my foam war machine

firebapx

hey guys this was my first ever attempt at a foam costume and as you can see it didnt go very well at all lol. but still its because of builds like this that you learn and move on.
since making this one iv learned a few things one patients is the most valuable tool when making these suits. two because i cant get eva foam floor mats and im having to use camping mats they need to be reinforced on the inside three dont try to make a removable faceplate its its not reinforced to keep its shape and 4 foam dulls scissors quickly lol
since taking these pics i have made a much better helmet i hate the one in these pics.

i also didnt scale my templates when making it so as you can see its quite large on me. im not making an iron man suite out of this foam and every piece gets about 4 layers of paper machey on the inside of it it makes them really solid and they hold there shape amazingly well ill be starting a wip of my iron man soon.

also any uk based builders give me a shout out not many of us on here lol

I've had a few failed attempts at the Mark V, and have found it difficult to locate decent foam in the UK, but spotted the link above in a different thread a few days ago and ordered. I'm looking forward to getting down to business.
I think you've done a pretty decent job given what you are working with.
Good luck with the Iron Man. :)

Nice. I am working on a Dark Knight foam build. We will see how it goes. Anyone know a good way to smooth out edges? Does a dremel tool work well?

Nice. I am working on a Dark Knight foam build. We will see how it goes. Anyone know a good way to smooth out edges? Does a dremel tool work well?

i find its pretty hard to get the edges on foam to go smooth your best bet is just to try and cut it smooth. dremels are good for details on the top of the foam but if your try so sand down a whole side ill just look rough the foam doesn't seem to smooth out to well with sand paper or any type of sanding best bet would be a pair of scissors and try to cut it the way you want it thats just my experience with it though

Last edited:
You got it bro, keep on trying to make a better job, you have the motivation, skills coming soon you will see it.

dude i know you said this didnt go too well. but i really like this. i built my mark 6 from camping mats aswell. i like it cuz its really light.
i know what you mean thoigh about not being able to make the faceplate removable.

but any way i like this suit alot dude

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back