel is worth mentioning since having worked in the toy industry I used to hear people comment of how wooden objects were seldom effectively rendered...even by hand.

So just kinda an example to show what other kind of cool things can be done by this process. For the time being it's the closest to a Star Trek replicator. I find it facinating and perhaps you will too.

Yeah, I've been using .SLA and STL for a few years now. I'll have to get mesh and figure photos of my custom Seven of Nine figure up, but that's for another thread.

Yep, pretty interesting technology, and they just keep on pushing the envelope with it.

Laika Animation Studios started using this technology on Coraline and have continued to do so on their current production, ParaNorman - they print interchangeable faces for the stop-motion puppets... in color :eek

The reason for this is because if all the different faces were hand-painted after the fact, the paintjobs wouldn't all be exactly the same - and this would cause problems in the animation process.

There's a short article about the 3D printing at Laika here:

Yesterday Was the Day I Learned Replicators Are Real at LAIKA | Blogtown, PDX

And you can see an example of some of the faces for one of the ParaNorman characters here:

Instagram

I've also heard that it's possible to print with two different materials, also in color, simultaneously within the same object - I guess the Laika RP Department did a test where they printed a zombie figure that had flexible "flesh" encasing a rigid, articulated, movable "skeleton."

And here's the most amazing thing to me - apparently the technology is being utilized - in tests - for printing human organs :confused

Here's a video where one of the doctors involved with the project talks about it:

Anthony Atala: Printing A Human Kidney

Very nice work! :cool

I'm partial to the 3D-Systems Pro-Jet Printer.
Getting stuff done in UHD ( Ultra High-Definition) or the New XHD (Xtra-Ultra Hi-Definition), the resolution is great, and a bit cheaper than most SLA
I also had a number of clients ( for Disney,toys and such) who get their stuff grown on an OBjet machine,

The Objet cheaper than the Projet, but the resolution is only comparable to the Projet's SD (Standard Definition)
Though Objet has new "stuff" in the works)
They currently have 20 different types of materials , their new machines will be higher def and able to print multiple materials (with different properties)
on the same object.

I hear their latest prototype will have 8 jets/printer heads/ including capable of CYMK colors
I hope they don't take too long to come out with it.

I'll have to check out the firm you listed I'd like to experiment more with SLA
What are the properties of the material,
Does it "machine" very well?

A lot of folks don't realize that even with RP there is still some traditional "benching" and "finishing" work to do as as if it were "hand" fabricated

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back