My first steps to Shawshank!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by pmkane, Aug 31, 2015.

1. pmkane

pmkane New Member

So ever since I saw Adam Savage's passion for movie props/replicas over on the Tested site, I've had a bug about starting a small collection of my own. But what film to do? So many to choose from. One of my favorite films is Frank Darabont's adaptation of Stephen King's Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. The Shawshank Redemption was a fantastic movie and has some pretty memorable props that I thought I might be able to scrounge up and/or recreate.

A quick search of the site revealed that I was not alone in this . . . and offered up a wealth of information for me to get started on! As easy as it would be to purchase some pieces from those amazing artists on here that have made available their own replicas . . . for me, the thrill is in the hunt and/or the meticulous recreation for myself!!

So I am happy to offer up my very first piece! The R. M. S. The Queen Mary tin that Red digs up at Andy's mysterious behest . . . Snagged it on eBay for $25 w/ shipping . . . not a bad start, I think. I plan on finishing the contents of this piece first, then moving on to the other memorable pieces!

Tin.jpg

Thanks for having a look . . . this is my first attempt at putting together a prop/replica collection . . . very eager to move forward on this one!!

-pmk

collectionaire and Utri like this.
  2. pmkane

pmkane New Member

Another piece for my collection came today! While not screen accurate, it's an pristine, 1962 Cattle Punching on a Jack Rabbit postcard! My plan is to us this original to create a fresh scan, add the white border, design the back based on screen captures and print it out on card stock, merging the front and back together, trimming and done! Found it for $3.00 on Etsy!!

Postcard.jpg

Next up . . . found a beer bottle! Stay tuned!!!

-pmk

3. EmmaInCandyland

EmmaInCandyland Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck and welcome to the family :)

4. MAKE BELIEVE

MAKE BELIEVE Sr Member

Nice start. Shawshank Redemption is a great movie with lots of props to collect (one of my favs too)
    RPF member Kurtboy sells (or used to) Shawshank paper prop replicas
    I'll keep on eye on this thread
    Welcome aboard!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  5. pmkane

pmkane New Member

Thanks for the welcome, folks!!!

So my first rookie mistake . . . picked up a Bering cigar box as part of my collection - only to realize, when it came in, that it wasn't the Imperial brand! This one will suffice until I turn up a screen accurate one!!

Bering.jpg

6. EmmaInCandyland

Could you show me the difference? I think I have the same box and I'm pretty sure it was screen accurate?

7. pmkane

pmkane New Member

EmmaInCandyland - Here's a screen shot from the movie . . . Mine says Corona Royale on it . . . the movie box says Imperials. It might be slightly smaller than the Corona Royale, too . . . the hunt continues!!

Imperials.jpg

EmmaInCandyland likes this.
  8. EmmaInCandyland

Ah, it's such a small thing, I've never realized it haha

9. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Only the Imperials box will hold all those chess pieces ;)

Welcome to the hunt, pmkane!

-Ss

10. EmmaInCandyland

What are the dimensions of the Imperials box?

11. ssdesigner

Outside dimensions of the Imperials box are:
    Height: 6"
    Width: 8.75"
    Depth: 2.75"

12. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

if its the wrong box, turn it into a cigarbox guitar and play the heck out of it. ow sorry, wrong forum :p

13. ssdesigner

14. collectionaire

collectionaire New Member

I also have 5 or 6 Bering Imperials boxes for trade