My first suit build EVER (budget)

Night Wing Pred

Okay, this is my first suit build EVER, and on a budget. So take it easy on me, alright lets get started.

I started with the chest piece, I purchased a muscle shirt from my local costume store. Afterwords I went to a hobby store and aquired two bottles of acrylic paint, one black, one brown. I painted the details on to the chest piece, cut up an old fishing net I had, sewed it on and got this:
PIC_0241.jpg

For the legs I purchased some warm ups from a thrift shop and, like the chest, painted the details and sewed on some netting:
PIC_0237.jpg

For the feet, while I was at the costume shop, I purchased some monster feet and painted on the details:
PIC_0248.jpg

Now onto the armor, which all of it is made out of cardboard using Vinman's templates(thanks).

Shoulder Bells:
PIC_0243.jpg

Upper arm pieces:
PIC_0250.jpg

Now for the COD and but flap pieces I made them and sewed them onto an old belt of mine:
PIC_0262.jpg

PIC_0264.jpg

For the computer gauntlet I used the pringles can method:
PIC_0273.jpg

PIC_0274.jpg

I also bought a caveman tooth necklace for the bone necklace:
PIC_0265.jpg

For the hands I got some zombie hands from the costume shop and painted on the details:
PIC_0275.jpg

PIC_0276.jpg

PIC_0277.jpg

Lastly the bio helmet, I was going to use a bio that I made myself out of cardboard:
PIC_0233.jpg

PIC_0236.jpg

But decided instead to use a mask from the costume store:
PIC_0227.jpg

I added on some see through black fabric onto the eyes. For the dreads I got a plastic hose and cut them into 32 pieces, 15 in lengths of 22", 17 in lengths of 15" after that I sewed them on instead of glueing so they could flail around:
PIC_0278.jpg

PIC_0279.jpg

PIC_0280.jpg

So now all I have left to do is:
the chest piece
Wrist blade gauntlet
thigh pieces
shin pieces

But this is the suit so far:
PIC_0281.jpg

PIC_0283.jpg

PIC_0285.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed it!!

kudos to you for putting in all the time and effort to come up with all the pieces. it doesnt matter to me that you had a small budget, because you obviously put a lot of time in to your suit.

great work!

but why is that pred stalking the hallway? is he looking for the bathroom? :eek:

Not bad. A couple of suggestions for when/if you decide to upgrade.

Check Walmart or sporting goods stores for underarmor pants. They are essentially a spandex garment that can be painted and will be skin tight.

Since you have some experience with Vinmans templates (they are absolutely fabulous aren't they?), Try some foamies.

Now the mask could use some help. I would stuff it with some foam to help it keep its shape better.

Great idea on the dreads!

All in all not a bad job for a first time budget build.

Not bad on being on a budget. I thought you might want to check out this YouTube example on how this gentleman made his Predator costume on a budget. I hope this will help you out in providing some new ideas to your Predator costume.

Predator Costume

why is that pred stalking the hallway? is he looking for the bathroom? :)

lol I just didn't want to walk to my local park with a forest in it*non-sarcasm*

Check Walmart or sporting goods stores for underarmor pants. They are essentially a spandex garment that can be painted and will be skin tight.
Since you have some experience with Vinmans templates (they are absolutely fabulous aren't they?), Try some foamies.
Now the mask could use some help. I would stuff it with some foam to help it keep its shape better.
Great idea on the dreads!
All in all not a bad job for a first time budget build.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I'll try to do that. By foamies it would mean anything like that soft colorful foam?

I thought you might want to check out this YouTube example on how this gentleman made his Predator costume on a budget. I hope this will help you out in providing some new ideas to your Predator costume.
I plan on going back to the costume store for the hands and going with his idea of support in the gloves.

Thanks for the comments guys, does anyone have suggestions for keeping the armour on, I used velcro for mine.

Yes, foamies are those sheets of foam you find at most craft stores that are brightly colored. I know a lot of members have had great success with them. They can be painted any color you want, and hold up fairly well.

You are most welcome. I myself am doing a budget build, well upgrading a previous one anyway. As time goes on you will continue to tweek your suit, it is an addiction. LOL

Small update:

I made a neck ring using cardboard as a base and putting on foamie scraps I saved:

PIC_0294.jpg

I also gave my mask face support using foam on the cheek spaces:

PIC_0296.jpg

PIC_0297.jpg

I also added a foamie tri-laser:

PIC_0298.jpg

PIC_0300.jpg

Lastly I found an old piece of my broken telescope that really resembles
a smart disk, I'm going to cut it in the appropriate places to finish the job:

PIC_0291.jpg

PIC_0292.jpg

PIC_0290.jpg

PIC_0289.jpg

Thank you for watching.

thanks dude!

Also this is my to do list:
Make new armor out of foamies
Buy rubies gloves and make certain modifications
buy skin tight underarmor pants and paint them into pred legs.

Looking good! Does that neck ring bite into your chin at all? If so check out Armour Archive for templates on Gorgets that may help.

I thought you might want to check out this YouTube example on how this gentleman made his Predator costume on a budget. I hope this will help you out in providing some new ideas to your Predator costume.

Predator Costume

Hey, that's no gentleman -- that's ME.

:)

That build was intended to be quick, easy and cheap for people who are making zero-budget fan films.

Since I did also want a "real" suit, I've just finished upgrading the whole thing. Photos in the Trophy Room, in the "My First Suit, Finished" thread.

This is really cool to see how you used all kinds of stuff for your costume on a budget. It really helps me out too, because it gives me confidence knowing that you can build great suits on budgets, because I will definitely have to keep the cost down when I make my own. Yes, ive made that official....

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back